3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Kilby's On Board Air Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got the Viair 450 & a 3 gallon tank. Not sure where to mount them yet. Mikmaze can you hear it in the cab when it's running? How many amp's is your on/off switch? The guy @ Viair said a 10 amp switch would work, but motor is rated for 23 max amp,s.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Banned

not sure what amperage the switch is rated for, came with the compressor, and yes the 450 is rated fr 23 amps. I used to be able to hear the compressor int he cab, then that MTX Thunderform came in the big brown truck, I can't hear any shakes, shimmies, rumbles, surges, misses, nothing. you can hear it when the radio is down but with a 3gal tank it will only run for a minute max at a time unless you drain it completely. As you saw in my pics I mounted mine on the skid plate for the transfer case, nice , secure, and protected. Just remeber to use the remote inlet kit or shut it down during river/ deepwater crossings.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:05 PM

It really depends on what you need the air for. Is it just for airbags or a simple air horn, or do you want to truely run air tools and air up tires quickly? I have a York-based OBA (with a Kilby bracket) in my Jeep and it is awesome. I can run air tools all day long and never drain the little 2 gallon tank, if I up the RPMs to 2000. I can also air up tires in less than a minute per tire. I have seen the electrics in action and while they work, they are NO WHERE NEAR the air-volume of the engine-driven compressor. Even the high end ones.

All that said, it does look like it will be tough to fit a York under the hood of our 3rd Gens. I know how much room my Jeep's OBA takes up. But I don't have A/C in the Jeep
Old 01-28-2006, 06:53 PM

I will throw in the Kilby option vote too.. Kilby's stuff is all top notch, and while I haven't plumbed the compressor up yet, I know it works well, as I have his stuff on my jeep too.. Well worth every penny.. those 12V compressors like Viair and others are junk in comparison.. Just My opinion.
Scott
Old 12-25-2008, 05:48 PM

them pictures still coming?

Originally Posted by rockjeep
Well, I'll throw in a vote for Kilby. I had the thompson pump and a 5gal tank. Switched to the kilby kit and love it. The alt roll down so you should be fine. Will get a pic tommorow. I need the volume of air for the train horns.
Kory
Old 12-26-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was a major pain but I did install the oem air compressor during an engine change on the '99. Its just there, and always air.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:38 PM

Electric compressors are noisy, but they are easy to conceal... I have mine tucked up into the fender above the passengers side wheel well liner, I have enough space to add a second one in the same area. It's great, up high enough that it will never be in harms way unless the rest of the truck is, I didn't loose any engine space, and don't have to move anything if I needed to change an alternator or something...

That being said, an engine mounted compressor is like compairing a gas truck to a diesel truck... They are simply the best, alot more quite, not drawing down the electrical system, and will last probably 10x's longer then an electric one. But they are big, bulky, and complicated (compaired to an electric unit)...

I wonder if anyone has tried see if a cummins air pump (from a med duty truck) would fit to this engine.... I am guessing that it would run off the CP3 gears and be on the lower drivers side of the engine if they have one... Or maybe for the 6speed guys, one that is PTO driven...

CO2 set ups are pretty neat, but they require a refilling source and I have a feeling that very soon it is going to sky rocket and 10 years from now you will have a hard time getting it or you won't be able to because the "greenies" are starting to target the CO2 gas for poluting the enviroment (they had a story on it a couple weeks ago about them going after Coke for using the gas)....
Old 12-27-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have printed that info several times. I used the RV275 engine complete with the air compressor. Had to use a different ps pump and have it modded for 1500 pounds. It also had to have the motor mounts shaved to move the motor foreward 1/8 inch.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:38 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the kilby bracket in my 03 cummins it was $480 clean easy setup. i went to the auto parts store and got a new York for $200. I snagged a 3 ga tank for $50 I never have a problem with my pac brake making my noisy electric air compressor run for long periods until it detonates un expectidly. i have air for my air bags.......... And the big one i Never have to use one of those Cheesy gas station air compressors to try and air up my trailer ot truck tires to 80 psi Ever again. None of my electric compressors Valair ect could ever inflate my truck tire from flat to 80 psi in less than 10-15 minutes per tire. it was ifrustrating to say the least. that york with my engine at 1200 rpm will inflate my truck tire in 2 minutes. world of difference. in three years and 100k miles i have gone through 1 ARB air compressor and 1 Valair and one Generic 12 V compressor. in all i could have bought the kilby kit for the old price of $1500. last i heard they are 1000 or 1050 for the complete kit and So far with around $700 in mine i am super happy. no more blown fuses, no more cold day electric motor issues. at -30 below it fires up and compresses the air just like it does at 70 degrees out yeah i am in it an extra $200 over what i could have done it for again but this time its all mechanical