3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Intalled the AFE Mega Cannon Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 10:13 PM

Location: Dead Center in the Middle of TN. 20 miles from Jack Daniels, 10 miles from George Dickle and .8 mi from the liquor store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intalled the AFE Mega Cannon Today

I installed the AFE MegaCannon today and it is a Breather!!!

Only took about ten minutes................jim

Old 01-04-2004, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Jim, where did you get it? Your setup looks different than the others I've seen. Yours appears to use the larger AFE filter like the 2nd Gen trucks. I hesitated buying an AFE kit from someone because the filter element was smaller than the 2nd gen's and I figured it wouln't flow quite as well. I was hoping to come across a setup using the larger element.

Hey those wheels look nice. Are they Rickson aluminum 19.5"? Got any pics in the Photo Album section? I have been wanting to see pictures of Ricksons on a 4x2 shortbed.

Vaughn
Old 01-05-2004, 12:59 PM

Location: Dead Center in the Middle of TN. 20 miles from Jack Daniels, 10 miles from George Dickle and .8 mi from the liquor store at I-24 Exit 114
These are only 17"x8" Eagle 058 Wheels. I got them from E-bay for $405 delivered.

The AFE MegaCannon, also from E-bay, $210 delivered with a recharger kit thrown in.

The fender flares are Bushwacker Extenda Fender and were needed because of the offset of the new wheels. They actually would have helped even the original wheels. $340

Then there are the new PIAA light replacement bulbs that were a big improvement for $66.00 delivered.

If you go into the Gallery I uploaded some pic's last night. There you will see the hood stripes I had painted on also. they really helped the front end appearance. It kinda broke up the Silver and chrome.

My profile also shows a Magnaflow 7" Muffler, It fell through and I've decided to leave it off for a while, Jim
Old 01-05-2004, 02:12 PM

PROSOUTH,
Did you get your AFE from Jon at City Muffler and Performance? I've seen this price out on Ebay and have been in contact with Jon. Is the AFE the Proguard 7? How was your buying experience? Thanks for your comments, and by the way, great looking truck.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:57 PM

Here's the Auction I won and the information. I was well pleased. Jim

THE ITEM YOU ARE VIEWING IS A BRAND NEW AFE MAGNUM FORCE AIR INTAKE KIT FOR THE 2003 DODGE CUMMINS 5.9L DIESEL. BY INSTALLING THIS KIT YOU WILL SEE SIGNIFICANT GAINS IN HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE. YOU CAN GAIN UP TO 25 HP WITH THIS KIT, AND INCREASE YOUR AIRFLOW TO 820 CFM. THE ITEM WILL SHIP UPS GROUND FOR THE ACTUAL COST. PLEASE EMAIL FOR SHIPPING PRICES. WE CAN ACCEPT PAYPAL, MONEY ORDER, OR VISA/MASTERCARD. FROM NOW UNTIL CHRISTMAS, WE WILL INCLUDE A FREE CLEANING KIT WITH THE PURCHASE OF AN INTAKE KIT. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US OR YOU CAN VIEW OUR WEBSITE http://www.roccobrosperformance.com

EBAY : 03 DODGE RAM CUMMINS DIESEL AFE AIR INTAKE
Item number: 2446965805 Sold for: US $210.00
Ended: Dec-07-03 15:40:44 PST
History: 1 bid (US $210.00 starting bid)
Buyer: floyd58( 154)

Auction ended early with Buy It Now.

Seller information filter_performance( 82)

Feedback rating: 82
Positive feedback: 100%
Registered Jun-26-02 in United States

Read feedback reviews
Ask seller a question
View seller's other items

Buyer Protection Offered
See coverage and eligibility
Old 01-06-2004, 07:19 PM

I bought the AFE System because it was rated at 99.5% filtering capability. I really think it is a class act from all appearances

I was ordering oil filters from Geno's and saw that they had the AFE Pre-Filter available for the big 7 inch Filter so I ordered it too. I hope to have it on this week, I'll let ya know how it comes out too. Jim
Old 01-06-2004, 09:25 PM

PROSOUTH,

The only aFe filter with the 99.5% filtering capability is the ProGuard7 and I can't tell by your photo if the filter you have is the pro7 or not. However, a friend of mine just installed a Megacannon with the pro7 on his '03 and his filter is black on the end instead of red. He also got a Pro7 decal with it.

Anyway, I think the quality of the aFe Megacannon is supurb so I ordered one yesterday with the Pro7 filter and black pre-filter.

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2004, 09:59 PM

Big Ed...where did you order yours? Price?
Old 01-07-2004, 12:34 PM

I ordered it from Geno's. The Megacannon with a Pro7 was $294 and the pre filter was $30 and then add shipping. I may have been able to get it cheaper elsewhere but I didn't even look. Geno's has been very good to me regarding items I have returned and I will give them my business any day.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:39 PM

The AFE Pre-Filter came today, Took all of 30 seconds to slip it on and it looks like it will be a good finish for this project.

Geno's has a manifold tube for it that does away with the silencers inside. It's another $50, We'll wait and see if anyone else tries it out first................anyone? lol Jim
Old 01-07-2004, 11:03 PM

You may not want to replace that piece. There has been some talk that the piece your talking about is not a silencer (like the ring), but keeps the airflow in the tube from becoming to violent, meaning much less efficient. There is a post, don't think it was this forum though, where folks got tired of speculating about it and verified on a dyno that they lost hp at high RPMs after removing it.

Anyhow, Geno's is expensive. If you really want to replace that piece, buy the hose hump here, http://www.ptrsds.com/silicone_hump_hoses.htm , for $23.

or here, http://www.mesamarine.com/Trident.html , for $11 bucks, but you have to call. You can also buy enough 4” silicone hose from these folks to replace your entire intake hose if you want.

I'll look and if I can find the post about the power loss when removing the little "X" baffle in the inlet hose, I'll post a link to it.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:01 AM

Not the post I'm thinking about but a couple of folks in this thread removed that piece to test the theory. Resulted in less throttle response and lost a few miles per gallon in fuel economy. I guess it is doing something. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...5&pagenumber=1

I think the post where someone actually did the dyno run was at TDR. I'm not a member so I can't use the "search" feature to find the post. It was some time ago that I saw it. Just something to think about.

I think I'm going to use some 4" silicone hose to replace the factory ribbed hose, keeping the "X" shaped baffle in the middle. Should slip right on the AFE and really smooth out the air flow to the turbo.....and look cool .
Old 01-08-2004, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Prosouth,
Might want to try this place for tubing to replace the silencer tube.

http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...tegory_Code=IT

MikeyB
Old 01-08-2004, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by AK RAM
Not the post I'm thinking about but a couple of folks in this thread removed that piece to test the theory. Resulted in less throttle response and lost a few miles per gallon in fuel economy. I guess it is doing something. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...5&pagenumber=1

I think the post where someone actually did the dyno run was at TDR. I'm not a member so I can't use the "search" feature to find the post. It was some time ago that I saw it. Just something to think about.

I think I'm going to use some 4" silicone hose to replace the factory ribbed hose, keeping the "X" shaped baffle in the middle. Should slip right on the AFE and really smooth out the air flow to the turbo.....and look cool .
I replaced mine with the AIRAID Modular Intake Tube (about $50) and haven't noticed any loss in performance. If anything, my fuel mileage may have increased slightly. Also, my throttle response seems a little smoother in the high RPM range, but it may be in my head. The turbo definitely sounds nice too!