3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Interested in getting XM satellite in your Dodge ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand...if you want XM and want it in your factory head unit, why not get one of these

I am looking at that because I read where a fella that has this with a RAZ gets Artist and Title data.
What I really want is Sirius WITH Artist and Title data without having to go to the RB1 or back to a PnP.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:34 AM

It may well be that I have to go that route ???

If you just want Sirius in your Dodge, then all you need is the factory tuner option, and the cabling option for the vehicle. Dodge P/N is 8220648aa It will work with any Dodge radio that has an AUX or MODE button on it, and has a digital display.

That's what I have currently in my vehicle, but I want XM in the vehicle, so I have to swap out the tuner unit somehow ????

If I get another unit to replace this one for XM service, I will sell the current Sirius tuner !!!

I don't know if I will need to change the factory antenna for the NEW XM unit or not, as of yet ??
Old 08-02-2005, 11:10 AM

On your Sirius tuner, can you get Artist and Title?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Matt400
I don't understand...if you want XM and want it in your factory head unit, why not get one of these

I am looking at that because I read where a fella that has this with a RAZ gets Artist and Title data.
What I really want is Sirius WITH Artist and Title data without having to go to the RB1 or back to a PnP.

I read in another thread that won't work with the nav units so the approach he is talking about would be a accross the board solution. I would be interested if it works.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:25 PM

The factory Sirius unit in the Dodge will get you just the channel title on the RBQ radio and I think it gives you the artist and title on the RAZ, the NAV units get all of it !!

The difference is what the radio unit is capable of displaying on it's digital display, and not the satellite tuner unit. If you just get 1 line display, you just get 1 line on Sat (channel number).
If you get 2 lines, you get artist display, 4 lines get everything !!!

The radio MUST have either an AUX or MODE button to get the satellite option directly.

Also, for those that want to put audio directly into their radio, I saw something on the Klenger Dodge web site that showed what you needed to do to the radio unit.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by waynem
The difference is what the radio unit is capable of displaying on it's digital display, and not the satellite tuner unit.
Whats odd about that is the XM Direct product will display Artist and Title on the RBQ.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:58 PM

Well that would be great for me, the Sirius factory unit in there now on the RBQ only shows the channel number and name. Unless there is something that I need to change to get the other, but I haven't seen anything to do that with. Although I was NOT given a manual on the Sirius option at the dealership.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Matt400
Whats odd about that is the XM Direct product will display Artist and Title on the RBQ.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=73621

The odds are 100%. I have XM Direct and it will provide Title, Artist, Station Title and Genre on the RBQ.

-Tom
Old 06-23-2006, 04:56 PM

Bump... My one year of free Sirius radio will run out in a little over a week. Has anyone got an update on installing the XM radio tuner (12216460) into their Dodge?

On a different topic... After having Sirius for a year I can without any doubt say I don't like it. I didn't like it when I first listened to it, and after 22000+ miles of listening to it, I still don't like it. I listen to XM when I'm in my motorhome and prefer XM over Sirius. If I had paid for a year of Sirius I would have been very disappointed with myself. Just had to say that.

Aloha
Old 06-23-2006, 05:34 PM

The ONLY way that I have found is to purchase the XM Direct unit and the XMDCHY100 adapter unit. This will plug directly into your Dodge radio (the 10 pin square plug).

The problem that I have is that I want to mount the unit in the same place as the OEM Sirius unit is installed. To do that I need a harness that is about 15 feet long for the XM Direct unit. The one that comes with it is about 6 inches long, and requires you to mount the XM Direct and Adapter under your dash someplace.

I have been unable to locate the 10 pin square connector from any source, so that I can make up a harness for this. I asked Terk if they could sell one 15 feet long for the trucks, but have had NO responce on it.

Other problem is that the OEM satellite antenna for Sirius CAN NOT be used for XM !!! So you have a 3/4 inch hole in the roof that the old one was mounted in. I was hoping that Terk had a XM antenna that hole mounted, and I could just replace it. And trying to get any help from Delphi, who is in bankruptcy, is like pulling teeth. They don't want to talk to you at all since you are not an automotive manufacturer.

Maybe one of the other auto manufacturers that have XM as OEM might have a "hole mount antenna" for XM ??? (GM, ???)

Other than that, I can't wait to get my XM back in, the "freebie" Sirius subscription should run out next month, and I will be forced to cobble something together to get the XM in the truck. I will NOT mount it under the dash !! So I may end up just splicing the old Sirius harness with the XM Direct connector on it ??
Old 06-23-2006, 05:49 PM

Dammit... so the Delphi Delco XM tuner for the GM vehicle won't work on our Dodge? Ugh.

Aloha
Old 06-23-2006, 06:35 PM

Not only that but the GM OEM units have electronic serial numbers in them.
Once they are put in a vehicle and turned on, they will then only work in that vehicle , unless the dealer re-programs it.

What type of antenna does the GM OEM have ??
Old 06-23-2006, 07:17 PM

I'm done with Dodge and their head unit. My RB4 is useless as a sat nav and pretty bad at everything else too. If anyone wants to buy it let me know, it'll be for sale soon. My 2000 Dakota had a simple PC based audio/video system in it and I now intend to do the same with my Ram. The technology I used back in 2000 was crude and expensive, in 2006 in-car (truck) PC technology has been refined and is half the cost. To heck with Dodge / Delphi / Sirius.

Here's the gameplan. Ultra small form factor PC installed under the center seat. 10" touchscreen LCD installed in dash with slot loading DVD drive mounted directly beneath it. Relocate AC / 4x4 / Seat Heat controls. PC audio out to amplifier via standard RCA cabling. Volume and song control will be via factory steering wheel controls using a SWI-X adapter to the PC IR. GPS will be via an existing Garmin USB antenna I have. XM is easy. External WiFi antenna. Control software will probably be Frodo... unless something better comes along.

Give me a few weeks.

Aloha
Old 06-23-2006, 07:34 PM

Pick up a Dodge RBQ radio, ebay has them around $100 to $150.
You can sell your RB4 for $500-$750

The XM Direct units are not suppossed to work with the RB4 unit,
But the others units are OK, as long as it has a MODE button, and
a 10 pin square (2nd plug) connector on it you are in good shape !!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:26 PM

Anyone ever try these Delphi units?

Quick Reply: Interested in getting XM satellite in your Dodge ???