3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

installing Evil Twins, how to install belt w/ Fluidampr

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing Evil Twins, how to install belt w/ Fluidampr

Okay, so I'm on the home stretch for getting my Evil Twins installed. All the fuel lines and electrical connections are looking good, but when I went to install my new serpentine belt, I realized the Fluidampr is larger than stock, and I can't get the belt between the radiator fan pulley and the crankshaft pulley.

I just did a search on DTR and noticed PourinDiesel had this same problem. The choices are to either loosen up the fan pulley mount or pull the damper.

I've never done either, so what would be the easiest to do? I don't have a barring tool to stop the crankshaft from turning while loosening the Fluidampr, so would it be easier to just loosen the fan pulley mount? It looks like 6 or 7 small (13mm?) screws, would I just loosen those? I'll be doing this in the morning, so any advice and directions on this would be appreciated!

Jared
Attached Thumbnails installing Evil Twins, how to install belt w/ Fluidampr-.jpg   installing Evil Twins, how to install belt w/ Fluidampr-b.jpg   installing Evil Twins, how to install belt w/ Fluidampr-c.jpg  
Old 05-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Banned

I would loosen up the dampner and then put it on. That is what I had to do since I put my dampner on.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good Jared!!! IIRC I think you will have to take the dampr off and put the belt and dampr on at the same time....I got a barring tool here at work..if you wanna come and grab it in the morning you are more then welcome to try it...I know some guys have used the Alternator for turning..but I don't know if you can get away with holding the engine from spinning with the same method?? I have always used the barring tool so I dont know??are you running a modded pump and a stock pump or did you sell your modded pump and just run two stock CP3's?
Old 05-10-2008, 12:26 AM

Thanks, I will give you a ring in the morning. After doing some more searching on DTR, it looks like removing the damper is the way to go as long as you have the barring tool.

I have the II Stage 2 on the bottom. I was hoping to find another stock cp3 so I could sell my Stage 2 and recoup some of the cost, but it didn't happen in time, so I'll run this and see how it goes, then keep my eye out for another stock one in good condition.

Originally Posted by 53 ******
Looking good Jared!!! IIRC I think you will have to take the dampr off and put the belt and dampr on at the same time....I got a barring tool here at work..if you wanna come and grab it in the morning you are more then welcome to try it...I know some guys have used the Alternator for turning..but I don't know if you can get away with holding the engine from spinning with the same method?? I have always used the barring tool so I dont know??are you running a modded pump and a stock pump or did you sell your modded pump and just run two stock CP3's?
Old 05-10-2008, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by jaredb900rr
Thanks, I will give you a ring in the morning. After doing some more searching on DTR, it looks like removing the damper is the way to go as long as you have the barring tool.

I have the II Stage 2 on the bottom. I was hoping to find another stock cp3 so I could sell my Stage 2 and recoup some of the cost, but it didn't happen in time, so I'll run this and see how it goes, then keep my eye out for another stock one in good condition.
cool man...give me a buzz....I found my used CP3 on ebay from a guy here in SLC!!! I paid $300 for it and it was a 06 CP3 with about 10k on it!I can give you his number if you are looking for another stocker....let me know Mark
Old 05-10-2008, 06:53 AM
wap

I guess you got it figured out but yeah, you pretty much gota pull the damper. I tried loosening mine enought to clear the belt but it was no good. I had to pull it completely off to get my factory replacement serpentine belt on. I also did it without a barring tool. It takes longer and is a royal pain but can be done with a 6spd.

Mark, if you dont mind shoot me a link to send me the number to the fellow you got your cp3 from please. I have been lookin for a stocker too but I am in no hurry and certainly not goin to pay what some of these people want for a used cp3.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:06 AM

The fan pulley mount is 4 10mm bolts that mount to the block it self.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:53 AM

I was able to change mine by starting the belt in the gap between the Fluidampnr and fan hub and while holding the belt in place rotate the engine on the dampner bolts.The belt just kind of squeezed thru while it rotated.No damage done to the belt.Too much of a pain to drop the fluidampnr.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:53 PM

I just loosened the fan pulley mounts since my Fluid Damper bolts were already torqued and Loctite'ed in and I didn't want to worry later on about dampers falling off from broken "re-used" bolts, etc.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:01 PM

I ended up borrowing a barring tool from Mark (53Willys) and took the Fluidampr off. It's only four bolts so it came off pretty fast. Draped the serpentine belt over the radiator fan pulley from the bottom and then worked the belt around clockwise starting with the water pump pulley. Now that the 2nd cp3 pulley is in the mix, you really have to move that automatic tensioner down to get the belt onto the last alternator pulley. I had a friend pull the belt onto the pulley as I cranked on the tensioner. Can't imagine doing it by yourself if something happened to your belt while you were by yourself in the middle of nowhere.

And by the way, the truck runs GREAT now! Rail pressure seems normal at idle and cruise then when you get on it, it's instantly there and ramps up to 25K...I'm loving these twin pumps!
Old 05-10-2008, 08:21 PM

Jared, I am glad you got it together! You are gonna love em.