3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

just installed 3250 dd sbc. first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just installed 3250 dd sbc. first impressions

so it took me and a buddy about 3.5 hours to install. wasn't bad at all. so i was worried about it being real loud, but its not loud it just sounds really weird like a hand full of change in the washing machine but only with the clutch out. clutch in no sound at all. only thing i don't like is in 5 th gear the clutch rattles pretty bad till about 1800 rpm after u shift then it settles down. i only got 60 miles on it so we'll see as it breaks in. shifting through the gears is quite a bit slower but maybe i need to practice a little bit. very happy its in, been babying the stocker for 30000 miles.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:00 AM

what do you have done to your truck? do you have the 12cb or 6cb?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try to not lug the motor in the taller gears. Shift at higher RPM's
Old 12-21-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by GB 81
so it took me and a buddy about 3.5 hours to install. wasn't bad at all. so i was worried about it being real loud, but its not loud it just sounds really weird like a hand full of change in the washing machine but only with the clutch out. clutch in no sound at all. only thing i don't like is in 5 th gear the clutch rattles pretty bad till about 1800 rpm after u shift then it settles down. i only got 60 miles on it so we'll see as it breaks in. shifting through the gears is quite a bit slower but maybe i need to practice a little bit. very happy its in, been babying the stocker for 30000 miles.
I had a similar experience with a SB Clutch. I had a problem with the clutch engagment and a loud noise coming from the bellhousing when the clutch was engaged. When the clutch was disengaged, the clutch was quiet. The other thing was the point of engagement was at 1/2 pedal and not were it was prior to the change out.

I did not accept it and got a new set up from the Vendor. I had to pay twice for the in and out because the SB Clutch was defective. (pressure plate)

It still had a little noise after the second one was installed, but nothing like want it was before that. The clutch pedal came back to the normal location
after the second one was installed.

Won't do another SB clutch if I get another 6 speed. To much noise.

Dave
Old 12-21-2009, 10:39 PM

it was the 12cb clutch. i'm not disappointed in the clutch, from what i've read its the nature of the beast, we were just spoiled that the stock g56 shifts so darn smooth.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:05 AM

gotcha. i hear that the 6cb shifts better but wont last as long.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by CoastalDav

You put a DD in I'm assuming?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:56 PM

NO, mine was not a DD. It was installed in a 2nd Gen 3500 Con O FE. There were others on this form who had a similar problem with the noise from the bellhousing. That was in 2008.

Dave
Old 12-23-2009, 05:02 PM

Not to happy to the read the above considering i have an OFEK going in next week, but i have faith in South Bend and their product and will find out soon
I hope all stays well
Old 12-23-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by LeaperV12
Not to happy to the read the above considering i have an OFEK going in next week, but i have faith in South Bend and their product and will find out soon
I hope all stays well
The second set up I had put in was fine. It still was much louder than the stock clutch. It worked really well. Everyone who heard the noise said it was the imput shaft bearing. It was not. So if you have a noise, don't let them tell you its the imput shaft bearing. You can see the 5600 torn down in my Photo Gallery. The only problem there was sixth gear and 3rd gear syncro, which was expected.

Dave
Old 12-27-2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by CoastalDav
I had a similar experience with a SB Clutch. I had a problem with the clutch engagment and a loud noise coming from the bellhousing when the clutch was engaged. When the clutch was disengaged, the clutch was quiet. The other thing was the point of engagement was at 1/2 pedal and not were it was prior to the change out.

I did not accept it and got a new set up from the Vendor. I had to pay twice for the in and out because the SB Clutch was defective. (pressure plate)

It still had a little noise after the second one was installed, but nothing like want it was before that. The clutch pedal came back to the normal location
after the second one was installed.

Dave
If you ever have problems with any SB clutch I am certain Peter will stand behind SB product above and beyond what is required and he will do right what was wrong.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by PRO-NRA
If you ever have problems with any SB clutch I am certain Peter will stand behind SB product above and beyond what is required and he will do right what was wrong.
Just to let you know. I sent e-mails to South Bend, Called them numerous times, left messages, and finally explained the situation to the SB Vendor.

Smiths' Diesel Parts in Utah, sent another set up and never asked any questions. I never found out want the problem was with the pressure plate.

There were at least 3 other persons on this forum that had the same problem. What really made me mad was the people doing the install, kept saying the noise was the tranny.

Dave
Old 12-27-2009, 11:14 AM

Was that the same tranny torn apart in your gallery?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Was that the same tranny torn apart in your gallery?
Yes, NV5600. All bearings were good as well as the races and with the exception of 6th gear that showed a little wear. 3rd gear syncro was in need of replacement.

As mentioned before the clutch installer said the noise was imput shaft bearing. It was fine. They paid to have torn down and put back together. I chose to replace the bearings and brass while it was apart. It had 185,000 miles on it.

Dave
Old 12-27-2009, 10:02 PM

I put a SB Con OFeK in my truck this past summer. I hear a little more gear rattle, but that's normal when switching to a non DMF setup. It holds 400+ hp great. It's a little more grabby then the stock clutch, but I expected that from a performance clutch.