3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Jr and rev limiter 2 part ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jr and rev limiter 2 part ?

First off I'm asking this question only cause I live the great state of AZ and emission testing. What a bogus test. The test is as such if you don't know(oh they make you do it so they are not liable) So you do this 3 time in a row now take the thottle mash it to the floor and watch it max RPM quick then let off peddle. Holly heck this truck never sees those RPM ever!!
So to my question
1st at what RPMs does the rev limiter come in to play. Because it hit 3500+ and she was still climbing till I let it off and said middle finger to them ain't doing that again.
2nd is I took Jr off truck for test cause not sure it would pass so was playing it safe. So does the Jr software leave factory RL in play or not? Is that only avalible on Senior to turn on and off.
Thanks this will help my mind. Really scary taking your motor up the high. Want to make sure there not something funny going on with that OEM feature.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also hate the AZ emissions testing. I had to do mine for the first time last summer and had the same concerns. I stabbed the throttle the first time and let off right away, it went to about 3,400 RPM, I was not pleased but the idiot said it was high for their testing. When I pulled into the bay for the real test the second guy said as long as I got it to 2500 RPM he would be able to test it. Three runs to 2800 RPM or so and they were done.

I would try not going full throttle and seeing if that is good enough for them. You might get lucky.

For others wondering what we are complaining about:

Heavy-duty (8,501 lbs and greater) diesel vehicles in Maricopa County are tested using the Society of Automotive Engineers J1667 test protocol, commonly referred to as the "snap-acceleration test." The test consists of measuring the opacity of three, wide open throttle, no-load accelerations from idle to maximum governed engine speed with the transmissions in neutral. The average opacity for the three accelerations cannot exceed the applicable standard for the model year of the engine. The maximum allowable for engine model year 1991 and newer is 40 percent opacity, for engine model year 1990 and older the maximum is 55 percent opacity.