3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

KORE now has competition!!!! A good thing.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While browsing suspension kits I found the Carli system available online here:

http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/CS-S1-3G.html

Does anyone know if this system provides a true 3" of lift when equiped with the Cummins?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by hognutz
so how bought that new competion for kore.
Is defiant actually selling lifts yet.
Sage did mine about 3 weeks ago, hydraulic bump stops going on prolly this Friday, and soon as his dual steering stabalizer is ready to go we're doing that as well. Ride is awsome, haul roads and open pit mines are now a breeze, the faster the better. As I undersand it a local fella who rages Baja frequently is running Carli as well, and sez:

"Carli's Suspension has conquered the biggest and baddest that Baja has to offer without compromise....tried and tested in Baja and the deserts of North America."

So yeah, he's selling performance suspension that works, and works well. And from a customer service standpoint I couldn't be happier working with Sage. Top notch!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:13 PM

Hey heres a bad idea lets see if we can get Sage to tell us about his system.
Just kidding moderators I already talked to him.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:14 PM

yeah it seem like the lorenz towers shine a bit price wise.
Don Thuren's towers are 1/2" taller than Sean's and they cost less than half as much....
Old 02-15-2006, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cowhand
Don Thuren's towers are 1/2" taller than Sean's and they cost less than half as much....
true. they would proably be fine for me. I just need something better than stock. how do you think they are strenght wise? do you know what material they are made out of?
Old 02-15-2006, 05:40 AM

http://thurenfabrication.com/dodgeshockmts.html On here they look to be welded steel. Ahhh. My first succesfull link post
full
Old 02-15-2006, 09:03 AM

true. they would proably be fine for me. I just need something better than stock. how do you think they are strenght wise? do you know what material they are made out of?

Stronger than anything I've thrown at them so far...
They're made out of mild steel, but I have no idea what grade. I can find out though

I wouldn't worry about the strength though, I would think the only way you're gonna rip the tower out is if you bottom the shock out and keep going..
Old 02-15-2006, 09:42 AM

I like the Thuren ones...they will be my OEM replacements soon. From the looks of them, they are PLENTY strong. If some one gives my the dimensions and thicknesses...I can build a 3d finite element analysis to try and estimate the force that would actually be required to yeild or cause a fracture failure.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:31 PM

Material is .250 1018 mild steel. IIRC, distance from the bottom of the mount to the shock bolt centerline is 5.75".

I'd have to measure the rest, what dimensions do you need?
Old 02-15-2006, 02:25 PM

I need basically all of the dimensions to recreate the "shape" in a plate analysis...

outside dia of mounting ring
inside diameter of mounting ring
mounting ring bolt circle dia
mounting bolts diameter
height
width of tower "arms" top and bottom...
radius of material above the top shock bolt...
shock bolt hole diameter
etc etc etc.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:14 PM

Wow... From good, to bad, to ugly.... and now getting back to good again.

I usually stick to the sidelines here, but this is a topic I am quickly getting serious about wanting to look into.

I want to piece together a suspension which would be better than the "bolt-on kits," which have questionable functionality. The problem is that I want a taller lift than 2.5"s. I want to put together a 4-5" suspension which would be as good or better stock, but would clear 37" tires. My truck will never see the dunes (well, maybe never is a bad word ).

I would use Thuren's Shock mounts and Fox Shocks w/ resevoirs. Probably a drop pitman arm from an aftermarket lift company. Custom contol arms would probably be required. Who can I contact about making me custom, high quality springs for that ride height? Is there anything else I would need to get to make it work?

Or maybe I would be better off buying a Skyjacker or fabtech lift, and just upgrading the shock mounts and shocks? Or am I getting myself in over my head, and it's time to 'break contact?' I just don't like the idea that it is a choice between a 2.5" "kick-*%# suspension" which rides far better than stock, or a questionable 5" suspension which I may come to regret a few years down the road.
Sorry for the long post, but I hope I'm not the only one with a little bit of knowledge, and great big dreams of more than 2.5".
Old 02-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Banned

Try http://www.coilsprings.com/ They ought to be able to hook you up with exactly the spring you want for the front.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:24 PM

PWT05Dodge,

Thanks for your reply.

I am in the EXACT same shoes. I want to run a little bit larger lift, with a little bit larger tire, with similar performance (maybe not as extreme as a 'race' system, but I do cruise 70mph down the beach every now and then and don't want to replace parts after every weekend fishing trip).

Most of my beach driving is leisurely cruising, and the biggest benefit I will gain is the ability to run a larger, sand-friendly tire, as opposed to stock.

However, if the need arises, I'd like to be able to cruise the beach with some speed and agility, safely.

The only ideas I have seen about this is one of the 'hardcore 2.5" kits" coupled with a leveling spacer on the coil spring.

I'm interested to hear any opininons.

I'm looking for 4" or so out of a "performance suspension", not just a lift kit. Although, it doesn't need to be quite as extreme as the 'Race' kits, and I would hope that I could do it for half the price of them as well.

Lastly, it's a shame that this thread ended up this way...I think all of the 'Big 3' suspension guys should be allowed to do battle on this thread, regarding their product...for free, for the benefit of the members and owners of this site. It would be 1 thread only, the great suspension debate. I too am a website owner and understand the advertising deal, but sometimes I feel that we should be paying these people for some of the information they provide us, not the other way around. I'm not trying to step on any toes, just a thought.

SQ
Old 02-15-2006, 04:39 PM

Here is what I am in the process of doing. I have pieced together a 5.5 to 6 inch kit with the following components:
Lorenz shock towers
King Shocks
Custom coils
Custom coil spacers
Superlift CA’s for now
Custom Track bar bracket
Custom Track Bar
Custom Sway Bar
Custom front drive shaft
Other almost everything being custom it is pretty straightforward. Talk with Sean he is working on a couple of things and has a good idea on shock and spring combo’s for third gen trucks.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:45 PM

Do you mind mentioning how much you have tied up into those parts?

When do you expect to have it installed/completed?

Also, any more details on where you got the 'custom' parts?

Thanks for the info.

SQ

Quick Reply: KORE now has competition!!!! A good thing.....