3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Just got EFI LIVE

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking Just got EFI LIVE

WOW is all I can say. Les at SIlver Bullet Tunning has only written me a Fuel limited base tune. I need to log a few things and send it back and he will dial it in and open it up. All I can say is WOW I have no idea what took me so long. I will do a full write up in a few days after I get some drive time and we add some fuel, but I simply cant believe it could get any better.

Any questions please ask, Im stoked.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:52 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats...

Les is a good friend and master dyno manipulator too.

That EFI certainly seems to be all it has been cracked up to be so far.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't mind trying it myself one day. I was going to go to twins but changed my mind, needed a newer commuter car...
Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to hear how it runs, I am thinking about going to EFI myself. I'm just not sure its worth the 600 bucks. I am not going for all out hp, I just want a little extra hp and a little extra mpg with a better running truck.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 AM

I want efi live bad. Just have to wait some more, & more, & more...
Old 08-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Rye, I'll be watching this thread.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:21 AM

Few things, had RP at idle a little high with my last D/L. Had it on stock RP but I still was seeing 7.5k at idle and 8.5k when the ac compressor kicked on. Truck was also a little slow to start.
Sent Les my stock tune, he sent me a base tune to data log. Les looked at it and sent me version 1 of my street tune. Wow RP is now down at 6.5K, even when the compressor kicks on, truck idles like a dream and starts super fast. I need to data log this one and he should be able to send me the final version. Just have to see how much my stock CP3 can keep up with.
Oh and this tune is darn near smoke free, WOT you get a puff and it's off to the races. Unreal!!!!

Truck has never run this good.

More to come.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not real sure how the EFI live works but if i understand it right you have to pay $600 just for the tuner and then on top of that pay for a tune correct?
Old 08-16-2012, 06:03 AM

Let me try to explain, you have 2 options

Autocal/V2

Autocal is cheaper, and it is a pre loaded group of tunes from a specific tuner. it is more a plug and play for EFI live.

For instance Cummins Tuner, they sell the spade series. They start at $699 with tunes. they have 3 versions depending on your mods. This is for one truck, but again its plug and play.
One of the negatives is if you ever trade in your truck you are going to have to work a deal with whomever your tuner is because the Autocal is just a wothless box unless they will take it back and reprogram it so you can sell it.

V2

the V2 is $899. It comes with NO tunes, but it does come with 2 liscenses for 2 trucks. So you could tune yours and a buddies. You can also buy licenses for $125 so you can tune more trucks, up to and dont quote me like 200+ trucks per each V2. But realize each need to purchase the seperate $125 liscense.
Here you can tune yourself or pay a tuner to write a tune. Most charge in the neighborhood of $200 for one tune.

Realize this is not a box tuner so 90% of trucks can run just one tune for everything. This is the hardest part for people to swallow, and a big reason why the autocals ship with 4-5 tunes. People just cant get it through their head this is different. You are just maxamizing your trucks potential, not dumping wasted fuel all the time. My truck drives just like a stock truck but with a ton more power if I mash it. I can let my wife drive it in the rain no worries, cant say that about any other programmer or DL I have had.

Anyway hope this makes sense, keep them coming.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:41 AM

Forgot to add went out to data log yesterday, oh boy. 1st run had to stop the log and shut her down as I was sideways roasting the tires. Had to find a straighter section of road. Next runs shred the tires once she lights bangs into second and starts shredding them again. Glad Tim built my trans . Truck is running amazing, the power is there but it is so much like a stock truck that was built with power. No jerky jerky torque management. I can truly let my wife drive my truck in the rain and not have to worry. Drivability is insane. The next best part is I can see in real time my weakness from the data logs. Makes it so much easier to tune, buy parts and know what you need and where you are lacking. I will try to post a graph later and show you.

Oh and for the record I was only doing 0-60mph runs on a bypass with a posted speed of 55-65. So don't pull out the public road card, I can accelerate as fast as I want to the posted speed . Although I guess I could get a ticket for exhibition of speed for the roasted tires.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
WOW is all I can say. Les at SIlver Bullet Tunning has only written me a Fuel limited base tune. I need to log a few things and send it back and he will dial it in and open it up. All I can say is WOW I have no idea what took me so long. I will do a full write up in a few days after I get some drive time and we add some fuel, but I simply cant believe it could get any better.

Any questions please ask, Im stoked.
Rye, I am still trying to wrap my head around this whole concept. If I understand you correctly, you really don't need 2-3-4 different tunes because the tune that you get is tailored to maximize the power of your truck. If you cruise around town it is mild mannered and easy on fuel; if you hammer it, it knows what the anticipated response is and powers up.

Am I at least reading the same book but maybe not on the same page?

Nice touch with the staying under the posted limit

How about walking me thru the process from the part where you first made contact with Les?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 07:32 PM

Les runs Silver Bullet Tunning and is known as one of the best custom tuners in the business, arguably the best. He only writes custom tunes for the V2 version of EFI live. You contact him, give him all the mods on your truck and he will write a base tune. You get the V2 and copy your sock tune and send it to him. He finishes the base tune with the copy of your stock tune and sends you your first version. You drive it for a few runs, or a day or so and log a few wot runs and give some feedback. He writes another revision based on logs and how your truck responds, and that's really it. You have a tune that maxes your truck and your mods. The funny part is no 2 trucks even with the same mods will have the same final tune, each will perform differently.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:36 PM

And yes that is the real kicker, your truck will perform like a stock truck but one with a lot more power. It's limited by the accelerator, so drive like a normal person and you have a normal truck. Push her hard and she responds, but always smoothly and effortlessly.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
And yes that is the real kicker, your truck will perform like a stock truck but one with a lot more power. It's limited by the accelerator, so drive like a normal person and you have a normal truck. Push her hard and she responds, but always smoothly and effortlessly.
Now that's the kind of response I was hoping to get from you. You can see from my sig that I have the BDGT and aside from throwing fuel at the engine and advancing inj timing that's it! BG infers that they more or less follow CARB and my mileage is in the toilet. Lots of coal with WOT and it does make more power.......................but at what cost?

Looks like I'll be calling Les, saving my pennies, and unloading a BD
Old 08-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sur5er
Now that's the kind of response I was hoping to get from you. You can see from my sig that I have the BDGT and aside from throwing fuel at the engine and advancing inj timing that's it! BG infers that they more or less follow CARB and my mileage is in the toilet. Lots of coal with WOT and it does make more power.......................but at what cost?

Looks like I'll be calling Les, saving my pennies, and unloading a BD
When I get to my PC I will throw up a chart from a data log, and you all can drool over it. it will help everyone understand why it's so much better. No more wondering what's going on, you can see it and you can set it. No more wondering what your timing is, no more trying to look at a rail gauge ( which I hate to say can't keep up at all to what's really going on, so much easier to record it and watch it throughout your run). You can see it all in a snap shot on a graph or run it in real time (which is way too fast, but you get the idea), so many peramiters to record and watch. They are in groups and different groups have different peramiters you can watch and record. Up to 96 at a time, but their are hundreds of possiblilities.

Quick Reply: Just got EFI LIVE