3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

its amazing the brand bashing thats going on

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right now i am drivin my dads 01 cdt with 300,000 on it that he has towed with coast to coast. he had to take my 05 out to san diego cause it was 4x4. his truck is running great except for a little blow-by. that is my reason.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:41 AM

'03 Ford, '04 Ford, '04 Dodge 1t dually and now '05 2500 4x4 QC. Both Fords were 4x4 PS extended cabs. Engine wasn't as scarey as the drive. Those trucks had serious issues with steering at highway speeds. The factory programming of the ECU was a joke too.
The 1t Dodge was a great truck, till it snowed and I couldn't find enough weight to make it go (it was 2wd). I traded the last Ford for a Toyota Tundra 4x4 and it was gone in less than 30 days, they have not figured out the front suspension, several recalls about vibration.
The DW has not reared it's head in my truck yet, but the way it drives and handles now is what sold me on it. Best driving 4x4 I've owned and with 315 -70-17 KO's it has no snow problems.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:13 PM

Guys, why brand bash when we can cab size bash I don't care what my truck looks like....its been called Fugly on here a few times. It is very function orientated and pulls like a monster, gets good mileage, hauls butt, and keeps me safe from 4 legged threats on dark nights. I like the Megacab for the comfort of the rear seats with recline and inside storage. If it had an 8 foot box, I'd be interested in buying a used one. The price of these trucks new is insane. I got mine at $15k off what the dealer wanted with 5k miles on it. I feel great with my Dodge and I never got that feeling of overall comfort and peace of mind with the Dmaxes or Ford. I bought my truck off the fleet manager who got me my dmaxes. He had 56 diesel trucks on the lot...most were 4door lt's slt dmax's or 4 door kr or xlt fords and one Dodge. Which one did he drive....the Dodge dually, He put the last 1000 miles on it before I got it and he supplied me 4 of my last 5 trucks and could have sold anyone on the lot as the Dodge was not the cheapest or most expensive for sure. He said that the Dodge was the best on his lot and now I have to agree. ks
Old 02-22-2006, 12:24 PM

wheelbase

Originally Posted by TurboTed
"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." I have the quad cab, and I jusy can't get used to the megacab. I don't think it needed all that extra storage behind the back seat. Just a bit more floor space in the back with more comfortable seats would have done it. Hate to say it, but Cheby's back seat on the crew cab has plenty of space,is very comfortable, and is proportioned without looking like a stretched limo. Just my $.02, and I know others think the mega looks great- just not me.
The reason for the extra space behind the seat in the Mega Cab and no 8' bed is because dodge didn't want to redesign the frame. The mega cab and the qc 8' bed have the same wheel base. I was going to buy a new dodge and I looked at every one they offer and I have to agree that I couldn't spend 40k+ on a truck so I kept my 96 12v and bought a Jeep.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:36 PM

I like my 2005 CTD. The only beef I have is with the dealer service(five star?) here in victoria. They are supposed to have order a new seat because the driver side lumbar support bracket ate a hole through the seat. I've called several times to get an update and they keep telling me they're waiting on dodge. I think thats a load of manure! I must say that the FORD dealerships in this area are hands down better than the dodge. I just had my 03 expedition (Wifes car) in the shop to fix the rear air dampner, the service writer calls to tell me that the rear differential is going out and they are going to replace it under warranty. I had thought it was just the way the IRS feels going around corners. I must say They have expedited any issue we have ever had. I traded my 99 PSD for the 05 CTD. That 99 PSD was probably the best truck I've owned yet! It would pull 12,000lbs of calves down the road all day long;I had bought it new and after 7 years I was ready for another, but ford was having problems with they're variable geometry turbo's. I never even looked at Chevy(way over priced) so I bought a Dodge. I sure hope it lasts as good as my Fords have.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by goose2
First off, sorry for the misspelling of ugliest. ( I bet you looked in the dic. to check the spelling).Do I need to say it again. Yes I think the Mega cab is "very" ugly. If I would have wanted one, I would have purchased one. But no I like the looks of the q/c better. So that's what I own and darn proud of it. So if you own a Mega cab. Be proud of it. Because you won't be getting a second look from me.
Dictionary?- Not this time, but give me something harder and I might dust it off.

I apologize to everyone for getting this thread sidetracked. I'm done.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:24 PM

This comment is only about a day late, but I have been spending all my non working and non sleeping time finding excuses to go drive my new truck! I am trying to get by the 500 mile break in period, then keep it under 50 for another 500 miles. Any how, I sold a Ford to get my Dodge, and I spent a good deal on time on one of the Ford forums trying to keep my last two fords going. First was an oooold one, second was a 95 with a few issues. I really like this board much better. On the Ford site, Fords are all around the best, everything else is crap, blah, blah blah. Folks like that are the ones that are keeping Ford in business. They would rather buy a ford than drive a free dodge or chevy. Seems like folks around here are much more fair, far less of the blind brand loyalty. I tell the die hard ford fans to NOT go drive a Dodge, they will have to swallow their egos and buy one. I personally did drive all three before I bought the dodge, just to be fair. Even though i had already decided I didn't trust the 6.0. It had no power, didn't turn or ride as well as the dodge. The duramax had no power, and was way overpriced. Also do you want a light duty diesel, like the powerstroke and duramax, or do you want a medium duty diesel like the CTD? It is the only one of the three that is a real diesel, like the big trucks. Ok, a little off topic... I'll hush now.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:41 PM

horselady, No need to hush around here even when you are speaking the truth. ks
Old 02-22-2006, 08:29 PM

Hi, my name is Tristan and I have had a habitual BL(brand loyalty) condition for about ten years now. The mental deformity effects me mostly when I think but also occationally when I speak.

I am inclined to believe that my mind was altered in early childhood. Quite possibly while riding in grandpa's VOLARE or staring out the window of a K-car. These experiences can have serious side effects on a young mind just getting to know the different makes of motor vehicles.

I have tried therapy, hypnotism, and consuming large amounts of alcoholic beverages but to no avail. Not to mention that some of my research in trying to curb my problem has proven itself to be habit-forming.

Thankfully my 5 children will not be subjected to the same torture as I have my BL clearly in check.

Well its that time of the day to gather my kids for a little ritual we hold to chant and say thanks to Ma Mopar for her offerings and burn a few candles. Theres nothing wrong with a little family tradition right???
Old 02-22-2006, 10:43 PM

Interesting post, Tristan,

So far, I have owned:

1976 Mustang II Mach 1 - Ford left 40 lbs of interior fasteners under the back seat. $4161.38 on the sticker - this car was shapely trash
1977 Sierra Classic - 13 MPG and ran badly
1979 Diesel Sierra Classic - death x 3 engines - $13,800
1985 Silverado - nice truck, but uninspiring, 15 MPG - $15K
1986 Pontiac Fireo GT, a lemon, but a fast one when it worked - $16,700
1988 Plymouth something 4-door. Was it a Sundance? It was a mediocre car that was dead reliable, but uninspiring is a understatement. $10K
1990 S-10 - decided I needed a truck again - not even sure what this one cost - I took a beating on the tradein
1993 Dodge Dakota - this was a V8 and a keeper, great truck - $15K
2003 Ram CTD - $19K, and I have high hopes for it

Of these vehicles, three have been silver, one red, one burgundy (the '79 Chevy was bueatiful), and two black. The Ram is the first white vehicle I've ever had, and it's growing on me daily.

Oh, and I learned how to drive in a 1949 Dodge pickup with three on the tree and the starter on the floor. If you can't find 'em, grind 'em.

Lamar
Old 02-23-2006, 12:22 AM

My grandfather was a die-hard and his 8 kids and their 35 and counting offspring (no were not ahmish) are all Dodge to Nth degree. Ive got a 54' Dodge truck at his farm in Kansas that was left to me when he died. Im thinkin I could put a 6.7 CTD in it with a little massaging, some money, and alot of time.

I owned about all of the brands (even a Subaru I traded a guitar for) before I got smart. Im not incapable of seeing the obvious problems that all auto makers have im just glad I bought a Dodge so I dont have any of them. I genuinly am happy with my lift pump and its potential failure.

I dont brand bash cause I dont see any other trucks in its class.

"Why does grandpa (my wifes dad) drive a Ford, does'nt he know it will break down?"
Quote from my oldest son when he was 5. Ive got pretty high hopes for that kid.

Isnt this a 3rd GEN performance forum??