3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

injector info

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injector info

I am wanting to have my injectors done and am pretty set on having Don M do them. I'm interested in the 40hp model and hoping it will be a nice compliment to my garrett stage 2 bb turbo. Is it the opinion of you more knowledgeable guys that this is the right ones and do I need to budget for anything else to go with them? I know this question has probably been asked many times but I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks
Old 01-27-2014, 03:54 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Why, are they giving you issues? 40hp is a waste of time and money. If your injectors are giving you issues that's one thing, but spending a lot of money for a 40hp injector is a waste of time and money in my book.

Better tuning since you have an 06, and don't waste your time on anything less than 100hp sticks. If you don't have the supporting mods just wait and don't do injectors, they aren't worth the money till the 100 hp+ range.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
Why, are they giving you issues? 40hp is a waste of time and money. If your injectors are giving you issues that's one thing, but spending a lot of money for a 40hp injector is a waste of time and money in my book.

Better tuning since you have an 06, and don't waste your time on anything less than 100hp sticks. If you don't have the supporting mods just wait and don't do injectors, they aren't worth the money till the 100 hp+ range.
As a matter of fact, I don't exactly like the way it's running. While I'm the first to admit I'm far from a mechanic, I don't like the way when I start it, the lope it seems to have. Does like a gasser with a performance cam in it and you can see the whole truck shaking. It does tend to have a bit of a rough idle and I can see the tach needle moving. I was looking for something that would smooth it out and probably help in the fuel department. But, if it is your opinion that I should look at going to the 100 horse sticks, that lets me know that a transmissions would be the first thing I need to do since I doubt the 48re is going to last very long with those sticks. Having an honest 500 on the ground is appealing.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would not get 100 horse stix. And your new turbo is not a 500hp turbo.

By all means send your stix to Don if they need a refresh.

I will have to agree that tuning the truck to higher HP should come first, but if you need to get your stix repaired anyway, while they are out and sending to Don, why not?

I am of the opinion that tuning alone can take care of everything you can utilize on stock parts. The smarty jr is designed to do just that and give up to 100hp. You don't need anything more than that unless you are going to start bombing and then you need more than just a transmission.

So... once again, if your stix are tired and need a refresh and Don is your man, by all means go for it.

Whether you want/need 40hp stix is a personal choice; you don't need them and programming alone will more than make the extra power you can handle on the parts you have.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:13 PM

Soul, you are referring to the one on the dtr store for $495? Also, do think I should uninstall the quadzilla and use the smarty alone? Thanks for your info.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:09 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by 223 rules
Soul, you are referring to the one on the dtr store for $495? Also, do think I should uninstall the quadzilla and use the smarty alone? Thanks for your info.
Yes, I am referring to the smarty jr on the DTR store.

I would use the smarty alone as it can do everything you need it to... again the qualifier being that everything else is stock.

That opinion is unrelated to your injector issue though. If you are having injector issues, then have them refurbished or replaced. And if you have Don M. refurbish them and choose to put 40 hp tips on too, then that is a personal choice, but IMO unnessesary.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
Yes, I am referring to the smarty jr on the DTR store.

I would use the smarty alone as it can do everything you need it to... again the qualifier being that everything else is stock.

That opinion is unrelated to your injector issue though. If you are having injector issues, then have them refurbished or replaced. And if you have Don M. refurbish them and choose to put 40 hp tips on too, then that is a personal choice, but IMO unnessesary.
Everything else is stock except the garrett stage 2 turbo. When the second factory turbo was going out the dealership was going to give me the "great" deal of splitting the cost of another stock turbo. I went to Tom at turbo resource for the garrett which wasn't but a few hundred more than what my half of the stock one was going to be. Tom asked me if I had any use for the one it replaced and wound up buying it from me. Told me it was a refurb that had eaten a rock (not when I had it). But other than the turbo and exhaust, everything else is bone stock. I will get the smarty ordered today.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:03 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Tom is a great guy. I do business with him.

I am sure you are enjoying that turbo.

Just remember the smarty will not cure fuel delivery issues if that is what is causing your lope that you describe. However, it could very well be the quadzilla doing the loping and the smarty will cure that (provided you disconnect the quad)

I would disconnect the quad now and see how it runs with the stock programming. If it still runs bad, then you still have a fuel issue of some sort that will need to be addressed.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:26 PM

Got the quadzilla out on Friday and it may all be in my head but it seems like the truck is running smoother and I really can't tell any loss of power from it. I tended to keep it on the 60hp setting.

I'm waiting on the smarty to come in. For some reason the post office decided to deliver it to El Dorado, Kansas instead of Arkansas.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 PM

Received the smarty this morning and got the truck programmed to sw3. There is a marked difference in the way it runs with the smarty jr. compared to the quadzilla. Real happy with the way the truck is running.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:14 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Good to hear, good luck!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 PM

I hadn't started the truck since Monday evening when I programmed it so this was the first cold morning I started it on. It didn't blow out the puff of white smoke it usually would when started on a cold morning and it did none of the "camming" it was doing with the quad box.