3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

injectors-better economy & performance? - How?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injectors-better economy & performance? - How?

Hello. If performance injectors have bigger holes, how is milaege increased? Is it from less throttle needed for acceleration or something?
Thanx.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by jmccart
Hello. If performance injectors have bigger holes, how is milaege increased? Is it from less throttle needed for acceleration or something?
Thanx.
It has to do with spray patterns and better atomization of the fuel. However, if you are like me, they will never give you better mileage because you will always be playing with the extra power they provide.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by omaharam
However, if you are like me, they will never give you better mileage because you will always be playing with the extra power they provide.

I'll second that. I used to say to myself "I'm going to drive easy on this tank so I can get some mileage"... Pull out of the truck stop, next to another diesel... Green light, $5 dollars down the tube. It's a never ending cycle.

Lucas
Old 02-04-2007, 12:43 PM

But of course if your like me, you will see an increase in mileage. The stockers were plagued with carbon, performance, mileage were affected. With the F1's, even being buried in it all the time, mileage and power was increased.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:47 PM

I was joking... I still have the stockers in my truck so I wouldn't know.

A set of Flux 1's from F1 diesel would set you up!
Old 02-04-2007, 01:26 PM

I have an idea that Dodge went to Cummins for the eng. but told Cummins that they wanted the eng. detuned in order not to tear out the drivetrain rite away , to the eng. is opperating below its peak effcientcy , so adding more fuel , HPs , air , ect.
So if you drive resonable & add a little more fuel you may get 1.5-2 mpg .
Old 02-04-2007, 02:10 PM

Thanx for sharing the info. guys. Spray patterns & atomization. Gotcha. I guess the stockers are not that great then. With my last truck, the superchips was supposed to add power & milaege. All it did was make me real happy & foot heavy. It never got a chance to get better milaege. Thanx guys.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:06 PM

Under identical normal driving conditions - with bigger injectors you are also injecting the same amount of fuel in a less period of time (duration). That in effect is like advancing your injection timing, which is known to increase mileage as well as performance on our 3rd gens. If the bigger injector is also customized for the advanced timing in terms of spray pattern then all the better. Also, add a bit of rail pressure with the bigger injectors earlier than stock ECM programming to help the atomization out too.