3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

intake and exhaust worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question intake and exhaust worth it?

Hello Folks,

I know it has been talked about many times on what specific unit to get. I am just wondering if it really makes a difference(seat of the pants) to get intake and exhaust. I will be getting a box like the edge sometime in the next few months but I dont plan on getting to crazy or extensive. I just want a little more power. I dont haul to much heavy stuff yet. next year I will tow w TT toybox but it still wont be to big. These machines already have amazing power. The wallet will only go so far for me. Thanks for any future input. By the way, I have a 04.5 48RE.

----Chris
Old 08-30-2004, 06:52 PM

The biggest restriction in the 04.5 exhaust is the muffler. Many of our customers have opted to replace the muffler with an Aeroturbine right after the cat and that seems to work pretty well. As for the air intake, you might consider the Scotty III with two stage foam filter element along with a Turbo Air Guide (TAG). It will all be worth it when you get gauges and fueling box.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:27 PM

oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I actually care about my warranty and dont want any trouble or questions from the dealers. That is why I am most likely gonna get an easy install/uninstall fuel box. Thanks for the reply, I will look into the muffler thing.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:02 AM

Re: intake and exhaust worth it?

Originally posted by firstgrp4
Hello Folks,

I know it has been talked about many times on what specific unit to get. I am just wondering if it really makes a difference(seat of the pants) to get intake and exhaust. I will be getting a box like the edge sometime in the next few months but I dont plan on getting to crazy or extensive. I just want a little more power. I dont haul to much heavy stuff yet. next year I will tow w TT toybox but it still wont be to big. These machines already have amazing power. The wallet will only go so far for me. Thanks for any future input. By the way, I have a 04.5 48RE.

----Chris
You're probably not going to notice a huge increase in power (if any at all). The biggest advantage to intake and exhaust mods is when you add a box of some sort, it will help keep the EGTs in check. Most people will tell you get gauges first (which I haven't gotten, but I don't tow), so you may want to think about that, too. EGT and Boost at a minimum. Have fun with the truck!
Old 08-31-2004, 07:55 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: intake and exhaust worth it?

Hello Folks,

----Chris
If "seat of the pants" is all you're concerned with then I'd have to say that an exhaust and intake are not worth the money. However, if you're concerned with keeping your EGT's low (which you should be if you're going to get a box) then they definitely are worth the money.

With that said, if you have an '04 with the full 4" exhaust then it's a waste of money in my opinion to buy another 4" system. Just change the muffler or remove it completely and put a straight pipe in. If you're on a budget, there are some modifications you can do to your stock airbox that will give the truck more air and cost you less than $10.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:59 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I actually care about my warranty and dont want any trouble or questions from the dealers. That is why I am most likely gonna get an easy install/uninstall fuel box. Thanks for the reply, I will look into the muffler thing.
If you're that concerned with warranty then it's best to leave the truck stock. They'll know you had a box on there whether you take it off or not...and they have the right to know in my opinion.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:12 AM

Before you start down the BOMBing road, you really need to make a fundamental decision - Am I willing to pay to play?? That is, you should be prepared to fork over the $$$ for any failures or damages related to your BOMBing, and maybe some that aren't since many dealers (and DC) are very intolerant of modifications. If not, the best thing you can do is to leave the truck stock.

BOMBing the truck and then trying to conceal it from the dealer to get repairs made is, IMHO, fraud.

Rusty
Old 08-31-2004, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I share your concern about keeping the warranty intact. I believe that someone on this board (though it could have been TDR or dieselram) was talking about an injector upgrade offered by a Dodge dealer in Ariz. Allegedly, the injectors added performance close to a mild fueling box with no EGT concerns. Most importantly, the poster said that the injectors were DC approved and did not affect the warranty.

Sound too good to be true? Probably, because I haven't read any followup. I figured if it was for real, we'd be hearing more about them.

Myself, I'm resisting the urge to bomb and leaving mine bone stock (for now). For everyday driving, it's just fine. My first pull up to Big Bear Lake with my 10k fiver was pretty impressive. I'll know more in Oct. when I run up to the Eastern Sierras for my fall fishing trip - side by side with my ex-Ford. That will be the acid test. If I can't outpull that sucker, then bombs away!!!

Good luck with your decision.

Neil
Old 08-31-2004, 11:00 AM

Just get rid of the stock muffler.
It will sound better, and it will lower the EGT.
That should not effect your warranty.
Hold off on the bombing for a while and give it some thought.
You could also modify the air box and keep the stock air filter in it.
I know It's tempting to go for BIG POWER, but if you do, you are your own warranty.
Just my opinion.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:08 PM

When I first got my truck, I ran it at my local dragstrip and it ran a best of 16.10 @ 83. Removing the cat and muffler dropped it to a 15.89 @ 84. I have a 3/4 ton quad cab short bed 4wd. The 60 foot picked up 0.11 which is where it helped the most but I was up against the converter for all it was worth for both passes and launching in 4wd to avoid traction issues. Was also run in the AZ summer heat. Just to give you an idea of what I saw. Pretty sad that the big bad Hemi in an identical equipped truck barley runs in the 16s!
Old 08-31-2004, 04:29 PM

Here is a link on the TDR about the "miracle" injectors being installed. I don't know that they are made by Dodge, but they were installed by a dealer (to the best of my understanding). They're not quite meeting the claims that were made, however.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:23 AM

Ebony600, that's not a bad increase. I wonder if a majority of that came from the muffler and not the cat?
Old 09-01-2004, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LinearX,

Here is a link on the TDR about the "miracle" injectors being installed. I don't know that they are made by Dodge
I don't know if this was referring to my post above, but that was not the discussion thread I was thinking about.

The thread I was talking about is this one.

If this turns out to be on the level, it just may be an answer for those of us wanting just a little more performance but are unwilling to become "our own warranty station."

Neil
Old 09-01-2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by NJMurvin
LinearX,

I don't know if this was referring to my post above, but that was not the discussion thread I was thinking about.

The thread I was talking about is this one.

If this turns out to be on the level, it just may be an answer for those of us wanting just a little more performance but are unwilling to become "our own warranty station."

Neil
Now that you posted that a link to that thread, I recall reading that. I'm not sure if these are the same "miracle" injector or not. It seems that the ones from the link I posted haven't quite lived up to the claims of more power without more EGT, however.

It would really be nice to see DC and/or Cummins get behind a set of performance injectors that wouldn't void the warranty, or at least the dealer take the heat if something went awry with the injectors being installed.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:06 PM

I think alot of it was the muffler. I put the muffler back on for a few days and it sure felt like it lost alot of what I gained. It's back off now. I haven't had it back to the track but I should in the next week or so. I finally got my gauges in (boost, egt, trans temp) and feel alot safer about beating on it. I will also be pulling the intake silencer out and replacing it with a free flowing intake, but I will make a few passes before I put that on. I'll post the results. What controller/computer do you guys suggest? I will also be upgrading the turbo, no twins but that may come in the distant future. I want to see 14's out my monster, sure shock alot of people. Sound reasonable? Thanks!

Quick Reply: intake and exhaust worth it?