3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Installing aftermarket lift pump on 03 and which one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing aftermarket lift pump on 03 and which one?

Well, the tax return is in and need to some more mods.

My 03 still has the factory lift pump on the fuel canister. Starts quickly and runs perfect but wanna make sure I don't get left stranded.

Unsure of fuel pressure, but Isspro gauge will be going in at the same time.

I'm wanting to install an aftermarket unit. Not sure which I should use, AIRDOG, FASS, Glacier, etc. Any suggestions. I've heard the FASS and its loud for sure. Thats the only experience I've had with any of the three.

I relocated the lift pump on my 01 and moved it right next to the transfer case.

I'm wondering how much of PIA the install is going to be on the 03? Do you need to drop the tank or remove the bed?

Looked at the installs for the RAPTOR and FASS and looks like a PIA to get to the top of the fuel pump?

Any tips for install or recommendations on the pump? Should I go with a filtered unit or just the pump? What GPH should I go with. Thinkin 150? Any downside to the higher GPH flow rate? My plans down the road might be a larger single turbo (maybe Garrett), maybe Flux 1.8s, maybe upgraded CP3.

Should I just pay someone to install?

I've got another vehicle and more time then money so I would prefer to install myself if its worth it.

I'm not a master mechanic by any means, but did the Valve Body in my 03, did injectors in my 01, exhaust on my 01, Skyjacker front springs on my 01, etc.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:44 PM

Any of those will be fine for your truck. If you don't plan on high HP I would go with the AirDog 100 simple install with no need to drill for a draw straw!!
Old 03-28-2009, 07:50 PM

Have you ever considered a mechanical one??? I say that because I am not sure an electric pump is any more realiable then what you have if your talking about doing for realibility reasons... and a mechanical pump won't have noise issues that are common for electric pumps...

When I decide to do one, it will be Opies mechanical set-up (still allows the factory electric pump to be a back up if it ever did fail)...
Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was able to install the Raptor RP100 pump without dropping the tank. It was tight getting my hands in there but it can be done. That was the hardest part of the installation.

MikeyB
Old 03-28-2009, 09:17 PM
ltw

Does the raptor 100 have the filters or stand alone pump?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Raptor is just the pump.

I'm using 5 micron Baldwin filter in the stock fuel filter canister.

MikeyB
Old 03-28-2009, 09:36 PM

Like a buddy told me, you have to pick a hp goal & stick to it. Or its going to cost you alot more, since will have to upgrade parts twice, etc. I have a 03, set out to be around 500hp. So I went with the Raptor 100, as it it design to hook to the stock fuel pick up/sender. I put another fuel filter before the CP3, so wasnt going to pay the extra for the airdog. I did remove the box, but it was to put the old style pickup back into the tank, without the intank pump. But as you said, your pump is on the motor still. At the time, fass only worked with a standpipe, didnt interest me at all. Thats why I picked the raptor again, think fass does the same now. You can wiggle in there without taking the tank off, its tight. The airdog/raptor 100 is go for 550hp, not sure what the limit of the 150 is. The 150's need a straw of somesort, most will tell you to get the 150. Im happy with my setup. You will be able to handle the install your self, since you are sledder. Let me know if you have any more ?, later.

Trending Topics

Old 03-28-2009, 10:13 PM
ltw

Has the pump ever give you any issues such as plugging? I heard the fass pump stand alone plugs up and you have to go inside and clean it.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:14 PM

Im going with a machanical pump from opie, Seames like the best choice to me, have to wait till he replenishes his stock though..........
Old 03-29-2009, 07:55 AM

The air dog 100 is a very easy install on our 03 models. It comes with detailed instructions and was the best price at the time.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 PM

So I have the Airdog 100 in hand and have a few questions?

Do I totally eliminate the stock fuel filter housing? Make a big difference in psi?

Were do I plumb in for a fuel pressure gauge?

Looks like a line goes onto the CP3 so you can't use a banjo there. Should I try to just find a tee with two barbed ends and a threaded end for fuel sender?

Thanks guys
Old 04-02-2009, 09:51 PM

Since you have gone with the air dog, the factory fuel filter could be replaced. Glacier diesel makes a delete kit for the fuel filter housing, it bolts in place, or just run the 1/2 line right to the CP3 inlet. I think the best place is to take fuel pressure reading is @ the inlet. Instead of cutting the 1/2 line, then putting a t inline with a sender. Vulcan sells a 90' fitting with a tapped hole for a sender. The airdog comes with the fitting that your going to install into the pump, then a 90' fitting the goes into the 1/2 hose, but its not tapped. Airdog also sells them, but doesnt put them in the kits, looks way better than cutting into the hose & more leak points.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:01 PM

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/category-s/186.htm
Heres the fitting hans is talking about. That is the route I went with my 150 install. The only problem I had was I needed to by a longer stainless braided fuel line because I mounted my isolator near the fire wall.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:35 PM

Ordered the Russell fitting

Should work

http://www.xtremediesel.com/russellf...tsideport.aspx
Old 04-03-2009, 06:40 AM
D45

Originally Posted by GlennRMK
My 03 still has the factory lift pump on the fuel canister.
Do you mean it is on the fuel filter cannister or the fuel cannister on the tank?

My '04 had the factory mounted lift pump, which died at about 50,00 miles. The dealer installed and retro-fit, in tank setup.....

I just recently installed an Air Dog 150 in my truck, it was hands down one of the best mods I did on my truck.......increased performance, increase throttle response, alot more power, better mpgs, etc

For simplicity reasons, I obtained a modified fuel cannister, from Chris at HDR Diesel:

I have a fully modified, drop-in cannister:

http://www.idahobombersforum.com/vb/...6613#post66613

http://www.idahobombersforum.com/vb/...ead.php?t=5321

I DID NOT have to cut, splice, or do anything with the fuel filler neck.

I dropped the tank and did NOT have to worry about removing the large bed.

Additionally, I DID NOT have to measure, cut, or worry about the draw straw length.

Lastly, I DID NOT have to pop a hole in the fuel tank!

I simply removed the stock cannister and drop in the replacement cannister. How much more easy can that be?

The kits can be purchased for you to modify on your stock cannister or you can get the whole, entire cannister.........like I did.

Quick Reply: Installing aftermarket lift pump on 03 and which one?