3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

input on super phat shaft 66

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
input on super phat shaft 66

wonterin what yal thought about the super phat shaft 66 for my
03, edge aditude fass, meth, few other things
i plan on puttin injectors in but not now
what yal think
Old 08-29-2006, 07:21 AM

Ummmm

Originally Posted by griggs43
wonterin what yal thought about the super phat shaft 66 for my
03, edge aditude fass, meth, few other things
i plan on puttin injectors in but not now
what yal think
If it is a daily driver its street manners may be a little quirky such that you will have to learn to drive around the initial lag. Once you are moving it should come on like gang busters.

L8r,...............dogger
Old 08-29-2006, 09:37 AM

this is the turbo these trucks should roll off the assembly line with. I love my sledpuller everyday!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Banned

Ya I really like mine, I don't mind it around town because it dosen't spool at all so it is really easy to drive. Also I tow 20,000 pounds and don't have any problems with surging, now I am sure a few guys will chime in and call me a liar in a roundabout way but I guess I am the chosen one ya like the modern mesia or something. When it does spool it is quick, smooth, and hard.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has been on over a year now. I am happy with it. You learn to drive around the lag in the city, or add a little pressure if you want. It does not spool as fast as stock, but I don't even notice any lag now that I have learned to roll into the throttle a little different. Don't tow heavy, so don't know about that but I do not have any surging issues. And the good thing is at the track goes straight to 55psi and holds the wastegate open a little for most of the 1/4 mile.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
Mine has been on over a year now. I am happy with it. You learn to drive around the lag in the city, or add a little pressure if you want. It does not spool as fast as stock, but I don't even notice any lag now that I have learned to roll into the throttle a little different. Don't tow heavy, so don't know about that but I do not have any surging issues. And the good thing is at the track goes straight to 55psi and holds the wastegate open a little for most of the 1/4 mile.

Couldn't describe it any better. On my truck the downloader works wonders getting it spooled up. The lag is good when there is a hemi tailgating you with the windows down
Old 08-29-2006, 12:06 PM

If I had an auto, I'm sure I'd be happy with my SPS66. Being that I live in a congested area and have a NV5600, I really don't like my 66 at all. The only thing that gets it spooling quick enough for me is the Smarty downloader. The EZ or Ramifier help quite a bit, but nothing like the downloader.

The only drawback to the downloader is that you smoke people out on a regular basis, especially on a hot day.

Additionally if I let the revs get to 1600 when towing (too lazy to downshift, I guess) it will most definitely surge.

I've got a SPS62 sitting right next to me that I'm about to swap in. I don't mind losing 30-40 hp on the dyno to gain some drivability.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:31 PM
wap

Jc

I thought that manuals made big turbos more drivable. (this is just what i have been told, no experience with a big turbo) How is an auto better with a big turbo in your opinion?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:13 PM

Would a sps66 work good with just the edge juice.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:42 PM

It will work great with Juice/Attitude and an EZ stacked. And for more real fun upgrade to HOT Juice. EZ(a little pressure) helps eliminate lag normal driving.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by wap
I thought that manuals made big turbos more drivable. (this is just what i have been told, no experience with a big turbo) How is an auto better with a big turbo in your opinion?
There are a few reasons that come to mind...

-Autos can be spooled at "the line" whereas it's difficult with a manual if not altogether impossible.

-When accelerating hard, I lose almost all boost between shifts, and the 66 takes long to spool. Lots of time lost there. An auto with a 66 (or any turbo, for that matter) will build boost and hold it at the wastegate until you let off.

-Driving around, the 66 doesn't light until about 11-12psi. It can be frustrating smoking people out taking off from a stop, and on each subsequent shift, especially when towing.

-Once it does build boost, sometimes it spools so fast it's hard to control. Again, especially when towing.

It sounds like I'm complaining, but it's really more that I do not use it for its intended purpose. If I lived in a rural area, I would not care. I need a faster spooling turbo for running around in an area infested with hippies driving Priuses with 1-800-EXHAUST programmed into their cell phones. The 66 class turbos make the power, but they're not for me.

When people talk about manuals being "better" with a 66 class turbo, I believe they're talking about surging. With a manual, you can choose to avoid that rpm-range in which a 66 is susceptible to surging. On my particular truck, it's from 1500-1800rpm under a heavy load. I drive around it. With an auto you sometimes do not have a choice but to be in that rpm range, so you get some surging. Some trucks I have been told will not surge at all. I guess it's the luck of the draw. My truck will not surge whatsoever when unloaded.

A turbo like the SPS62 will light at about 4-5psi, and it has less rotating mass so that adds to the turbo spooling quickly. Less smoke, and it's also supposed to not surge at all, loaded or not.

These are a few reasons for me suggesting a smaller turbo, but I'm sure there are far more experienced diesel-heads that may disagree with my assessment of the larger singles.

Last edited by JCLeary; 08-30-2006 at 12:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-30-2006, 06:21 AM
wap

It makes complete sense to me. I think your right about the manuals and surging or towing in general. That is what I was thinking of but I thought they would spool faster too in daily driving. I am gettin a 62 class turbo (at least to start out with) so I dont have to worry about the probs assiated with the bigger turbos. Thanks for the detailed response
Old 09-05-2006, 07:15 PM

so...

the edge jus combo on my truck and that sps66 what should i be expecting
Old 09-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Banned

I don't own one but I though I might throw this out there.

Has anybody thought that the SPS66 work better on 04.5+ models?

Spool up or overall performance may be better on the 04.5+ then on the 03-04 models. I know for a fact the 04.5+ respond better to mods.

Like JCLeary said it does lag on his 03 but others say spool is almost stock on ther 04.5+

Maybe SPS62 for 03-04 and SPS66 for 04.5+

Just a thought
Old 09-07-2006, 02:55 AM

Well I'm not sure what turbo I'm gonna replace my stocker with when it lets go, or gets close.

I have 37" tires and 3.73s. I do plan on going to 35s, but that's not saying I won't ever put 37s back on.

The truck has an auto with a converter, vb, flex plate and pan.

I have the edje j/a and mp-8 stack.

I hate smoking ppl. out but its hard not to with the edge on level 5. Truck feels great driving on level 5, but the stock turbo is working.

I can't really afford too much more lag, but do need a bit more power and better EGTs I guess.

What kind of turbo should I be looking at? I know twins would probably be the way to go, but probably out of my price range to say the least.

Thanks,

Igor.

Quick Reply: input on super phat shaft 66