3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

ISB Cummins programers

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ISB Cummins programers

I'm not talking about the aftermarket ones that are built for HP. I'm talking about the one that is used to set up the ecm on these 03 and newer motors. The factory or Dodge programer that can change things to do what they want. Timeing, fuel amount, pressure, boost, egt, and all the other stuff, why doesn't someone get a hold of that program so we can actually watch as we or they drive and change things around to get the best fuel mileage. I know they all ready did that for us right. HA! With fuel mileage from 13 to 22+ there has got to be something going on with the set up of these motors. Maybe the tonerings are all put on different and timing sensers are all put in different places and injecters banged up before installation. Wouldn't the original program be able to detect if one injector or another is doing different things, and if the timeing is off? What do the techs at Dodge or Cummins use to find problems?
If we could put the lap top with the program that can monitor everything on our motors in the pasengers lap and change things to get the most mpg. Why hasn't someone done it or is doing it? Or better yet get it out here to some of the more inclined people who can and want to improve things and let them do it themselves?
Ok so it is owned by Cummins or Dodge right and we have no right to take their technology or paten and use it right. Well how do they get around modifying things with these little programers they are selling?
I've been working with breaking water down into Hydrogen and Oxygen to improve mpg but I'm finding out that the computer is hindering me. If I could monitor things on the go and change the timeing and fuel as needed to get the best mpg then I wouldn't be supprised at 25+mpg
Old 01-30-2006, 02:14 PM

great idea. No idea where to find that though.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:51 PM

The downloader guys get around it because they are not using the proprietary software that Cummins uses to reprogram/interrogate the ECM. They are taking the code out, modifiying it, and selling it in the downloader.

There's no way to prove that they didn't happen to somehow write virtually the same code with a different program.

Like Don says, you'd have to reprogram the whole injection sequence over the entire operating range. Cummins spends millions of dollars developing the software for these engines.

I think you may be oversimplifying things a little.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Chapter President

Modifying the ECM

If their modifying the ecm then they must know what the ecm said to start with so they can read what is going on and change it to get the results they want. That's what I need a means to see what is going on and a way to change it to get better mpg. I remember someone named Marco on the TDR doing something with the ecms, not just for hp but for overall performance and fuel economy.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Chapter President

Help on this for improved mileage

Some of you guys and gals have info that would really help here. If this works like it has for oilguy. We might be on something really good. If they can make a jeep get 50% better mileage useing Hydrogen why not a diesel? If we could get 30mpg with some timeing modes with Hydrogen made from water as we drive I know we will have the big (****) after us but 30mpg or better who would be against us except them.