3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Just lost BD tranny again

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
Man, I think you might have an alignment issue. You've got the mega, so you have a carrier bearing to throw in the mix also.

I'd find a really good chassis shop and ask them to check your frame, trans and rear end for alignment and square.
madhat have you come accross this before ?? one would think you would notice this in the ride if the alignment was putting this much stress on the unit.

it's worth looking into, truck is smooth riding down the road no pulling, tows my toyhauler well.

I will check with BD next week to see what the diganostics are on the old tranny.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by browndg
BD elected to have the tranny returned and replaced it with another tranny, my 3rd. I plan to call BD next week and ask for an update.I got the truck back on yesterday 12/21.

By no means am I a angel behind the wheel, but I don't think I abuse my truck either, if I add somthing new maybe the first couple of days I'm on it then I pretty much just drive it. Keep in mind this is not a daily driver I mostly drive it on the weekend if that. Others have had no problems, may be my luck of the draw.
Thanks for the update.....real interested to see what BD finds out with the tranny thx again
Old 12-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Bd rma#19044

I just thought I would try and be creative and post the return athorization number on the forum and get a response from BD. I know their reps monitor the forum from time to time, let's see.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Personally, I have not seen it, however, I have heard/read where transmissions have broken housings and bent shafts due to transmissions or rear ends not being aligned.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll bet the line pressure was set a little high and when you backed up "vigorously", the line pressure when high enough to put the tranny into limp mode. Once in limp mode, the transmission will attempt to stay in 3rd gear, therefore when you came to a stop, it wouldn't move on it's own because 3rd gear is too tall to accelerate from a dead stop.

Also, the 4x4 has nothing to do with why you were able to move, you probably just gave it more throttle when you had exhausted all other options and just so happened to be in 4x4 when you finally gave it enough pedal to start moving in 3rd gear..... unless of course you shifted to low range 4x4, which would help you move a little easier with a tranny stuck in 3rd gear.

My question, did you try to turn the truck on and off 3 times? Usually if you cycle the key on and off a few times it will reset and the tranny will function normally.

Without seeing your truck in person, all I or anyone can do is speculate as to what caused the problem but I can assure you, the tranfer case, 99% of the time, is not the problem.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
That is a good point...
Old 12-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
I'll bet the line pressure was set a little high and when you backed up "vigorously", the line pressure when high enough to put the tranny into limp mode. Once in limp mode, the transmission will attempt to stay in 3rd gear, therefore when you came to a stop, it wouldn't move on it's own because 3rd gear is too tall to accelerate from a dead stop.

Also, the 4x4 has nothing to do with why you were able to move, you probably just gave it more throttle when you had exhausted all other options and just so happened to be in 4x4 when you finally gave it enough pedal to start moving in 3rd gear..... unless of course you shifted to low range 4x4, which would help you move a little easier with a tranny stuck in 3rd gear.

My question, did you try to turn the truck on and off 3 times? Usually if you cycle the key on and off a few times it will reset and the tranny will function normally.

Without seeing your truck in person, all I or anyone can do is speculate as to what caused the problem but I can assure you, the tranfer case, 99% of the time, is not the problem.
just a couple of points, when i switched the truck into 4Wd it hooked up and because I had it in low range it was very obiouvs the tranny was shifting through gears.

key cycle was not done,I have had a previous GM go into limpe mode, this was not limp mode.

calling BD today for a follow up.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have another theory assuming the tranny was not in limp mode but low range helped it to move.

I think the tranny has a toasted "forward" clutch pack. Of the two clutch packs required for forward movement, the forward clutch pack is the one that disengages when in reverse. If you were backing up "vigorously" and the forward clutch pack was dragging just a little bit, it's possible that it burned most of the clutch material off of the friction disks.

Utilizing low range would put less stress on the tranny for forward movement although the toasted forward clutch pack was probably still slipping a little.

Finally after slipping for a few miles or however far you drove, all of the remaining clutch fragments burned off and the truck would no longer move in the forward direction.

For this theory to be correct, your truck would have to still have the ability to move normally in reverse. Did you lose reverse as well, or did you not try reverse?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
I have another theory assuming the tranny was not in limp mode but low range helped it to move.

I think the tranny has a toasted "forward" clutch pack. Of the two clutch packs required for forward movement, the forward clutch pack is the one that disengages when in reverse. If you were backing up "vigorously" and the forward clutch pack was dragging just a little bit, it's possible that it burned most of the clutch material off of the friction disks.

Utilizing low range would put less stress on the tranny for forward movement although the toasted forward clutch pack was probably still slipping a little.

Finally after slipping for a few miles or however far you drove, all of the remaining clutch fragments burned off and the truck would no longer move in the forward direction.

I

For this theory to be correct, your truck would have to still have the ability to move normally in reverse. Did you lose reverse as well, or did you not try reverse?
was in reverse when the tranny quit, so yes I lost reverse first.I would'nt say I was vigorouly backing up at 5-mph pace, maybe I had traveled approx 50' or so then nothing. put the truck in drive it attempted to move just engine rev at this point until i locked into 4wd, afterwich truck engaged and went through the gears for about 2 miles or so I came to a stop sign and tranny completely quit.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow.....
Old 12-31-2010, 08:46 PM

I've seen it before.
On this case, the transfer case was popping into neutral!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by j-fox
I've seen it before.
On this case, the transfer case was popping into neutral!
I'm just waiting to hear back from BD, looks like with the bad weather an all they are running a little behind on returns.

I'll give them a couple of weeks or so.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 AM

Hello,

This statement is not correct "therefore when you came to a stop, it wouldn't move on it's own because 3rd gear is too tall to accelerate from a dead stop. "

I drove my truck in 3rd gear for a couple of months. It was sluggish to start but not that bad. Real problem was that highway speed was limited. My governor solenoid went out and the truck only had 3rd gear and reverse.

Damon
Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

At this point in time, I can only reconmmend that you stay in touch with our claims department for the analysis of the transmission, as I do not know the details or particular RMA file.

Regards,
Hector
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hector-BD
At this point in time, I can only reconmmend that you stay in touch with our claims department for the analysis of the transmission, as I do not know the details or particular RMA file.

Regards,
Hector
RMA File #
I think a few folks are interested in what went wrong, just from a pure knowledge basis.

please help us out ??