3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

KORE Chase Series: Are Bilstein 7100's pre-charged?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KORE Chase Series: Are Bilstein 7100's pre-charged?

Does anyone know for sure whether or not the 7100's come pre-charged with nitrogen, or does it have to be done by the consumer?

The reason I'm asking is, the truck only has around 500 KORE miles on it, and I still haven't been able to go to the desert yet, but the front end seems to oscillate as though it doesn't have enough compression or not charged enough. When I press down with force on the left/right front of the bumper, it goes down(easier than I figured it would) and then comes back up...then down and up again. To my knowledge, a good shock should only go down and then come back up and basically stop with that simple test.

The KORE/Fox steering stabilizer feels squirelly too, after the installer had to bleed pressure off of it because it was overcharged which was causing the wheel to pull left even though the alignment was spot-on. I'm thinking he may have bled too much pressure which is now making the damping effect of the stabilizer almost non-existent.

Haven't talked with KORE or the installer yet. Initially the install shop told me the 7100's come pre-charged, but I'm having my doubts about that now.

Anyone?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:27 PM

The shocks are suppose to come pre-charged.Your installer might have bled off the nitrogen to make the install easier.When I push down on my front bumper there is very little movement.
It's a hassle to find nitrogen to pressure up your shocks.Seems there is no way to even check them but to refill them with the correct pressure.
I have a #20 nitrogen tank and a set of high pressure gauges.I had to find a high pressure hose(Goodyear),shorten it and have the end re-crimped(1/4pipe)for an air nozzle.Still waiting for the weld shop to re-fill my tank.
How does your truck seem to drive otherwise?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:01 PM

They come precharged, and the 7100's do not need to be discharged to install. Call your installer, if he doesn't have nitrogen, check with any rail or bike shop and ask them to charge them.
The stabilizer should have at least 75psi in them. The 7100's have 200psi.
Do you hear the shocks making any noise over rough roads?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by gray ghost
How does your truck seem to drive otherwise?
Not near as good as Boardman's truck out in 29 Palms when he took me for a ride. That truck rode like a dream, which is why I got the Chase. Mine so far, isn't feeling as solid as I'd like, and it get's a little steering wheel action going sometimes, which to me feels kinda squirrelly so to speak. It only has 35's, so I shouldn't be feeling anything but a solid truck feel, that rides somewhat plush.

I talked with the install shop this evening after I started this thread and he wants me to bring it in so he can tweak on it a little and check the pressure.
Hopefully, we get the bugs worked out.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:18 AM

I would've guessed the shocks come pre charged, but if you look at the FAQ's on KORE's site, they say the shocks will need to be charged after being installed. Look down about 2/3 of the way, under "can I install a KORE suspension myself" Unless the installer charged the shocks, they should not have any nitrogen in them according to the website.

KORE faqs
Old 12-08-2005, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't own a KORE system yet, but I believe as Wicked said, they do NOT come precharged. If they were precharged with 200psi of nitrogen, I don't think it'd be very easy to install them. Perhaps impossible. I'm sure others will know for sure.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:36 AM

The mention on the website, is a disclaimer, so noone will injure themselves.

I have installed every version of KORE suspension, including the new billet control arms on an 05 with Fox 2.5 inch shocks.
The original front upper shock mount required you to discharge the Fox shocks ONLY. The Bilstein 7100's come charged, and do not need to be fully compressed to install, thus no need to discharge.
You can install the front shock, then slide the coil spring over it, it just takes a little patience. The new front upper mounts make it even easier, without the need to discharge, even the Fox shocks.
The rears are a no-brainer, thus no need to discharge, even the Fox shocks. But every shock will come charged from KORE.