3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Installed muffler delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Installed muffler delete

I just got finished with the TEST DRIVE (Beer Run) after installing a muffler delete pipe on my 05. WOW!!! Sounds mean and suprisingly not too loud in the cab. I now know the top speed of the truck and the pipe made a very noticable power gain. I still have the cat so there is still some back pressure but man oh man what a ride. Now all I need is that edge A2. Kudos to Genos Garage!!!
Old 07-30-2005, 09:20 AM

I will probably order one in the next several weeks. Good to know it isn't too loud in the cab.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:57 AM

Very good to know, as Im thinking about doing that on mine.. Im also thinking about putting off gauges until I know a price on the Edge A2, but who knows...
Scott
Old 07-30-2005, 07:53 PM

I took the trashcan of a muffler off mine a couple months ago, and love it... Loud outside, fairly quiet inside when you're not hammering on it, helps keep temps low, and lets smoke roll out nicely. Only bad thing is at mid rpms on the highway, there's a slight resonance thing going on, which isn't loud, but it's on of those little things that get to you if that's how you are about a truck.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:14 AM

if you are really concerned with the noise in the cab,i wouldnt do it.i ran mine mufflerless for a couple of days and put it back on.it resonated badly in the cab empty,and when i pulled a trailor ,it was terrible.i would probably look for a resonator or aftermarket muffler to replace it with if noise is a concern....and i did still have my cat in place..............bama
Old 07-31-2005, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Installed muffler delete

Originally posted by txctd
I just got finished with the TEST DRIVE (Beer Run) after installing a muffler delete pipe on my 05. WOW!!! Sounds mean and suprisingly not too loud in the cab. I now know the top speed of the truck and the pipe made a very noticable power gain. I still have the cat so there is still some back pressure but man oh man what a ride. Now all I need is that edge A2. Kudos to Genos Garage!!!

Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide between straight piping with the cat or replacing the stock muff for a Donaldson or magnaflow or aeroturbine. By the way, very original screen name...LOL.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:59 PM

Mine was right on the verge of too loud until I put a turndown on it, wasn't bad except right @ 70 mph. With a load on it was LOUD at 70. Not bad at any speed now.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:10 PM

I get very little resonance at any speed. I put a tip on that sticks the exhaust out from the side an inch or two. I haven't pulled anything yet but with the muffler it talked back a little without the muffler I'm sure she will yell at me.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Banned

TexasCTD,

Check with the members here about our MBRP performance replacement muffler it's built form 409 stainless like the stock system is, has welded hangers that snap right into the stock rubber mounts and sounds very nice with a deep rumble when you have your foot in it.

There's 40 or 509 members ave bought if from us on this site so I am sure they will be gald to tell you what they think about it etc. If you need us call us and we will be glad to help you with any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 08-05-2005, 11:18 PM

I put the geno's on my 03 and its way too loud for me! pipe used one night then removed

Ad removed site violation
Old 08-06-2005, 07:54 PM

Does the 03's have a CAT? I think the CAT's started in 04.5 or 05. I think its muffling the sound a bunch on my truck.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:10 PM

I was thinking about cutting my muffler out, and getting 2 band clamps and some flexpipe and put it in the mufflers place...And when we go on long trips pull the flexpipe and put the muffler in its place and use the band clamps to seal it.

Sound like a possible idea?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:01 AM

I think putting hte muffler back would be more than a PITA then its worth. From what I hear, its hard to get the muffler on and off.
Scott
Old 08-07-2005, 01:36 AM

Flex pipe works great and it's only about 30 bucks at Napa . Had to put it on my truck when I installed my duals and the idiots sent me cat delete pipe for a Chevy !!!! 8000 miles and a trip to Florida and it's still on there ,j ust haven't had time to climb under there . Way cheaper than getting a delete pipe and not liking it !!!
Old 08-07-2005, 10:56 AM

Its not very simple to take the muffler on and off. Once you put the clamps on it crimps the outside pipe into the inside so the only way to remove it is by cutting. I saved my muffle in case it was too loud but I would have to take it to a muffler shop and have it welded back on because of how I had to remove it. My best advice would be to find someone running a muffler delete on your same year model truck and go hear it. From the previous post not all year models are created equal as far as the amount of sound. I'm happy with mine running the CAT only.

Quick Reply: Installed muffler delete