3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

installed injectors, now noisy

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installed injectors, now noisy

i just put in new injectors with stage 3 tips, 100hp, had a bit of trouble starting the truck, found a cracked line on number six, got a replacement, tried to start it again after replacing, found a couple more leaks, not sure why, removed and cleaned the lines into the rail, and no more leaks, started truck, ran lumpy for about 30 sec to a minute, died a couple times, i think from air in the system. so now it runs, and runs great, or seems to, took it for a drive, and i seem to get a timing rattle under load, if i idle in park, not noise, if i rev it a bit a little, if i put into gear, and load it up with foot on the brake, it rattles. i am stumped. what has gone wrong, or where did i screw up? i have had this thing apart about 10 times, the bolts don't have time to cool off before it comes apart again. i am not sure what to expect.
do bigger stix make more noise???
are my valves not adjusted right causing the noise?
do i have a faulty injector? how do i check it?
i drove it and it runs fine, makes power, but with rattle which seems to go away when cruising or when you let off.
any help please.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:30 PM

i will also add that i run around 10psi on the lift pump, to the CP3, which is a stag 3 from II.
thats what they told me to run, but i had stock injectors at that time.
do i need to up the lift pump pressure?
my stock injectors that came out of my truck were really clean, and perfect working, with almost 400,000kms, no crud on the tips, just stained black.
smarty was on catcher 6, TST on 2/0, edge on 1
Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 PM

did u do valve set right?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 AM

thats what i am asking, i am going to go over them tomorrow.i check the first couple and they were within spec, so i didn't bother with the rest. maybe its more important to have them adjusted just right with larger injectors??
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 AM

I put stage 3's on also and i'm getting the same noise and there were some other guys on another forum.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 AM

All the valves need readjusted after removing the rocker arms.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:52 AM

thanks for the posts. i figured there were going to be more then just that.
i figured it might be a little more noisy, but not like it is
i know what valve noisy sounds like in a gas engine, and this doesn't sound like it. it sounds like a timing rattle, like when you got the fueling boxes turn way up.i figured that if the valves were off, it would do it all the time, at idle and as rpm goes up.i am going to try and raise feed pump pressure to 15psi, and check valves, and take the programming out to see what it does.
can anybody else confirm if their larger stix cause a bit of noise and this is normal ?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 AM

Bigger stix add more timing
Old 05-05-2009, 10:24 AM

bigger stix i need to add more timing, or thats what they do by nature????
so you think i need to adjust valves and my noise will go away or quiet up??
i just don't understand how it ran fine and not noisy before, and never changed anything with the valves, just one bolt that holds the rocker on.nothing changes. but i am all ears. i did this job myself cause i want to learn, i want to know how things work.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 03-04 engines should be making less noise after installing nozzles, not more. It should purr.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 AM

Don't know what smarty program your running but the tst adds timing. I ran flux 2's for a while with the old smarty 4.09 tune and the tst and never had much timing rattle. The bigger stix add timing but i wouldn't think it would be as bad as you say it is.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 AM

Didn't even realize you had a 03
Old 05-05-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just put new nozzles in my '03 and have the same problem. Rattle on light acceleration only but goes away on hard acceleration. Occaisoanly I also get a surge on light acceleration as well. I thought maybe it was because I put HO injectors into an SO engine.

I've been told by some that '03 SO and HO engines use different piston crowns and thus have different spray patterns on the injectors. Other people tell me they are the same pistons/injectors.

Please post up if you figure it out, I'm considering pulling these back out...

Would a leaky/faulty injector cause a rattle? Idle is fine....
Old 05-05-2009, 10:58 AM

thanks guys, i am going now to do a once over the valves and hope for the best. i don't know how to tell if one injector is bad or what, so i guess this is the last kick at the cat.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:14 AM

Don M, can you pm me, i was wondering what you would charge me to have a look at my old tips.i am very curious to see what they look like up close, at almost 400,000kms.

Quick Reply: installed injectors, now noisy