3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Installed my new Goerend transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed my new Goerend transmission

I just got done installing my new Goerend transmission this past weekend and wanted to throw out my thoughts. First off the whole crew at Goerend are AMAZING. Would highly recommend anyone to use them for your transmission needs! Just cant find this good honest business anywhere. I had it equipped with billet input & output shafts. Other goodies include BD billet flex plate, DTT shift enhancer, Mag-Tec deep pan (holy cow big), and one of Goerends triple disc converters. This torque converter is absolutely beautiful! hey dave have any spare ones laying around so i can decorate my living room? lol... Everything arrived just as it should and when it should. Everything was pretty straight forward and took about 8hours to complete install. My first impression was wow this thing shifts smooth!. i drove the first few miles then rechaecked the fluid then went out for some fun. I was running smarty on #9 got out on the freeway and rolled into the throttle and it held nice and tight no shudder or slipping like the factory one did locked in fourth... AWESOME... So then i did some hard accel from a stop.... this is my only complaint and it is NOT Goerend's fault.. when i selected my torque converter i went with a 15 blade left cut with a back cut... Dave let me know it would lag my turbo some and it did exactly what he said it would.. my fault... it has a big lag off the line.. so it took alot of the seat of the pants fun out of it... i am talking with dave to see what my options are now... he is awesome did i mention that?
Now... that being said... flip it in 4wd... take the boost up to 10psi... and let her go and its a whole new story...with the turbo already spooled the tranny locks down and harness all power my truck with smarty on #9 and blast off! Torque steered me over about 1 to 2 feet to the left... guess i need to HOLD ON now... the tranny laughs at my truck and begs for more! Sorry my post was so long hope it helps? Now i need twin turbos!
Thanks Dave at Goerend!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:39 PM

Hard to find a better company to deal with!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:55 PM

you did boosted launches, stomped on it from a deads stop and had the smarty on 9 for the break in period? niiiiice job.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:02 PM

Break in Period whats that? Actually the boosted launches were after about 200miles of driving... but being that Goerend dynos the tranny for about 30minutes... then me driving about 200miles... then asking Goerend if there is a break in period and the company Goerend who builds it tell me there isnt a break in period i would hope i am fine... appreciate the concern though... how do you like yours?
Old 05-22-2008, 02:42 PM

Got mine installed by the gang out at Goerend alittle over a month ago and I have to say it was well worth the trip out to Iowa from Ohio to have these guys do it!

Pretty much got the same setup with the 15 blade left cut, can't say i'm lagging at all. I will say I noticed a significant drop in RPM at cruising speeds and defiantly increased fuel mileage a bit.

Worth the trip and worth the price!!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by topshelf
Break in Period whats that? Actually the boosted launches were after about 200miles of driving... but being that Goerend dynos the tranny for about 30minutes... then me driving about 200miles... then asking Goerend if there is a break in period and the company Goerend who builds it tell me there isnt a break in period i would hope i am fine... appreciate the concern though... how do you like yours?
i like mine just fine, i got a diff convert, billet input, bd black flex plate.... dave told me take it easy the first tank of fuel. i have their shift enhancer too. im having trouble with my governor pressure sensor though, dave still is working on a fix i believe/hope. other than that, i love it
Old 05-22-2008, 03:14 PM

I have the same tranny although mine is mechanically controlled, so no shift inhancer. In fact, supposivly Dave and James Northum said I could run a zip tie holding the cable/pressure arm back for full pressure, and it is said to increase the pressure more than the elec controllers can do.

Mine is probably 2mo old and still feels the same as the day I got it put in. It sure is great isnt it? I got a tripple disc, but I didnt ask for the 15blade left cut one....but whatever I have it sure spools nicely and works great!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by BossHogg
I have the same tranny although mine is mechanically controlled, so no shift inhancer. In fact, supposivly Dave and James Northum said I could run a zip tie holding the cable/pressure arm back for full pressure, and it is said to increase the pressure more than the elec controllers can do.

Mine is probably 2mo old and still feels the same as the day I got it put in. It sure is great isnt it? I got a tripple disc, but I didnt ask for the 15blade left cut one....but whatever I have it sure spools nicely and works great!
yea i didnt get the 15 blade either and she still looks up pretty dang nice off the line. i put mine in probably 3 months ago and she still runs like the first day i threw it in there- great
Old 05-22-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2 weeks after I got mine done I told the wife I was mad as all, " I couldn't remember how bad the stock one was LOL to steadily make a comparison". I wanted to saver and bast in the newness as long as I could. Do I want a stock tranny back? NO!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:32 PM

I got the same converter as you, the 15 blade left cut and it made it a little laggier but like you said when you do a boosted launch wow! I love my Goerend
Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 PM

Got the 15 blade left cut too and I've been going back and forth trying to figure out if I want to switch to a different one, but after I've had it for a year, I have learned to drive around... If you want to fry someone, a small boosted launch and you will smoke em.

LOVE MY GOEREND.... Just need the diesel prices to drop (Hit $4.59 here in SA today) so I can actually drive my truck)
Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 PM

I would have to go with Reb on this one! I figured if he cold build a tranny to stand up behind his motor, he must definitely know what he is doing. LOL
Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 AM

[QUOTE=BossHogg;2091433]I have the same tranny although mine is mechanically controlled, so no shift inhancer. In fact, supposivly Dave and James Northum said I could run a zip tie holding the cable/pressure arm back for full pressure, and it is said to increase the pressure more than the elec controllers can do.
QUOTE]

Dave also told me to do that when I drag race to keep the line pressures up.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Reb.B
Hard to find a better company to deal with!
A lot better than the back yard builders that fill your tranny with saw dust & say it's fully built thank U $4000 Pls.
I did do a SW#9 4wheel boosted launch on my new tranny. lay'd 4 nice patches & she did wanna mosie to the left cause I fought her hard & when I returned to see my mark I saw 2 were straight & 2 were curved
Old 05-23-2008, 03:48 AM

How much would that exact tranny set me back. Also any suggestions on how to convince my wife on this one.

Quick Reply: Installed my new Goerend transmission