3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Kore chase w/ Jesse James wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So...following that theory...all trucks with OEM tires should have DW too?

Go cut open a few tires...and the BFG's in question have a FAR thicker, more plys, and beefier looking plys than OEM rubber.

I have run 300k total on a couple of different trucks with BFG's....and lifts...Nary a Wobble.

CASTER!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cquestad
So...following that theory...all trucks with OEM tires should have DW too?

Go cut open a few tires...and the BFG's in question have a FAR thicker, more plys, and beefier looking plys than OEM rubber.

I have run 300k total on a couple of different trucks with BFG's....and lifts...Nary a Wobble.

CASTER!
As you can see in my sig. I"m not refering to "all OEM tires". I'm refering specifically to the 315 BFG on the 3rd gen. cummins powered Dodge. I had 315 BFG's on my 03' w/ no suspension mods what so ever. The tires performed flawlessly for 35000 miles then the DW started when running interstate speeds and continued to get worse as the miles went on. I also see that by your sig. you are running Pro Comp's not BFG's. I ran the pro comps also 55000 on one set. Guess what? No death wobble. I'm not a suspension pro, but I did talk to most of the suspension guys on this site. They race for a living, and design suspension. They told me to get new tires, so thats what I'll do.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:48 PM

The first 115k on my current truck where on BFG's. The last 180k on my last truck were on BFG's. The truck before that had BFG's.

They are great tires...and NOT the cause of DW IMHO.

Other tire may mask the real problem...but it is not the tire that is the sole cause of DW.

Ask yourself this...should you have more DW if you run low tire pressure?

I never do...
Old 05-11-2007, 12:58 PM

I always run 42-45 in the fronts, and 35 in the rears unless im towing. I run several weeks a year on vacation aired down to 20 in the fronts and 15 in the rear in sandy conditions. The trip from the beach back to the house is about 8 miles, but I only get up to 60mph tops. Never had DW aired down.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:06 PM

SO...you just validated my point. Less air..."softer" sidewalls...still no increase in DW.

I bet you have worn suspension components and or too little caster.

When was the last time you changed your shocks?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:45 PM

The Kore system came with
fox's, the setup has now 45000. I think they are fairly good shocks. How often should I be "changing" them??? I think the DW may still happen with low air, but I would rather not run over 70mph w/ 20 psi in my front tires. Also, no visably loose or worn suspension components.I dont think I validated any of your points.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:39 PM

I bet they are due for some TLC if you use them hard. Oil breaks down pretty quick.

The fact that you have DW...and I don't...validates my point. LOL.

I am just trying to help...the DW thing is one of those...you can lead a horse to water...but you can't make him drink think.

The Kore system is kinda flawed with regards to Caster anyways...
All "level" kits that reuse the factory control arms are at the whim of availible caster tolerances. I bet the max caster you can have now is 3.5...cause of the lift. You would LOVE the way your truck would drive with 4.5-5 degrees!

Get a pair correct length control arms in there...I bet your problem goes away.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:47 AM

I bet they are due for some TLC if you use them hard. Oil breaks down pretty quick.

The fact that you have DW...and I don't...validates my point. LOL.

I am just trying to help...the DW thing is one of those...you can lead a horse to water...but you can't make him drink think.

The Kore system is kinda flawed with regards to Caster anyways...
All "level" kits that reuse the factory control arms are at the whim of availible caster tolerances. I bet the max caster you can have now is 3.5...cause of the lift. You would LOVE the way your truck would drive with 4.5-5 degrees!

Get a pair correct length control arms in there...I bet your problem goes away.
Then how do you explain same truck, same suspension, same settings but BFG's=DW, Toyo's=no DW, Cooper STT's=no DW, BFG's back on=DW.

Seen it on several trucks. I ran BFG's exclusively.....on my Toyotas. Never had DW, never even knew what it was. Did you put 300K on BFG's under a diesel?

Now I run 1.8* of caster and no DW.......
Old 05-14-2007, 09:38 AM

Why do you run 1.8 degrees whrn the OEM specs are almost twice that? The truck even drives better with slightley more caster than spec too.

I have never driven anything but diesels...

Anyways...I am only trying to share my experiences...take it for what they are worth. I guess I personally don't like a good tire manufacturer taking the blame for a syndrome that IMHO feel that is not the sole cause.

Every BFG I have ever run have performed well, lasted long, and where allmost in balance with NO wieghts. I can't say the same for all others...

I am digging my XTA's probable the most of all...however.

Got the front end all buttoned up yesterday with the new coils and Kings.

I got to say it looks insane...now back to the twins.

BTW...I found the best use fo rhte OEM bottle jack yet...between the frame and axle...to install springs! LOL.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:14 PM

Why do you run 1.8 degrees whrn the OEM specs are almost twice that? The truck even drives better with slightley more caster than spec too.
Because I can......

Honestly, I put these RA's on and drove it for a long time before I ever checked the caster, so I was really more concerned with how it drove than what the settings were. I only put it one the rack because I changed the heims on my tie rod and I wanted to check the toe.

It does have a little wander in it right now, but I'm waiting until I do the column bushing to see how much of that goes away. I know I'm going to put a little bit of toe into it, maybe around .1, just because the only time I put any miles on it is when I'm towing.

Might even put another degree of caster in it just to see if it makes a difference......

I'm diggin' the XAT's myself, pulled 11K through the sand at Glamis without airing down. And they're quiet......