3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Installing Cooling mist TIPS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installing Cooling mist TIPS?

I'm going to install a coolingmist kit today on a 06.

Any tips on the install? where should i mount the controller? in cab or under hood? where??
Where do you mount the tank?
pics would be nice too.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2008, 11:59 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont have any tips on installing, but I am glad to see you using water injection! ( -:
Old 05-30-2008, 12:51 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is how my Coolingmist is set up. I really want to find a different way to mount the controller but there is really no good place for it. I have the nozzles set up to spray as direct into the air flow as possible. I had them set 90* apart with the stock horn but the butt dyno says the current way works better. EGT's are the same with either set up.

P.S. the intake horn is a works-in-progress I used the windshield washer tank for my resevoir. I couldnt find a nice place to mount the 1 gal. reservoir they gave me. I would like to get a 6 gal. tank to mount in the bed sometime.
Installing Cooling mist TIPS?-100_0489.jpg

Installing Cooling mist TIPS?-100_0490.jpg

Installing Cooling mist TIPS?-100_0491.jpg
Old 05-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Banned

I think the Coolingmist controller has to go in-cab? Either way I would still put it in the cab since it's adjustable-on-the-fly.

On my 1st gen I mounted a 6gal tank inside the toolbox. Keeps it nice and protected from heat and vandals.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by matego
Here is how my Coolingmist is set up. I really want to find a different way to mount the controller but there is really no good place for it. I have the nozzles set up to spray as direct into the air flow as possible. I had them set 90* apart with the stock horn but the butt dyno says the current way works better. EGT's are the same with either set up.

P.S. the intake horn is a works-in-progress I used the windshield washer tank for my resevoir. I couldnt find a nice place to mount the 1 gal. reservoir they gave me. I would like to get a 6 gal. tank to mount in the bed sometime.
Attachment 22336

Attachment 22337

Attachment 22338
In theory, the spray will atomize better if it's directed against the air flow instead of with it.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:04 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by jrussell
In theory, the spray will atomize better if it's directed against the air flow instead of with it.
You are right, thats what I thought. My stock intake horn looks like swiss cheese with holes and plugs. I am just going by what my butt-dyno tells me but it may need calibrated. We all know where theories get us with the CTD though.....
Old 05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by matego
You are right, thats what I thought. My stock intake horn looks like swiss cheese with holes and plugs. I am just going by what my butt-dyno tells me but it may need calibrated. We all know where theories get us with the CTD though.....
Yeah, I gave up on my butt-dyno after it told me Crazy Larry was faster than Smarty 4.4.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:28 PM

Ok, since we are talking butt dyno, What are you running, 50/50 water/meth?

I installed the kit, but havent gotten any methanol yet, i suppose water is not supposed to give any power, at least i didnt notice anything, EGTs seem to reach 1650 degrees a little slower... whew Im not sure if this is normal, but we have a smarty, flux 2, a 66/14 turbo, intake, exhaust, and still EGTs on the banksPDA climb to 1650 degrees before the 1/4 mile.

i put the tank behind the driverside battery, and the controller under the dash, i made a braket and a hinge, so i can turn it up, underneath the dash to keep it out of sight, and easily pull it down so you can reach it and see it to adjust it from there. it turned out nice IMO
Old 06-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Banned

Are you sure you're getting enough water? How many nozzles and what size(s) are you running?

For best results you should be injecting the maximum amount of water the engine can handle. To find the maximum keep adding more until the engine starts to "bog". Back it off a hair from there and you're good to go.

I'm not a fan of installing the tank inside the engine compartment because the solution gets very hot. Having the tank somewhere else keeps the solution cooler which has to help somewhat with cooling.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 AM

i didnt think about that fact, till we made the first test drive, and after that touched the tank, and felt it was hot, like everything else in the engine compartment.

Can you explain that about "bogging' the engine? we wnt with the coolingmist for diesel stage 2 (non egt)

im not sure if its getting enough water, what egts should i be seeing?
i installed the two nozzles provided in the kit. i think 12 gph each.

i installed them 5" apart entering on the rear part of the banks high ram. oh yeah and the truck has a banks intercooler too
Old 06-02-2008, 12:21 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

What settings do you have your controller set at? I can only bog mine if I have it set below 10PSI start and max spray at 25PSI with program 9 turned on. You will know when you are spraying too much, it will pop and miss like you have 3 injectors going out.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM

min 10 max 20 psi, program 9 or 10.

i have been playing with different settings, if the min pressure is at 15 and max at 30, it doesnt spray, not sure why yet.

does reving it in neutral, with the min pressure set low, cause a popping?

im not sure if its the smarty we installed yesterday or water (now that you mentioned it)
Old 06-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 12valve
min 10 max 20 psi, program 9 or 10.

i have been playing with different settings, if the min pressure is at 15 and max at 30, it doesnt spray, not sure why yet.

does reving it in neutral, with the min pressure set low, cause a popping?

im not sure if its the smarty we installed yesterday or water (now that you mentioned it)
Something isn't right if you're exceeding 15psi of boost and it isn't spraying. On mine I had installed a LED that came on when the motor kicked on. That way at least I could tell if it was a motor/controller problem or just a priming issue.

It's recommended to start at no less than 15psi and max out at 25+psi. You don't really need the added cooling under 15psi.

Revving in neutral shouldn't do anything because the truck won't build boost in N.

I remember being very disappointed after first installing the kit on my '93. Didn't seem to help with cooling one bit, but that was because I wasn't injecting enough water. These engines can/will consume unbelievable amounts of water. If I remember correctly, I ended up using a 12gph and a 17gph or 18gph and then I noticed a big difference in cooling (and power with meth added).
Old 06-02-2008, 02:03 PM

thanks for all the help man on each thread! i wish we could get out truck running as good as yours. btw we are now looking into twins. lets see, what my buddy wants.

i hope we get this truck running well soon.

what kinda boost do you see with your twins?
Old 06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Banned

No problem man.

I usually see around 50-55psi max. It has hit 60-64psi a couple of times in cold weather though.

Quick Reply: Installing Cooling mist TIPS?