3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Jake Brake - Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jake Brake - Yes or no?

I have a factory Jake given to me by my buddy. He bought a bike and picked it up with his 03. The guy had it sitting in his garage and just gave it to him, but he has an auto and doesn't want it. I am debating whether I should put it on, or just sell it. So here are my questions.
1. I called my guy I have do some of my work and he said he isn't a fan, that it will just tear my engine up. But it would be something that I don't use a whole lot, only when I am towing, or when i'm down south in the more hilly terrain of the state when I go camping, shooting, four wheeling, etc....some of the roads are pretty long grades.
2. I can sell it on the classifieds on here, but the problem is I do not know what it is worth. My buddy said the guy told him there was somewhere around 10k of light use on it. If I were to decide to sell it, about how much would it be worth?
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:28 PM

adam the ones that ive heard about work really well. I dont know whats it worth but if you get big exhaust like 5" I dont think it works with pipe that big does it? guys have told me they save your brakes from as much work and they last alot longer with an exhaust brake.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Banned

it will not tear your engine up. the older gen rigs need to upgrade the valvesprings to handle the 60psi that the brake will generate in the exhaust.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:33 PM

Well I think it will work with the bigger piping, but I could be wrong. From the looks of it it flares down to 3.5 just like the stock elbow on the truck now. I was wanting to go to the elbow from the HO trucks and do 5" to a 6" single stack, but I feel I might defeat the purpose if I don't change the elbow or if I put the Jake on.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Slap 'er on and run it a while. If you later want to change elbows take it off then. My guess is that after you have driven and towed with it a while, you wouldn't give it up for a bigger pipe or elbow. With your 5 spd, it would be a pretty simple install.

I love my Jake as I did the BD on my '98 before.

Dan
Old 07-09-2007, 07:39 PM

I may do that. Thing is I tow very little, and I haven't been down in the hilly regions for any recreation time this year yet........I'm just trying to decide if it is worth it to put it on. I mean I have not a single penny invested in it, so if it's not worth putting it on it's for darn sure worth selling.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:25 PM

i installed it on my 2007 5.9 auto and its stock on my 2007 6.7 auto . i start down the north decline of the siskiyous and i use the jake to keep me at 60 mph and if and when some tard pulls out in front of me going 45 mph on the 7% grade my brakes are cool and fresh on the truck and trailer. even when i'm not towing the jake is still something i use every day
Old 07-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03qclb5spd
I may do that. Thing is I tow very little, and I haven't been down in the hilly regions for any recreation time this year yet........I'm just trying to decide if it is worth it to put it on. I mean I have not a single penny invested in it, so if it's not worth putting it on it's for darn sure worth selling.
Mine is a 2000, but I don't think there would be a functional difference. I leave mine on all of the time. Loaded or empty, it does not matter. I had my first set of brake pads replaced at 75,000. I am now at 190,000 with about half the pad left.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:52 PM

I really don't mind using my brakes. I guess I might go ahead and put it on. Might do it as soon as this weekend if I can peel my buddy off of his new bike he just got. A lot of my friends have gotten bikes this year and it has totally changed how they are towards those of us in the group that don't have a bike. Anyhow he's got a shop that is perfect to work in. I will have the Jake, compressor, tank, horn, and Quad's RP/FP gauge to put in.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:57 PM

I really don't mind using my brakes. I guess I might go ahead and put it on. Might do it as soon as this weekend if I can peel my buddy off of his new bike he just got. A lot of my friends have gotten bikes this year and it has totally changed how they are towards those of us in the group that don't have a bike. Anyhow he's got a shop that is perfect to work in. I will have the Jake, compressor, tank, horn, and Quad's RP/FP gauge to put in.
did you buy a train horn?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by jwb600
did you buy a train horn?
No, not yet. I might do that down the road. I have "watched" several different ones including a sweet Nathan P3 but it got too expensive for what I wanted to pay by like 20 bucks. If I buy a train horn i'm gonna buy a real one, like a Nathan or a Leslie....none of that knock off stuff like house has under his tool box all thin and dents when you breathe on them.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:08 AM

I'd double check with Jacobs that it will fit in your turbo outlet. If it came off an 04.5 or later, its sized for a larger outlet.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:39 PM

Already did, it's correct. When the guy gave it to my buddy he asked him specifically what year he had.....and we have the same year with SO engines.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:49 PM

Already did, it's correct. When the guy gave it to my buddy he asked him specifically what year he had.....and we have the same year with SO engines.
Sweet. You will love it.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:52 PM

I am still not 100% sure if I will keep it and put it on or not. I have a boy coming in a little more than a month. I could use any extra money with that on the horizon.

Quick Reply: Jake Brake - Yes or no?