3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Intermediate Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So let me understand this, you want tp replace the input shaft if not replacing the others? I am getting a BD Flex plate done and want to get the input shaft replaced with a billet. What has to be done to get the input replaced? Is it a complete take apart of the tranny? I know the output can be done easly, but have no idea what has to be done with the tranny to replace the input?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:45 AM
Banned

my question would be.... why if you guys are spending 4, 5 and 6K to build a race trans wouldn't you go ahead and pay another $750 to do one more shaft ? Having a weak spot in the trans is pretty dumb if you ask me. You're asking for it to break.

It matters not to me whether anyone goes all billet but, I know I would never have done the miles, 1/4 runs and sled pulls I have and been in one piece with anything stock in my trans. I had a lot more POM too.

It's not so much that the shafts will break but, more the spline being twisted every time major stress is put on the trans. Eventually if the shaft doesn't break, the splines will be shot.

DUKCLAN: the trans has to be pulled and disassembled to install or replace a input.

As mentioned... to each their own but IMO, if you've spent that much already... just finish the job !
Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tritont
my question would be.... why if you guys are spending 4, 5 and 6K to build a race trans wouldn't you go ahead and pay another $750 to do one more shaft ? Having a weak spot in the trans is pretty dumb if you ask me. You're asking for it to break.
One reason would be that your tranny builder said he's seen billet intermediates break when they shouldn't have, and he is more confident in the strength of a newer stock intermediate than a billet one.

If the intermediate breaks it CAN cause major damage, but that doesn't mean it will every time. I've seen them break very clean at the splines and cause no other damage.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Banned

not a chance I'm willing to take. If the stock is so strong... imagine how strong a billet would be
Old 10-06-2008, 11:03 AM

good info guys keep it all comming. anyways side note, i didnt know the output was easy to install? so ill probably do it my self then rather then pay someone to do it. anyone have any details on how to install one?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:44 AM

I talked to Dave Goerend about it last week. All you have to do is order an overdrive unit with the billet shaft installed, and swap the old with the new. Along with the billet shaft you get new clutchpacks.

Installing a billet shaft in your current overdrive requires some pressing, which if you have a good relationship with a tranny builder you could have it assembled pretty quick.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:51 AM

i already have an aftermarket clutch pack. can i still do the output shaft install my self with not tranny experience?
Old 10-06-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by tatkins85
i already have an aftermarket clutch pack. can i still do the output shaft install my self with not tranny experience?
In that case I would drop the overdrive unit, take it to your tranny shop and have them install the shaft and then reinstall the overdrive unit into your truck.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:02 PM

hey triton, doesnt work like that,the reason the stocker intermediate is a little more forgiving is because it flexes and twist's, where the billet would never flex, it would just snap.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:24 PM

From what I have seen more high hp guys DO NOT have a billet intermediate than guys that do. I have seen very few posts of guys snapping intermediates.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:58 PM

just get opie's shafts...problem solved...case closed.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mulisha
hey triton, doesnt work like that,the reason the stocker intermediate is a little more forgiving is because it flexes and twist's, where the billet would never flex, it would just snap.
yes, it is forgiving and so are the splines, more so than a billet. The billet splines will also twist without snapping the shaft.

As it was mentioned... to each their own. I'm pushing a LOT of weight so I like to know I have as much as I can in there to avoid breakage if possible

I only know of a few that don't use billet... intermediate anyway.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:00 PM

btw...there is nothing more brittle about properly made/treated/etc shafts than OEM.

Don't buy the hype one LARGE batch of bad intermediate shafts caused.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
btw...there is nothing more brittle about properly made/treated/etc shafts than OEM.

Don't buy the hype one LARGE batch of bad intermediate shafts caused.
agreed but, this thread seems to be about avoiding spending the extra cash on a intermediate. Cash will never get spent with Opie if that's the case..
Old 10-06-2008, 04:06 PM

agreed...but...lol.

Spend it now or spend it 2x later (or 3x in my case).
We will agree on that! ;-)

I have bought three full built tranny's by the time I repaired all of the short comings, oversights, corners cut, etc.

It really should be either...500 and change MAX hp...flexplate, converter, vb...

Anymore...spend everything you got.

Quick Reply: Intermediate Shaft