3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Installed the BD Auxiliary Lift Pump Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dodgezilla04, Sorry if I got you upset. But are you sure The aux. pump won't pump fuel through a broken stock pump. I was told different. I was told the stock pump had collapsible fins and won't be a problem, if broken pumping fuel through it.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Banned

the factory in tank pumps seem to have a really good track record. the failure rate isnt even close to the filter mounted ones. you can use the bd, a holley, the walbro, or glacier pumps with the intank setup. just if the factory pump fails, you are stuck regardless of the brand of kit you use.

i think when you install any off the aftermarket sets, you can get a new pick up for the tank, that allows you to remove you intank pump completely.

i removed my filter pump to improve my reliability, it just so happens that the bd pump keeps up with my current fuel demand. i am not trying to sell you on a bd, that is just where my experience lies. the glaciers are really slick and reliable, if my bd dies, i will go with one of those.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
the 05/06's are in the tank. the bd pump cannot feed that pump, the factory lp is in the way. this discussion was about the bd pump supplying fuel to the factory lp, increasing its life and pumping capacity, or about deleting the filter mounted pump completely.

if a filter mounted(03,04) pump fails, the bd pump cant push fuel through it, you are still DIW. if a tank mounted pump fails(05,06) the bd pump cannot suck fuel through is, you are also DIW.

if you are adding a bd kit, get the one that removes the filter mounted pump. you will be happier with the reliability you gain.
Yeah, like you said before itll just block it off if the factory pump fails on the 03/04s, I was just stating that for others that didnt know the years had differnet pump locations....
Old 01-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

ahhh, i see grasshopper, thank you for clearing that up for me
Old 01-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlCorr
dodgezilla04, Sorry if I got you upset. But are you sure The aux. pump won't pump fuel through a broken stock pump. I was told different. I was told the stock pump had collapsible fins and won't be a problem, if broken pumping fuel through it.
i never get upset.
never heard of the collapsible fins. wish i hadnt driven over mine and took it apart. interesting.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
ahhh, i see grasshopper, thank you for clearing that up for me
Heck, I never noticed till someone pointed it out to me when I asked them how they didnt have to drop their tank to install their new fuel pump

I thought everyone had to drop their tank, since I will....
Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 PM

i never get upset.
never heard of the collapsible fins. wish i hadn't driven over mine and took it apart. interesting.

Someone told me that they rebuilt a stock filter mount pump and that the impeller, fins opened up with centrifugal force when the pump is turned on and when the pump is turned off (or craps the bed) the fin collapse again. And if you put a pump behind it, the fuel pressure from the 2nd pump will push the collapsible fins open with no problem. I may be wrong, but this is what I was told. ( If this isn't true, then I'm f----d) I would have never wasted my time or money going with one.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Banned

cool, that is more info than i have, so hats off to you al.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:07 PM

just did a test to get the facts,started my truck waited for the bd pump to kick on then unpluged the oem pump and guess what the truck still runs my pressure dropped down to 11psi at idle but it ran fine,only problem is you still need the oem pump at start up .
Old 01-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

thanks rich, so the consensus is we can still drive home or to the dealer if the factory lp dies(filter mounted) as long as we dont shut it down and have a gauge to tell us it has failed. cool.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:44 AM

in the event of an emergency you could unplug the oil press. switch plug and put a jumper wire across the plug then the pump should work for start up.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:52 AM

Thanks Rich, that is some good info. A easy fix in a bind would be, leave it connected to oil pressure switch. Only thing you need to do is run one hot wire off battery to + on pump, with a switch and turn the switch on for a few seconds at start up. then turn off. (This would only be to get me home, NOT TO DEALER) Also could use jumper cables from battery to + on pump for a second or two, just to build a little pressure. I'm wondering if you unplugged the stock pump and tried to start, if it would. Anyway, a lot of good info here without getting into a edited by admin contest. I like it.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-12-2007 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Profanity
Old 01-04-2007, 09:53 AM

I installed an in-tank pump in my 99 and have the BD kit in front of this pump. It works great!
Old 01-04-2007, 08:51 PM

no problem guys now atleast we know for sure,and don't have to sweat being stranded along the road because our oem pump died
Old 01-16-2007, 12:29 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\al.IFC\Desktop\LP.pdf

Quick Reply: Installed the BD Auxiliary Lift Pump Kit