3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I'm embarrassed to ask (a newb intake question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face I'm embarrassed to ask (a newb intake question)

I really don't like intakes. My WS6 Trans Am didn't need one (Ram Air) and made over 500whp s/c'd but the few I have "needed" were nothing but trouble for me (sucking water in a fender-well mounted intake was my favorite). I even had to put a stock airbox on my 02' wrx to get it tuned and its tiny 2.0l motor was making over 300whp with the oem airbox back in with a drop in filte (got to pay subaru 600 for the privilege as I threw away the original and the car was so new at the time shops didn't have em around). Any way heres the question...My local DTR buddies (BOSSHOGG) have clowned me to the point that I might as well take advantage of all these sales. So which one for me. Do I need/want one? tq/tube?Stage1 or Stage 2. Quad? AFE? How about the beautiful volant that nobody seems to have or know about. I always thought volant was overpriced jewelry in the gasser world but their kit is more than half off and it is...well...very pretty. I plan on running my Jr. till I brake my tranny (months not years) and then getting a built one from Dave. I will run upgrade back to a Sr.,90hp injectors with the supporting mods and that 62/71/13ss planning on making about 550-600. Thanks for your help/opinions and please if you are reading this and know about that purdy Volant chime in
Old 10-23-2008, 05:15 PM

i really like my AFE makes the turbo sound awesome,
Old 10-23-2008, 05:53 PM

I had a volant filter and it emploded like a pop can...swaped for an AFE and it looks perfect. My vote is AFE all the, had them on alot of trucks and never a problem.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Afe or S&B. they both made comparable power on my truck and both have awesome filtration (dynos are on my site). S&Bs are $269 everywhere, so it should be pretty close between that and the Afe.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:08 PM

I have had both the AFE(Stg 1) and I currently have the Volant not much differance between the two as far as performance. I just did not want the hot under hood air going in to the intake. I have pic's in the members photo's of the tube I added to the underside of the Volant for extra air. I did see a differance compared to the stock box.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 PM

BHAF
Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 PM
JRD

I didnt notice much of a gain, excpet for more turbo whistle with my CAI. Save your money and spend it elsewhere.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,

Spend your money somewhere else. Those things are mostly eye candy.

Damon
Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the quick responses! So is it worth it to buy the stage with the power I plan on making...just want to buy once. What about the cool blue hose? Also the prefilter...is it nessicary? One of my buddies at the dodge shop said something about gauze oiled filters causing "dusting" if I remember the term correctly. So If I get the dry media with the AFE and the prefilter shouls it help with the "dusting"? Thanks again!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had an AFE stg 2 on my truck since I got it and its been perfectly fine, craftsmanship is great, and its solid. I still have the oiled filter and it has been doing its job just fine, no dust in the intake etc and the AFE will give you the loudest whistle over the other intakes. I think it is a good accomodation for any Cummins CR.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 PM

so if understand correctly, the AFE pro dry stage 2 cx is the one and illuminates the need to buy a tq/tube or that cool blue hose? I'm a little slow tonight.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 PM

*****'s whistler. Search on here. Best bang for the buck & the turbo will S I N G !!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by tslewisz
BHAF
My vote. $50 somethin plus a little PVC or 4" exhuast pipe and a big hose clamp = a $70 intake, I changed my last BHAF filter with 50K miles on it.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:50 AM

Well I think the AFE 2 has been the KING on here for a while, so that is why I reccomended you getting that one. I've also read a bunch of posts on the dry filter vs. the oiled gauze you mentioned....plus I have my own theory.

From my experience....which is a S-ton of dirtbike riding/racing since I was 4yrs old, and all the 4x4'ing and such I've done in the past...I like many on here not only feel more comfortable but truely think the oiled filters offer more protection. The dry filters are probably just fine and dandy, but with my CTD I want a little oil on the filter to trap the dirt.

Here's why:......I dont know what most guy's on here use as far as oil and such, but I use dirtbike stuff. They sell PJ1 air filter cleaner in a spray can at the dirtbike shop and PJ1 "fabric" filter spray as well. Its spray's red oil just like the K&N recharge kit and you get twice the filter cleaner and oil for your money. If you clean and oil your filter properly (ie. not under or over oiling) that oil is made to be very tacky...and tacky for a reason. Reason is to catch dirt, misc particles, and even help with moisture (ie. mist, fog, etc).

Now Im not sure about the dry filters as I havent actually had my hands on one yet to really check it out, but oiled filters have been around for a long time and have been used in millions of applications. The dry filters have me wondering if dirt is the only thing prevented from entering? I dont know. They are easier to clean and maintain I guess, heck you can even shake them out and get them like 60% clean or something, but that may not be exactly accurate.

I've followed the posts on many of the intakes on this site, and have even read about how the Quad intake (which is what I have) isn't the best of the oiled filters on here. I agree that it may not be the very best, and that the AFE probably is. However, what I've read about people having problems with the Quad intake, it seems people have noticed in their intake tubes that there is sometimes a thin layer of dust and dirt. Well since I've read that I've really paid close attention to my intake tube's condition when cleaning. Im not saying Im an expert, but I've oiled a ton of filters in my day. I feel I've oiled it correctly every time and have never even found the slightest amount of dust/dirt in my intake tube. So....what Im getting at is it all depends on how well you oil your filter.

Do I think they are worth it....yes, especially when you have high hp goals in mind as you do...Im mean ARE!! If I were you, I'd order the AFE stage 2 with an oiled filter, but others might chime in with additional comments about the dry, so base your desisions on what you feel more comfortable with. A pre-filter is always a good idea with any filter, doesnt restrict much and prolongs the life between filter cleanings.

Just my $.02!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:05 AM
tcr

Great post Boss, yeah those dry filters love water, oiled is the only way I'd go and AFE stg 2s w/ 5 layer filter element are the best IMO. You get what you pay for....

Quick Reply: I'm embarrassed to ask (a newb intake question)