3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Installed Magnaflow muffler yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Installed Magnaflow muffler yesterday

Can anyone of you guys post a .wav file of what it sounds like?
Old 12-08-2003, 09:44 AM

Never mind, I found the sound on magnaflow's website here
http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/trucks.htm
Old 12-08-2003, 10:13 PM

That's sound of the 5.9L 360 V-8. The 5.9L CTD sounds a lot different. I don't have any way to record and post a .wav file.

I really hate to post this, but I may just take mine back in re-install the stock muffler. Mine sounds perfect when the engine is still warming up. Once it's fully warmed up, it doesn't sound so good to me. The exhaust noise becomes obtrusive in the cab. The floor vibrates with a buzz particularly around 1400rpm. It really reminds me of those little 4 banger imports with the boomer mufflers, in the cab anyway. On the outside, it sounds ok...like a big uncorked diesel.

I just loved this truck before I had this muffler put in, now I'm not so thrilled. Maybe it's the I-6 design. Personally, I think perfomance exhaust only sounds good on V-8, V-10, and V-12s. I guess that goes for diesels too...This is my first, so looks like a learning experience.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:43 AM

[quote author=MonkeyLips link=board=49;threadid=23300;start=15#msg220575 date=1070943229]

I really hate to post this, but I may just take mine back in re-install the stock muffler. Mine sounds perfect when the engine is still warming up. Once it's fully warmed up, it doesn't sound so good to me. The exhaust noise becomes obtrusive in the cab. The floor vibrates with a buzz particularly around 1400rpm. It really reminds me of those little 4 banger imports with the boomer mufflers, in the cab anyway. On the outside, it sounds ok...like a big uncorked diesel.

I just loved this truck before I had this muffler put in, now I'm not so thrilled. Maybe it's the I-6 design. Personally, I think perfomance exhaust only sounds good on V-8, V-10, and V-12s. I guess that goes for diesels too...This is my first, so looks like a learning experience.
[/quote]

On my 99, I originally had a Jardine exhaust with a 30" Magnaflow, the drone finally got to me, I got tired of my ears ringing after a long drive, and I put another 24" as far towards the front as possible. It was much more enjoyable!

On my new truck, I want to leave it stock. I don't want the noise or drone.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:40 AM

MonkeyLips are you sure your muffler isn't vibrating against something on the under side of your truck?? Mine sounds great. Not too loud unless I really get into it but even then it's very tolerable and not "Ricey". I have no drone, vibration, or anything.. I even let my wife drive it to see what it sounded like going down the road. I told her to drive it like she stole it! Unbelievably she did just what I asked. Man it sounded great especially with that turbo whistling so loud!! ;D

?????

Geets, come on by and I'll take you for a ride...
Old 12-09-2003, 08:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote author=Dodgezilla link=board=49;threadid=23300;start=15#msg220673 date=1070973636]
I even let my wife drive it to see what it sounded like going down the road. I told her to drive it like she stole it! Unbelievably she did just what I asked. Man it sounded great especially with that turbo whistling so loud!! ;D

[/quote]

I do the same thing about every 2 weeks just so I can hear it!

Mike
Old 12-09-2003, 10:46 AM

Ya, my wife thinks I'm retarded because I like to hear the monster going down the road.. She doesn't seem to think that all these things I've put on the truck are necessary either. She's really giving me a hard time about wanting 285s on it. "What's wrong with the tires on it now? It's a brand new truck!!" "It just would look better with the 285s. You'll see." :'( "Please? " :'(

She won't let me get them.. :'(
She probably won't even notice them once they're on. Shhh..
Old 12-09-2003, 06:12 PM

Location: Eagle, Idaho. Please set your watch back 20 years when entering.

Hey MonkeyLips-

What part of Eagle do you live in? I'm off of Floating Feather and Eagle Road.

100 Proof
Old 12-09-2003, 11:23 PM

[quote author=Dodgezilla link=board=49;threadid=23300;start=15#msg220673 date=1070973636]
MonkeyLips are you sure your muffler isn't vibrating against something on the under side of your truck?? Mine sounds great. Not too loud unless I really get into it but even then it's very tolerable and not "Ricey". I have no drone, vibration, or anything.. I even let my wife drive it to see what it sounded like going down the road. I told her to drive it like she stole it! Unbelievably she did just what I asked. Man it sounded great especially with that turbo whistling so loud!! ;D

?????

[/quote]

LOL! Unlike my wife, I'm glad that you have one who can follow direction ;D

From what I can see, there is plenty of clearance. Everything looks great. I wonder if my 5.9 H.O. is the difference here? Man, I can't take the drone and vibration another day! The stock muffler is going back in tomorrow.

To tell the truth, I haven't noticed much of an increase in power; not like I have with several V-8 gas rigs anyway. My turbo didn't seem to spool up any faster like I've heard some say it does. There very little increase in turbo whistle too or maybe I just can't hear it above the drone. I didn't see any improvement in MPG either. Oh well...it was worth a try! Again, I'll just have to chalk it up to a learning experience.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:27 PM

[quote author=100 Proof link=board=49;threadid=23300;start=15#msg221022 date=1071015120]
Hey MonkeyLips-

What part of Eagle do you live in? I'm off of Floating Feather and Eagle Road.

100 Proof
[/quote]

I'm off State near Ballentine in Pine Ridge...I like your signature (on the left) ;D
Old 12-10-2003, 06:43 AM

MonkeyLips,
If you look at my signature you will see that I removed my silencer ring and sound baffles and that is why the turbo whistle is louder......
Old 12-10-2003, 10:14 AM

[quote author=Dodgezilla link=board=49;threadid=23300;start=15#msg221280 date=1071060196]
MonkeyLips,
If you look at my signature you will see that I removed my silencer ring and sound baffles and that is why the turbo whistle is louder......
[/quote]

Ah...I see it! I like your comment at the end of your signature... "Must...not...spend...any...more...money...on ...bombs!!!!!" That bug is trying to bite me too Is that reminder helping at all?
Old 12-10-2003, 10:05 PM

Ahhhhhhhhh...the stock muffler is back in! With the True Flow foam air filter installed, it seems to run better & is quicker off the line than it was with the Magnaflow (w/ more turbo wistle too!). I never did tow with the Magnaflow, so I wouldn't know if performance is better under those conditions. I would guess it would be, but I still would keep the OEM system in tact. This thing has enough power already.

The owner of Boise Muffler jumped in and took it for a drive before the swap occured. He agreed...obnoxious in the cab. He said another customer had them install a 5" system on his '04 HO. The truck owner later reported no diff in MPG or power unloaded, but did notice a good improvement when loaded quite heavy. The down side was that it was even louder than mine was, but he didn't care. Everyone has a different ear, that's for sure.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:36 AM

MonkeyLips,

Let me answer your question this way: The comment at the end of my sig used to say

"Must....not....spend....any....money....on.. ..bombs"

I had to add the "more" after the first mod!

Once you start you can't stop........
Old 12-11-2003, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ain't that the truth!