3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Just ordered my MBRP exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered my MBRP exhaust!

Well, I was and still am a little worried that I wont like the exhaust note, coming from a straight pipe! Ive just never bought exhaust on any vehicle to make it quieter! Im pretty excited to get some more hp, egt drop, and faster turbo spool! Im down with all that, just worried it will sound like a I6 with exhaust, but I guess thats better than sounding like the UPS truck!

You guy's think I made a good choice going with a 4" MBRP 409 single turboback, or what?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:32 AM

When I got home yesterday, I had a huge box on my porch, which meant MBRP time!
Went to a buds house and per her right on!

...well it took a little longer than we thought. We did have to cut the extension pipe and had a bit of a hard time with the down pipe. Took around 3-4hrs, not 2! But I guess some of that could be attributed to us!

Anyway, got her on, she acutally sounds pretty mean for how much quieter it was than my straight pipes. It has a great sound for a truck with a muffler, and my engine can now be heard over the exhaust. Its got some good bass'y sound to it and still will idle with little noise. It will romp when you give her the pettle~

Now the best thing about this exhaust is the performance! It has great low end and has me scratchin in 2nd! Where I havent before! I also had much more fun when the wheels would spin off of a start, seemed to scratch longer and even to the next gear! Overall Im really pleased with the quality of the exhuast, sound, and performance! I give it a 10! Especially at that price!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:35 AM

Oh ya......I almost forgot.............

Whats NEXT guy's?? Im not really sure what I can do now! Lets here some ideas!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking about ordering one for my "99. Now I know where to get "experienced" installation help.

What part of Dallas are you located? I'm in Richardson.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:14 PM

Well, I live in Garland, from and trying to get back to Lake Highlands soon, and work in Plano. I will be glad to help with any questions you have.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:15 PM

I am really debating on the MBRP muffler or a donaldson (or nelson) 41" muffler. I am wanting NO drone, not too loud (nothing near straight pipe) with a nice deep big rig rumble that won't make me go nuts hauling hay burners around...
Old 03-08-2006, 01:36 PM

hey, I was in dis belief too! I thought the MBRP wouldnt sound too good after hearing that crappy sound clip off their site, but this thing doesnt drone on the highway or anywhere. IT sounds really clean and I was supprised at how low the exhaust note was. Has some deep rumble. Coming from a straight pipe, this is what I was looking for. I still miss the loudness, but Ive got enough rumble to keep me happy! It sounds clean!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:48 PM

i need to bite the bullet and get one. now heres my real problem... Is it easy to take it easy and not sound too loud AT ALL say leaving a neighborhood around 15-25 mph? not that i care about the neighbors just more or less the parents... I've already been warned if i make it any louder i'll be finding a new place to live
Old 03-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Chapter President

Garland/Lake Highlands is just around the corner.

Have you thought about getting together with us sometime? We try to meet once a month either around here or in Waco.

Check these out. Here or here.

If I get around to ordering my exhaust system here on DTR, I may give you a shout for some "expert" guidance.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:07 PM

Oh ya, and I also need to hear what some think about the sound with the CAT still in place? I'm not gonna lose the CAT for obvious reasons.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:06 PM

Crobtex,
So you are a member, or better yet the President of a Diesel club here on DTR? What do you guy's do? Race, hang out,etc? Whats this all about?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:08 PM

Horsehauler.....I just did it. I ordered the direct fit MBRP for DTR today. I need to keep my cat for the NJ laws. I didn't see the need for a complete system since I already have the 4" so I went with the MK96116. I will let you know what I think of it when I get it. I talked to MBRP directly and they told me that I would only see around 7hp gain and around 16tq gains but would see lower egts and sound a lot better.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:14 PM

Awesome, thanks theextricator. Keep me posted on what you think of it.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by BossHogg
Crobtex,
So you are a member, or better yet the President of a Diesel club here on DTR? What do you guy's do? Race, hang out,etc? Whats this all about?
Most of the time when we get together, we do a little wrenching. When we go to Waco we eat and then just hang around and bs or go to one of the members shop. We've done everything from FASS installs to injectors to KDP kills. The pictures on Rob's site gives you a little idea. The main page picture was taken at my place up by Westminister last summer. Several of us also usually make any dyno days close by.

We'll be going to Waco next Sunday and to the ODRA Dyno Day in Emory on April 1st. You should join us sometime....a bunch of good guys with a lot of Cummins knowledge.

For the ODRA Dyno Day look here.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:08 AM

HorseHauler, no problem leaving the neighborhood quite. With light throttle it is not any louder than stock. They won't even know you have a "performance" muffler on it. But....when you floor it she sounds real nice. Get one from DPPI, great service. I love mine.

Quick Reply: Just ordered my MBRP exhaust!