3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Intake fan!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake air!

First thing about a diesel is Air in and Exhaust out. Put big air intake on is better and open up the exaust the bigger the better.
So of you don't make any sence or cents. It takes air to get power as well as fuel.
Can you actually get to much air? At what ratio does a diesel get to lean? I can't thing of anyone ever saying on this forum that they had to much air coming into their motor.
Now hold on I can deffinitly see that at Idle I can push to much air in with the intake fan. But as soon as a little throttle is applied the fan is just eliminating the the filter restriction. If a plugged filter can cause a decrease in performance why can't a no restiction filtration system give you power and economy. You guys that talk about blowing smoke at low rpm, if you had enough air it wouldn't be smoke would it. Why would you need a second turbo if it wasn't for more air.
I think with this intake fan, I could go to a bigger single turbo and not have the lag problem that is talked abut. Is a bigger single going to get better ecomomy though?
Old 04-01-2006, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
Yes I know that it is an Air Pump!
BUT:The removal of any gas (Oxygen) from a particular space is considered Vacuum, so during the entire combustion cycle there is in Theory a Vacuum that is created.
I'm done!

Please let me know why a Diesel needs a seperate Vacuum Pump?
This term vacuum is what is messing up the works. For one when you talk to a bunch of diesel guys about vacuum and a diesel engine your going to get your self into trouble. Since diesels are considered not to create any vacuum and have to use a vacuum pump to operate things like heater controls or vacuum brake boosters. May as well answer your question at this point. Like I said earlier, when your measuring what so many call vacuum, your really measuring the resistance to flow. A gas engine has a throttle plate to create this resistance to air flow, so it has a measurable amount of vacuum. A diesel does not have this restriction, so no vacuum. So a vacuum pump, which is really just an air pump has to be used. So right now your sucking in the air, vacuum theory should be feeling weak.
Second, the term is messing up your thinking about how things work.
And so many things rely on this simple princable. Propellers, fans, engines, and so on.

Like stated by someone else, a true vacuum can not be created on earth. So all you have is realitive pressures. It is like it being -20 degrees outside. Yes it is below zero, but there is still heat energy in the air.
Or you take two air tanks and connect them together with a shut off valve between them. Say the valve is off, one tank has 50 psi the other has 100 psi. If you open the valve the tanks will equalize. Not because the 50 pound tank is sucking the air to it, but because the 100 psi tank is pushing the air to the lesser tank. That is what I mean when I say on earth it is all realitive pressures. Everything is under pressure, it is just a matter of how they relate to each other.
So when someone says there is 20 inches of vacuum there, all they are saying is there is 20 inches of less pressure in relation to atmosphere pressure.But there is still pressure there. If a vacuum guage's zero mark was at a true vacuum you would see everything is under pressure. But zero is atmosphere pressure.

If you could put an engine in an oxygen rich enviroment that had zero atmospheric pressure it would not run. Because the pistons don't suck the air in, atmosperic pressure pushes it in.

Fans and props create low pressure zones, and higher pressure hurries in to equalize the zone, hence creating flow or movment.

Now one guy mentioned you can't put more then 5 gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket. That is true. Because you can't compress a liquid. But you can compress air. So you can keep putting more air into a certain area. Up to a point of something exploding of course.

So how does this relate to the subject at hand? Simple, knowing how this all works, you will understand the only way the fan in the air box will work,as he describes, is if it is pressurizing the air on the intake side of the filter more then atmospheric pressure. In which you can your own conclusions from there.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:34 AM

Didn't somebody try this with a weed wacker and a honda civic?? Don't think it added any power to it, and that's adding pressure to a non pressure application. I understand what your trying to say, but your only going to put so much pressure into the engine. A cooling fan is built for volume, not pressure. Any excess air you get in there will just blow back out of the filter.

This brings to mind the whole air plane on a conveyor belt. So if it had a fan in front of the turbine, it would be able to take off??
Old 04-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tree DR
First thing about a diesel is Air in and Exhaust out. Put big air intake on is better and open up the exaust the bigger the better.
So of you don't make any sence or cents. It takes air to get power as well as fuel.
Can you actually get to much air? At what ratio does a diesel get to lean? I can't thing of anyone ever saying on this forum that they had to much air coming into their motor.
Now hold on I can deffinitly see that at Idle I can push to much air in with the intake fan. But as soon as a little throttle is applied the fan is just eliminating the the filter restriction. If a plugged filter can cause a decrease in performance why can't a no restiction filtration system give you power and economy. You guys that talk about blowing smoke at low rpm, if you had enough air it wouldn't be smoke would it. Why would you need a second turbo if it wasn't for more air.
I think with this intake fan, I could go to a bigger single turbo and not have the lag problem that is talked abut. Is a bigger single going to get better ecomomy though?
Your little fan is not adding air - for combustion. The compressor wheel of the turbo can only move a certain cfm at a certain rpm. The fan would not help a larger turbo spool faster. The compressor wheel is not what drives the turbo. The exhaust wheel drives the compressor wheel which moves the air it has available. I appologize for not knowing the CFM capabilities of our turbo as I write this, but, let's say that under stock conditions it is capable of 800cfm. If there is enough air present for the comp wheel to max out at 800cfm, it does NO good to supply more air to it. The only way to spool a turbo faster is to increase exhaust flow - increasing intake flow will only help if the engine can actually take advantage of the additional air to produce more exhaust.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:29 AM

If you could put an engine in an oxygen rich enviroment that had zero atmospheric pressure it would not run. Because the pistons don't suck the air in, atmosperic pressure pushes it in.
YES YES YES! This is the best point made yet! This is why thoes P-51 Mustangs had HUGE Superchargers on them....because where they fly, the pressure is less than at sea level.

When a piston pulls down in the Cyl, it does not hold any more than what that volume of the Cyl can hold. UNLESS it has some sort of forced induction on it.

That fan will not even come close to clearing up the smoke before spool up. The fan you use is VERY inefficent for compression like stated before. It will move air...but when you put a restriction on it...the air will bleed back through the fan. Its just not designed for it.

Tell you what....why dont your dyno your truck with and without the fan...and let us know what you find out. Take 4 runs with, average them out, and let the truck cool. Then take 4 runs without, average them out, and see what you get. I dont think you will see any gaines.

Get a TAG and an AFE stage II Intake, i think that will work better for what you are tring to do.....
Old 04-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Chapter President

You are absolutely right on not helping or at least without a dyno proof. Seat of the pants and mpg wise doesn't show anything except on take off it pulls off the line a lot harder. Only gone 2000mi since the install and no adverse effects. I've tried it with the fan removed from the air box and mpg at this point I can't tell any difference. With the fan in it pull lots of water into the air box if its raining. Intake air temps do show to be cooler most of the time. Deffinitly cools the intake air temp faster after a short hot stop. I can't tell that there is any more boost pressure at normall driving yet. What do most trucks boost levels run at 65mph cruising, level ground no major head wind?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Muted User

Yes a leaf blower works click here

Only because a leaf blower will actually compress the air, a fan will not.
The fans that are being sold as "electric superchargers" are just fans used for ventilation of a boat engine compartment.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:29 AM

Yes a leaf blower may work on a NA 4 banger small displacement gas motor.....Stand by for pics of a Leaf Blower straped to my hood with a NOS bottle tapped to the side......its going to be the newest thing.....who needs twins.....
Old 04-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by Diesel_Dan
Yes a leaf blower may work on a NA 4 banger small displacement gas motor.....Stand by for pics of a Leaf Blower straped to my hood with a NOS bottle tapped to the side......its going to be the newest thing.....who needs twins.....

You just need a bigger leaf blower. (i didn't say it was a good idea, i just said it does work) I have seen a NOS bottle bolted to the hood of an old POS muscle car. I was impressed.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Chapter President

Well as you can see I did get to the dyno and the graphs are in my photo area. You can make your own conclusion. As you can see in my signature I think it works.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:35 PM

Spool up can be aided by air being forced over the compressor wheel...

Does anyone know why twins work? ;-)

I don't think the fan is big enough to do much...but it most likely did what his dynos showed.