3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I'm getting ready to go from a 62mm to 66mm help me out

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwitt0187
dan how much hp have you seen out of your truck?
The jury is still out on that . I had two runs on a dyno at a local college and it broke(not sure what happened) The first reading said 470 and 1600 and change on tq. The second read came back at over 1000 no reading on tq. Both times his program came back and said some kind of error had happened. The guy running it had just taken over the program. He didnt know a whole lot about it. I didnt know anything about it or how it was suppossed to be used. One of the other profs. said he hadnt seen it used in two years. So i cant be sure right now Some guys who have helped me build it say high 700's low 800's. Im hoping it dials in around 700. I hope that 700 isnt wishful thinking. But if I set my hopes to high I can always shoot for more this winter.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Wow...big single bashers!

I happened to love my 100k on my A5k..far bigger than any 66.

But...maybe I am just nuts.
its still alive my friend, alive and well I wish it could talk and tell us stories
Old 09-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Banned

mines not bad w/ a stick.......

course its got an even bigger wheel 66/74/1.0 a/r

oh, and no wastegate! and no surge. ive towed about 15k no heat issue aslong as rolled into ...
Old 09-07-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
... and that's the big difference - so much easier to drive around a 66's lag with a stick... but I also recommend keeping your 62 and rolling the 66 fund over into a primary!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Beat ya to it Danny. We got the prostreet 66 on Danny's truck today and it does very well, driveable and good kick in the pants when you nail it, I think he is very happy with the turbo, now we got to get him some more fuel. Jay
Old 09-07-2008, 08:31 PM

jay is correct the turbo spools almost as fast as the 62 i took off i love the 66 cant wait to dyno this coming weekend ill update with numbers next weekend

danny
Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
With the right injectors, you can make a lot of that lag go away...

I'd really like to know how this thinking came to be...

I've read a lot on the thermodynamics and physics on how engines operate, including turbos-- and I simply can't see how "right" injectors can make lag go away?

Could someone explain it to me?

Thanks.

Justin
Old 09-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HOHN

I've read a lot on the thermodynamics and physics on how engines operate, including turbos-- and I simply can't see how "right" injectors can make lag go away?

Thanks.

Justin
I'm curios as well. I always new that the more fuel you throw at the cylinders the more the fire is put out until you have more oxygen(Air). My turbo always spool better on lower# SW's, not on # 9
Old 09-08-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a number of factors which influence drive HP available to the compressor from the turbine.

During heavy fueling, partial combustion can continue past the exhaust valve into the manifold & turbine, where of course the heat energy can be used.

The old(er) Formula & Rally cars used a no-lag system that injected raw fuel into the exhaust manifold to keep the compressor spooled during turns and other throttle-lifting conditions... worked VERY well, but as you can imagine was pretty hard on the turbo. Ever see those things smoking (exhaust, not tires) at the apex?

There has been a bunch of other substances injected into the pre-turbo exhaust with a variety of results.

On our CTDs, opening the exhaust valve sooner (or, to a smaller effect, closing it later) helps to drive the turbine harder for the same reason.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Large huffer

It is easier to drive around the turbo lag with a manual transmission than an auto. The ECM is not controlling the manual tranny at all, the driver is. You will probably find that the guys that are happy with the larger huffers are driving manuals not autos.

L8r,.........dogger
Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
There are a number of factors which influence drive HP available to the compressor from the turbine.

During heavy fueling, partial combustion can continue past the exhaust valve into the manifold & turbine, where of course the heat energy can be used.

The old(er) Formula & Rally cars used a no-lag system that injected raw fuel into the exhaust manifold to keep the compressor spooled during turns and other throttle-lifting conditions... worked VERY well, but as you can imagine was pretty hard on the turbo. Ever see those things smoking (exhaust, not tires) at the apex?

There has been a bunch of other substances injected into the pre-turbo exhaust with a variety of results.

On our CTDs, opening the exhaust valve sooner (or, to a smaller effect, closing it later) helps to drive the turbine harder for the same reason.
I think most of those Rally cars are gasoline, not diesel. Thus, their EGT is much higher, and injecting fuel into the exhaust will work better because the hotter temps ignite it better.

That said, the same scheme should work well in a diesel provided that the turbine outlet temp is above the autoignition temp of diesel fuel (about 480F)

Justin
Old 09-09-2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN

Thanks.

Justin
well its pretty simple. when you have alot more turbo than you have fuel it just takes forever for it to spool. like if you put an S400 as a single turbo on a stock truck it would never light up or spool up. guys say oh you would never light that bla bla well guys run huge single turbos with the right amount of fuel and it does light up. from personal experience bigger injectors did help my truck with the turbo I run. it went from about 490hp on the dyno to 676hp also. it all depends on what you are shooting for. I just listen to people that know what they are doing and go with that mainly
Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 AM

i think my fuel and air is pretty good now all i need is my twin pumps and the truck should be in pretty good shape that 66 drives around just like my 62 did except for when driving down a flat straight road with no load im at about 3lbs of boost instead of 8 or 10 lbs everything else feels the same so im happy with the change for sure and wouldnt go back to the 62 for sure i love the way the big single hits on the top end

danny
Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 AM

HOHN does really know what he is talking about...anyone remember what he does for a living? LOL.

On the point of overfueling large singles...I think some of the post TDC stuff does really help. My A5k loved as much fuel down low as possible. It was a smokey mess...but the spool time kept decreasing with more fuel.

My twins...not so. The right amount...not to little...not to much works best.

I think there is always the right amount...
Old 09-10-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
HOHN does really know what he is talking about...anyone remember what he does for a living? LOL.

On the point of overfueling large singles...I think some of the post TDC stuff does really help. My A5k loved as much fuel down low as possible. It was a smokey mess...but the spool time kept decreasing with more fuel.

My twins...not so. The right amount...not to little...not to much works best.

I think there is always the right amount...
Good to know since I'm still tring to decide on what size fluxes to run with my A5K when I get it on.

Quick Reply: I'm getting ready to go from a 62mm to 66mm help me out