3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Install Help w/ Westach Combo Guage

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Install Help w/ Westach Combo Guage

I've ordered the SRT-10 A-pillar and combo guage from Geno's and have a few questions about the install before they arrive. Does anybody have a good picture of where they went through the firewall or could explain it to me in dummy terms how they did it! Also, I want the guage to work with the dimmer switch. What wire/s do I need to tap to accomplish this on an '04.5? Thanks! JB
Old 04-22-2005, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
JB,
There is a rubber plug up under the dash near the pedals. That's a good place to run the boost hose and wiring.
I can't help you on the dimmer switching wiring since DC changed the dimmer wiring color between the '03 to the '04 models. I believe it was orange at one time. I tapped power and ground from the electric brake circuit.
The instructions from Geno's is good but the ones from Westach is somewhat hard to understand. Read it four or five times and hopefully it will start making sense.
Also tie wrap the boost line to both the boost bolt and at the back of the gauge. Not doing so will cause the lines to pop off under full boost. I found out the hard way.
BTW, where are you located?

MikeyB
Old 04-22-2005, 08:26 AM

Thanks MikeyB,

I haven't read that about blowing the line off at full boost. I'll be sure to do that! The only plug I can see is where the main wiring harness comes through the firewall. Is this the one you are referring to? Does the whole plug pull out? I live in Granbury. My nephew is going to college in Stephenville and said he would help me but I would like to have it done as soon as it comes in Monday(impatient). I don't post alot obviously because I can usually find what I'm looking for through searches but I've come up blank on these questions. The best I can tell is the dimmer switch for the '04.5 models was a orange wire with a black tracer but I was wanting to confirm this. Also, how do I get to the dimmer switch? Thanks, JB
Old 04-22-2005, 09:57 AM

Brown wire with a orange stripe. USe a volt meter to see which one of the two is the correct one. The voltage should change when you dim the interior lights.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:52 AM

There should be more than one plug. Since you have a auto there's a blank plug for the clutch assembly. Would be just left of the brake pedal.
To access the lighting control wiring the light switch housing can be remove. Reach up under the dash to release the locking tabs on the switch housing. Should be able to pull the housing foward to access the wiring.

MikeyB
Old 04-22-2005, 10:13 PM

Thanks Guys!

I saw the plug for the clutch assembly but it seemed to be pretty hard. Is this what everyone with an auto goes through for gauges and such? Do you have to drill through this or cut or what? I want it to look factory installed, so I really don't want to screw it up! I think I have my ducks in a row on everything else besides going through the firewall. Thanks, JB
Old 04-23-2005, 04:31 PM

I used a sharp knife to punch a hole through both sides of the plug.

MikeyB
Old 04-24-2005, 11:46 AM

Just drill a small hole in the Clutch plug and run your wires and tubing through it. When you are done and it works just take a little bit of clear RVT and seal up the hole.

I don't see the need for any tie straps for the boost tubing, I don't have it and have not blown off either end of my boost tubing from the boost bolt or the back of the gauge.

Now I do have the boost tubing tie wrapped to the harness to keep the tubing out of the way but that would not having anything to do with the boost tube being blown out.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:50 PM

A few of us with the Westach did blow the line off the fittings. After the second time I tie wrapped the rubber hose to the fittings. Haven't blown off since. Just removing one more variable for JB.
There's nothing like pulling 20psi towing and having to listen to the open boost line inside the cab for 100 miles.

MikeyB