3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Kilby Condenser Guard

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kilby Condenser Guard

I just got this in the mail today, looks like a nice unit, but I haven't put it on yet. Does anyone have one, and how do they like it?

Also, what did you guys find was the best way to clean the bugs out of the condenser without damaging it?
Old 08-03-2004, 05:03 PM
JWH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put one on not too long ago. Just remember to tuck in the air scoop flap before you tighten the condenser guard onto the condenser.

You will also need a Torx #20 to remove the brakets.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:01 PM

I have torx sockets and drivers, although I'm not sure what you mean when you say "air scoop flap"...? How have you liked it so far JWH? Any difference in engine running temps?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:33 PM

I have installed on my truck as well. Although with my full front end replacement it doesn't help as much as it would with the stock bumper, it does help when I climb up on my bumper to work on it, it helps keep my foot from hitting the fins on the condensor and jacking them up. For me engine temp. as remained the same, no problems and just an extra piece of protection.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:54 PM

To clean bugs from the condenser, I start off with an air hose (100 - 120 psi). What that doesn't get, I pick out with a small stiff brush. Still can't swear I got'em all out tho. The problem I see with the condenser guard is that it will not keep bugs out of the condenser and, getting them out will be even harder. What we need is a removable screen that will catch the bugs and can be removed for backwashing.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:12 AM

Screen it!
Old 08-04-2004, 02:13 AM

Lightman
What did you give for it $$ with shipping? Thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 04:19 AM

I just used a piece of black plastic screening and installed it w/ tie wraps. I covered the entire condenser/radiator area. The great thing is that the bugs and stones don't stick to the screen. I was having to clean my condenser off every week but I haven't had to clean it for the month and a half since putting the screen on...... And my temps have not gone up at all.....
Old 08-04-2004, 06:12 AM

I love how I ask specifically about the Kilby Condenser guard, and every McGyver with a homemade screen comes out of the woodworks to describe it
Old 08-04-2004, 07:47 AM

Condensor guard

I have one. Got it last week but like you not on yet as the dealer has my truck. Going on next week. As for the cleaning the condensor,...I've just used the power washer for the last 40 years and done fine. I just use it at a high approach angle so as not to blow crap into the fins but rather down and off of them. The cost $49 plus shipping.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:30 AM

I've got one (see sig). Before my install, I used a razor knife to straighten out several areas where the fins were crushed. There is no real protection from bugs, but they are still easily removed.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I just got one and installed it. $45 plus $10 for shipping, direct from Kilby.

As far as screens go, I bought this to protect from rocks, sticks and stuff. I already have one smashed area that I was surprised didn't cause a refrigerant leak from a rock that went through the hole in the bumper (between the tow hooks).

Bugs hose right off of it, and the condenser. Before I found out about these, I was thinking about bolting some expanded metal grate behind the bumper, but the kilby guard is quite well made and priced where I felt McGuivering somthing wasn't worth the time IMHO.

Photo of it in my gallery...
Old 08-04-2004, 05:03 PM

Guys, I know this is nitpicky but I find it a little funny. Lets not mimick bad habits, the word is condensEr, not condensOr. The funny part is Kilby has clearly posted the misspelled word on their website etc...how very professional of them
Old 08-05-2004, 04:22 AM

I looked at those but I think the holes are still too big and really won't keep the bugs or small stones out of the condensEr . It will help with larger stones though.

I'll keep my screen......
Old 08-05-2004, 06:46 AM

Dodgezilla, you're probably right about the small stuff, but those big stones and rocks that will do major damage to the condenser will be stopped. I didn't necessarily get it to keep bugs out of the fins, but to save the condenser from damage. I definitely agree a screen type setup would keep it cleanest and most protected, but also will significantly reduce airflow...

Quick Reply: Kilby Condenser Guard