3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Installing aftermarket clutch, is there a how-to article?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing aftermarket clutch, is there a how-to article?

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a how-to article I could check out on changing out the clutch for a high performance one. I know what needs to be done, but I wanted to read up on it if theres anything out there in case there is some tips or tricks to doing it, or special tools I might need. If I'm going to try it on my own I figured the more I know ahead of time the better!

Thanks,
Jason
Old 11-16-2007, 11:27 AM

don't know of a 'how-to' article but...

From the install on mine:
a barring tool to turn/hold flywheel would be good thing to have, not required but very nice.

A good trans. jack, the first time i did mine with an add-on to a regular floor-jack almost impossible.

I removed my exhaust from the turbo back to just before the muffler.

The way i read the instructions w/ my kit I didn't think i needed to remove the little shim/washer thing behind the ball stud. I got everything back together and the throw-out bearing sounded like it was running all the time. Everything sounded too noisy (mine is just a single disc). Everyone I talked to said it was normal. I even added a fluid damper harmaonic balancer. still too noisy. I ended up (buying a real trans. jack) taking everything back apart and removing the little shim under the ball stud. Thing is only about 1/8th to 3/16 inch thick, but made a huge difference in the noise level.

Lock-tite

Watch the boot around the trans shifter, the red one on top of the trans shifter housing. They tear pretty easy.

Can't think of anything else special to watch for in the process.
Hope this helps.

jeff
Old 11-16-2007, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the advice, what is the ball stud you are talking about? Does that have to do with how the T/O bearing mounts?

Jason