3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Installed Quadzilla XZT - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Quadzilla XZT - Questions

This is the non adjustable 65 Hp module.

Feels like I got a little more power, if anything, but the power is 'peakier' kind of like a car with an aggressive cam. Really got the chip for milage so that does not really concern me one way or another.

Anyway, noticed that my common rail is making a ticking sound - sounds like a lifter that is sticking. Don't really know if the truck has always made this sound as I can't honestly say that that I have poped the hood & listened to my engine run. Is this ticking normal?

Also, I did the tone ring mod & advanced the timing about 2 deg. or so. After installing the XZT it still does not seem like the timing is too advanced - does not really sound any different at idle or while driveing. Should I back off the tone ring timing as the XZT advances the timing itself?

I don't have gages (yet). As long as I don't tow heavy or flog it on teh drag strip, will I be safe?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:52 AM

I have a Quad Std and when it's cold, I do get some pinging (I believe due to the added timing). It is quiet once it warms up. I did notice that when I ran Power Service the pinging was louder. I swithced to Stanadyne and it is really quiet now. I don't have any issues with peaky power, I think it comes on smooth and strong. I have been running the 30 & 60hp settings, and my mileage has increased a little. It is getting better now that I have gotten over the initial foot to the floor every time I drive it syndrome.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:08 AM

I have the Quad Std & modified timing sensor. I wouldn't worry about the ticking sound. It's just timing ping. Yes it's louder with the Quad than without, but I don't feel that it's too much.

I'm in the same boat as 05HDRAM, I feel that the quad comes on smooth & strong.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 AM

I recently installed my xzt a few weeks ago... I do not hear the pinging your referring to but I can't say that I have truly listened for it. The truck sounds the same with or without it for the most part.

As for power I find mine smooth and strong as mentioned ealier, I have not done the tone ring mod though. (comparing apples to oranges) In my opinion the power is an extremely noticable difference. Like from driving a tank to a Hum V.

As for gas milage, as long as I can keep my foot off of the new found power in the ole truck, I am seeing hand calculated 21 and some change (mpg).
Old 05-10-2007, 12:03 PM

I have heard the pinging you describe with mine but only during warm up. How do some people get over 20mpg with this mod? I drive very conservatively and the absolute best Ive seen is 19.2 and thats with the tach never accelerating over 1800. Yeah, boring I know.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:14 PM

If you don't hear the timing rattle at all then you can still advance it somemore.......
I got no rattle when I had the Quad on my truck along with the Rokktech....
Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by CTDjoey
I have heard the pinging you describe with mine but only during warm up. How do some people get over 20mpg with this mod? I drive very conservatively and the absolute best Ive seen is 19.2 and thats with the tach never accelerating over 1800. Yeah, boring I know.
I'm getting 21 - 22 stock (just the tone ring mod). Hoping to even get 1 mpg more w/ teh XZT. Yea it's boring (never letting the engine go beyond 1800) but w/ fuel over $3/gal, I'm going to be boring.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
If you don't hear the timing rattle at all then you can still advance it somemore.......
I got no rattle when I had the Quad on my truck along with the Rokktech....
But, if you hear the timing (very slight pinging), should the timing be backed down.

I'm a believer in "you play, you pay" & I can't afford to pay!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Hodowanec
But, if you hear the timing (very slight pinging), should the timing be backed down.

I'm a believer in "you play, you pay" & I can't afford to pay!
That was my concern too. After I installed my 65hp module, i heard, what I call, a light rattle, like low octane gas. But it doesn't change, cold or warm. A couple of people have told me not to worry about it. But after the association with the sound and driving gas engines most of my life, it bothered me. (No other mods besides an Amsoil Ea air filter.

So far I've only gotton between .5 and maybe 1.5 mpg increase. That's the main reason I got it. It's only been a couple months and 'testing" is still in progress. Extra power is noticable.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM

wow, stock and your seeing over 20 and you have 35's.....wish my truck got that kinda mileage
Old 05-10-2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by TX_Diesel
wow, stock and your seeing over 20 and you have 35's.....wish my truck got that kinda mileage
I've been very happy with the MPG this truck has given me . These are no BS numbers. I've kept track of every ounce of diesel this truck has consumed, so there is no fillup error. I've posted my lifetime mpg graph before.

But as, CTDjoey said, driving like I do is boring - 65 to 70 MPH on the highway, never tach teh engine beyond 1800 in town.