3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Isspro to Westach, hotter EGT's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isspro to Westach, hotter EGT's?

Today I took out the Isspro EGT/boost and put in an SRT-10 single pod/Westach combo gauge. It seems it rises temperatures faster and hits a higher EGT. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanx.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:17 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went from a Isspro to my edge and there was a difference for sure. My Isspro would idle to 300 deg. pretty quick and it takes twice as long to get to 350 deg. on the edge. I hit the pyro with a infra-red heat gun and the temp was closer to what the edge was reading. I know Isspro makes a pyro with an electronic box, I am not sure if that changes anything or not.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by matego
I went from a Isspro to my edge and there was a difference for sure. My Isspro would idle to 300 deg. pretty quick and it takes twice as long to get to 350 deg. on the edge. I hit the pyro with a infra-red heat gun and the temp was closer to what the edge was reading. I know Isspro makes a pyro with an electronic box, I am not sure if that changes anything or not.
I had the opposite. My Edge was quick to get to 300* or lower than my Isspro guage. I never checked w/ the heat gun to see how accurate it is though. I do like my egt,boost,tranny guage Isspro's.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I remembered correctly quite few years ago TDR did a test on pyrometers. The Westach is one of the fastest reacting pyrometers in the business.

MikeyB
Old 07-29-2007, 09:02 AM

Isspro gauge

I have a Isspro fuel pressure gauge,... replaced it twice and it still doesn't work right. I have to put a real gauge on it and then know the differential to know what my fuel pressure (lift pump) is. This is my last Isspro gauge for sure. I don't remember the actual price but it is one of those fluid filled thingys that was over $200 I'm sure. You'd expect more for the $$$, IMO. If I wanted inaccuracy then I'd just guess what the pressure is and keep my $$$ in my pocket.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeyB
If I remembered correctly quite few years ago TDR did a test on pyrometers. The Westach is one of the fastest reacting pyrometers in the business.

MikeyB
That test report is in PDF format for some reason. Here's a link to it.

Pretty impressive results for the SPA gauge/probe. This test report was one of the main reasons I went with SPA. The probe responded about twice as fast as the next closest one.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:07 PM

I have a Westach guage and it always read about 100 degrees higher then the TST box did when I was running it. I would believe the one that shows the higher number just to be safe......
Old 07-29-2007, 06:38 PM

Hello and thanx for all the info everybody. I just looked at the TDR test. I did not read the entire thing because I am lazy. They did have a chart with time for the gauge to read the full, correct temperature. The Isspro says 4 seconds and the Westach says less than one second. I always thought that EGT's with a manual trans. was safer because as soon as the EGT's started to rise, it was time to shift and temp's dropped. I think I may have been just looking at a slow gauge? I just pulled that out of my nose and it is just a possibility.

Thanx for all the info everybody.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:53 AM

jmccart I have the westtach as well. Try something for me. See if your boost go's too 0 when you ingage cruise control. Mine does, I'm in the center bolt which is center of the three they tell you to use. Only in cruise dose it read zero kick it off and boom you got boost reading.
Mine is very quick to react to heat whick I feel is a good thing. Westtach are mainly used in aircraft, so I'd think they would be of great quality.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 AM

OK, I will try that nd report back quadman20.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmccart
Hello and thanx for all the info everybody. I just looked at the TDR test. I did not read the entire thing because I am lazy. They did have a chart with time for the gauge to read the full, correct temperature. The Isspro says 4 seconds and the Westach says less than one second. I always thought that EGT's with a manual trans. was safer because as soon as the EGT's started to rise, it was time to shift and temp's dropped. I think I may have been just looking at a slow gauge? I just pulled that out of my nose and it is just a possibility.

Thanx for all the info everybody.
Take a closer look at that test when you have the chance. The slow response times are pretty shocking.

There are two tables with different times. The first table (on page 2) shows the response time for the probes (going from 100*F to final voltage). The second table (on page 4) shows the response times for the gauges themselves. At the bottom of that page it says "Note that it will be the combination of temperature probe time and meter response time that will make the total time for the EGT to come to the correct temperature".

If you look at the results for the IssPros, it took 47.3 - 48.3 seconds for the probe to reach final temp, and 4 seconds for the gauge to respond.

Now take a look at the "Westberg" (appears to be same as Westach). It took 35.2 seconds for the probe to reach final temp, and less than 1 second for the gauge to respond.

When you compare the results above it makes sense you might see higher EGT's with the Westach. Both the probe and the gauge respond significantly quicker.

Granted this test is going from 100*F and uses a torch. Your exhaust and probe will always be hotter than that to start and I assume the stream of exhaust would also heat the probe faster than a torch, but the test does show there is definitely a difference between gauges/probes.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by quadman20
jmccart I have the westtach as well. Try something for me. See if your boost go's too 0 when you ingage cruise control. Mine does, I'm in the center bolt which is center of the three they tell you to use. Only in cruise dose it read zero kick it off and boom you got boost reading.
Mine is very quick to react to heat whick I feel is a good thing. Westtach are mainly used in aircraft, so I'd think they would be of great quality.
Where did you pickup the 12v power for the gauge?

MikeyB
Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 PM

I have the westach and it does respond fast to egt's
my boost does not drop to zero when i put on cruise
Old 07-30-2007, 01:18 PM

The boost is manual no wires,air tube from the intake. Air is air suck or push?12 v is to the dash light switch for it's light.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:38 PM

On the Westach it uses power for the boost transducer. Doing so removes the erratic needle movements (dampens).

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Isspro to Westach, hotter EGT's?