3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Installing gagues

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing gagues

I'm expecting my Dipricol EGT and Boost gague any day now. I want to have all the required tools before they get here. What size drill and tap is everyone using for the dipricol. I think it said it came with both 1/8 and 1/4" thermocouples.

Also, is there a diffrence between NPT, NC, NF taps. I went to a local Sears hardware and couldnt find anything that said NPT. Are you guys using regular grease for the drill and tap or is there a special cutting grease that I need to get.

One more thing, I guess I'll use Teflon tape on the boost bolt, but what about the thermocouple. Will copper thread sealant hold up to the task.

Thanks
John
Old 07-20-2004, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Installing gagues

Also, is there a diffrence between NPT, NC, NF taps. I went to a local Sears hardware and couldnt find anything that said NPT. Are you guys using regular grease for the drill and tap or is there a special cutting grease that I need to get.

NPT = National Pipe Thread, is a taperred thread that tightens up the more items are turned

NC = National Coarse, is a uniform thread, having fewer threads per inch than National Fine.

NF = National Fine, has many threads per inch, is a shallower, low rise thread that is used in high strength or high vibration areas to resist loosening.

For the thermocouple, use the NPT tap so the sender tightens and seals in the manifold. NC is not the same thread pitch, but I have seen it done. Also, the NPT sizing is different -- usually the 1/8 or 1/4 references the pipe inside diameter, not the size of the hole being tapped!! This means the hole is actually considerably larger to take in the wall thickness of the pipe.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:55 PM

I used a 1/4 NPT for the thermocouple. As far as sealant I used the copper sealant and have had no problems. I did not use any cutting grease or oil to tap mine. I just drilled it, taped it, and cleaned out the manifold with a strong magnet until no metal shavings were left.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:33 AM

npt

so for a 1/4 npt thermocoupler you use a 1/4 npt tap and a 7/16 drill bit right?
d12
Old 07-25-2004, 05:50 AM

Re: npt

Originally posted by durango12
so for a 1/4 npt thermocoupler you use a 1/4 npt tap and a 7/16 drill bit right?
d12
Yes. I did the install 2 days ago and those are the correct sizes. Very easy to do, just take your time. One thing I noticed is the exhaust manifold is much thicker than I thought. Use grease and a magnet.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:49 PM

All you guys that say just use a magnet and grease are taking you Turbo into you own hands (about $4500). If you want to do it right then take the extra hour and remove the trubo or atleast remove the bolts and break it away form the exhaust manifold and slide some type of cover in there then drill and tap and then use the magnet to finish getting shaving out. Make sure you take icture so you can prove it to DC when your Turbo bites the big one. This way they have to replace it and then actually have to send it in to have it torn apart to be inspected.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:09 PM

All you guys that say just use a magnet and grease are taking you Turbo into you own hands (about $4500)
i can buy many turbo's for that price eh... or a few upgraded turbos...

stock hy35w's float around on ebay new & used for the ±$500 range
Old 07-25-2004, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by SuperGewl
All you guys that say just use a magnet and grease are taking you Turbo into you own hands (about $4500). If you want to do it right then take the extra hour and remove the trubo or atleast remove the bolts and break it away form the exhaust manifold and slide some type of cover in there then drill and tap and then use the magnet to finish getting shaving out. Make sure you take icture so you can prove it to DC when your Turbo bites the big one. This way they have to replace it and then actually have to send it in to have it torn apart to be inspected.
As slow as I went, I can assure you I had no chips left over in the manifold. Also, the magnet I used was attached to a flexable shaft as opposed to a rigid one. I was able to bend the magnet and run it fore and aft a good 4" along the bottom of the manifold.

I guess I would have known right away if there were any problems.

P.S... My thermocouple is on the top of the manifold a few inches forward of where the manifold goes down to bolt to the turbo. I have seen some people put it on the side of that down turn. If that is the case I would agree with supergewl to remove the turbo.

Just my opinion
John
Old 09-05-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the thread count on the NPT pipe tap? there's different threads is'nt there?
Old 09-06-2004, 07:31 AM

1/8" NPT has 27 threads per inch, don't know about the 1/4".
Old 10-27-2004, 01:30 PM

1/4" has 18 t.p.i. It will look like this on the tap: 1/4 - 18 Use a 7/16" drill bit as stated above