3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

installed injectors, now noisy

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so today i checked over valves, and i am just under .020 on exhaust, and just under .010 on intake, never adjusted anything , cause they were all pretty much the same, torqued down the rocker bolt to spec, i think 27foot lbs.
started truck, it runs cold great, idle is smooth, rev it up, same thing, smooth, load it up, and a bit of rattle. so i took smarty to # 4, no timing, and i raised my fuel pressure to 15psi to feed the CP3. sounded the same idling. i drove it home, and as it gets up to temp, it gets the rattle under very light throttle, like taking off very slow, or moving up to a 4 way stop, that type of thing. under harder throttle it seems better, but i think there is still some noise, just harder to tell, cause the truck is noisy by nature. any guesses?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Are these the edge nozzles they were selling cheap on ebay?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well mine ARE the Edge Nozzles but I bought them awhile ago before they went cheap.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 PM

I put on a arson III kit and 75hp edge tips and i had a noise valve train, adjusted them adn unpluged my RP gauge adn it went away, but i have what i think is a misss once the truck warms up, i get a chance im going to pull the injectors back out and look at them, is it possible there is a bad seal?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:28 AM

yes mine are the edge tips, i also bought them along time ago.
i was wondering the same thing, i was talking to a guy tonight who listened to my truck, and he said it sounded mechanical, not timing. he said they installed injectors on a 2nd gen 24 valve truck, and it made noise, they found that the brass washer were a little thicker, they put different ones on and it went away.
i am pulling the injectors out to also check the tips, to make sure they are all firing, which i think they are cause it runs great, other then the noise, which almost sound like dieseling now more so then timing rattle.
i am also wondering it the feed tubes are sealing properly, or if i got so crud in the injector seating area. i guess i will try to pull them out and spray brake clean in each hole and re seat them. if that don't work, i might put the tips on my injectors that pulled out to see if the noise goes away.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a very similar setup that u do pullin. I have the II stage 3 and the smarty revo on level 4 with my tst powermax on level 2, rp 1, tm 2, adv 3 and prgrm tt05. I have the II 120 stix and I have the same light throttle ticking you have. Industrial just told me to remove the timing from when I had the smarty on Lvl 5 but it still ticks. I have come to just accept that bigger injectors and a modded pump ticks..
Old 05-06-2009, 08:31 AM

does it tick all the time? mine does, under load. it doesn't sound like it when your on it harder, but if you listen its still there. i really have a hard time driving it like that, ,knowing its ticking, or or what ever you want to call it, and not knowing if i am doing damage or not.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:42 PM

it ticks at idle and when I tip into it.. and when Im maintaining speed on the freeway.. tick disappears when i get into serious boost.. I been comtemplating going to the dodge dealer and having them do an efficency test on my injectors but I dunno if its worth spending the money.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 PM

funny, i just said that to one of my friends. i am going to do that.when i started this job, i used new injectors. i pulled everything out today, and went over every injector, to make sure everything is seating properly, and to make sure no dirt got into the injector holes, everything was clean, and i re cleaned everything again, i found nothing wrong. the noise is still there. i set the smarty on #7 with timing, and the tst is set with no timing. if i am idling in gear, its noisy, and if i add timing through the TST, it gets louder.it seems as though the noise is less as i get on it or load it up, but its really still there its just harder to hear it cause the truck gets louder.
so i will do a balance test to see if my new injectors are good or not, maybe a bad one, not un common with remans. i will do this before i reuse my old injectors.
btw, i belong to iron workers 736
Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 PM

if you are gonna have em tested let me know the results. I hope for both our sakes that they all pass because if they are noisy due to a bad injector im gonna be shelling out some cash.. lol Mine get louder when I add timing through the tst too. Well its good to meet you brother.. My brother, brother in law, dad and I are all 433 hands.. My dad is the BA here in Vegas.
Work is sloooow though.. but back on to topic.. keep me posted and if i get into a dealer this week ill let you know what I find out..
Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 PM

i am going to try first thing tomorrow morning, i would think that mine should be good, even for remans, i only have maybe 200kms on them about 1/4 tank.
its just too noisy for my liking, if they check out, i'm going to pull them.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:51 AM

One morning I started my truck and it did exactly what yours is doing, rattle just above idle then goes away at cruise. I by passed the TST and it went away. Took the by pass out and it comes back. Gotta a prob with the TST for sure. With that prob I always get a 0336 code but I have and many others have been getting the 0336 for a year now every once in a while. TST says they think they have cured the problem with their latest upgrades.

Try the by pass. Or at least shut the TST down to 0. I agree with others about bigger sticks create more timing but shouldn't be such a problem like you have.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:41 AM

i tried the TST on 0/0 and no timing, which it is set at right now, and with timing, smarty in #7,6,4,edge stays at #1 always, i never change it.
i don't think its the TST, but i will take your advice and by pass it anyway.
it does't do it un less in gear or under load, idle in part and its is super fine, smooth and quiet.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:56 PM

I have been fighting this same thing in my '03. Just a slight tick at idle and somewhat louder at mild pedal. Under load, or above 8-10lbs of boost it seems fine. The TST is definently part of it, turned the timing off and it almost went away.

My injectors are new stockers. My old ones were shot and they didn't make this ticking noise. It started after installing the new stixs. I have done several injector swaps and never had this problem, go figure it would be my truck.

By retracing my steps over and over I have come up with only 2 possible answers:
1- The injectors need balanced.
2- The crossover tubes need replaced.

The tubes are somewhat cheap and I will most likly try that first. Cummins says to replace them with new injectors, but I have never had a problem reusing the old ones.

We will see,

J.D.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:26 AM

you mean the feed tubes???
i have taken mine apart, and re checked everything, cleaned it twice, and installed. same thing. once warm its noisy. today i took all smarty out and back to stock, still made the noise, not as bad. i have the TST timing off.if i add more timing its worse. so i visit the dealer today, great diesel guy there, very helpful with the scan tool, went for a drive, and cancelled out each injector one at a time, nothing chaged, still the noise continues. you get a slight miss each time you cancel one injector, so i know they are working, they said they can't do a balance test with an 03, the newer truck they can. so i am down to the injectors are noisy on my truck anyway.i noticed tonight playing around, that my rail psi is not as high as it usually is, i am guessing due to larger injectors.i am going to a dyno day this sat, will run it a couple times to see what kind of numbers i can get. my setting have changed since the larger tips, cause it doesn't seem to be as fast. TST is still set at early twins, and i play between 3/2 and 2/0, with smarty on 6.edge still at one. i wonder if i change edge to setting 2, alittle more pressure might be better??

Quick Reply: installed injectors, now noisy