3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Intermediate Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tatkins85
dang you tritont... i was hoping to get my output shaft in and be done with it.... o well guess ill start saving for a intermedate... i hate how i built this truck, with spray im around 900 hp but i cant use any of it because i built power first and now im building the truck to handle it. ive had this truck built with this power for over a year now but im to scared to bring it to the track to se what i will run sence its not built to handle it. o well quess ill stick with my dyno's till i get my truck built up... thanks 4 the help tritont.
Well you gotta remember really above 800rwhp I don't care what you make your trans outta something can break. Now my two pennies, which aren't worth a hole lot since I still have a totally stock 150,000 mile old 48re, I hear more often then not that the intermediate shaft is the least likely to break and I was told by Scott at MassDiesel that he has only seen two stock intermediate shafts break and both were worst case scenarios. Personally I am ok with leaving my intermediate shaft stock, I am gonna do a billet in and a billet out. Bottom line it is your money, do what you feel most comfortable with.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:02 PM

575 hp and 75k wiped out MY OEM intermediate...wiped out the entire tranny... cases too. It was like starting over with NO CORE!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Banned

A member of another forum had a built tranny with billet input, stock intermediate, and billet output. His billet input broke before the stock intermediate.

Cquestad, did your truck have an exhaust brake when the stocker broke?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:08 PM

Never an exhaust brake...

That is common too..input first...even if it "stronger" than the intermediate.

I guess all I and Tritont are saying...IF the intermediate goes...you basically throw away the tranny. So 750 more...is worth it.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:54 PM

whats opie shafts? im not skipping corners in the tranny was just trying to find out if i did or didnt not need to spend the money on the interm shaft. my trannys as of right now has suncoast converter/vavle body, billet flexplate. billet input, billet output(not installed yet), clutchs, deeper tranny pan, trany gauge, so last thing will be the interm if its suggested. i just want to find out if i need to spend the money or if big hp guys go without them.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:43 PM

My tranny has the sun coast extreme kit, BD Valve Body, TCS Triple convertor and my OD unit is completly built up. I put down 649HP on the dyno. I have a BD Flex in the mail and will get it installed soon. I am also doing an input shaft at the same time. I have never raced it at a track and don't do 4x4 launches so I can't see replacing the intermediate shaft. If i do head for the track i am not going to do 4x4 boosted launches, just 2wd and 10psi. I do have a lock up switch but once the truck is going I SEE NO problem using it. I know alot of people with stock shafts and built trannies running like I do with no issues yet. So for me I see no real issue with the shafts, yet. But for piece of mind the input will be done with the flex.