3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I'm beginning to think my truck hates me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm beginning to think my truck hates me.

And the saga continues... Evil twin upper pump duramax cp3 -- the fitting for the fuel pressure sender is, well, giving my whole engine a bath diesel diesel everywhere. The fitting seems to be tight, is there something I'm missing as to why it is spewing diesel? -- oh it didn't do this at first, but started about 60miles after install.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:02 AM

Are you talking about the rail pressure sensor adapter fitting?

Take a look at this thread, https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=206613

When I installed my evil twin kit, everything worked great for a few thousand miles, until I decided to mess around with adding a new rail pressure guage. On mine, it looks like what happened, was that I didn't tighten my rail pressure sensor adapter fitting tight enough when I was in there. I drove down the street, and all was well, but when I got on it, it felt a lil weird. Pulled over and realized diesel had been coming out of that fitting at 20+kpsi!

I tried re-tightening it, but the high pressure and the loose fitting rattled the threads enough to where I just couldn't get a good seal. Lloyd got a new one out to me the next day, but I found a workaround that seemed to work, so I've just left it this way.

Here's what I did (taken from the above link):

If anyone happens to run into this situation in the future (not sure how someone could be as unsmart/unlucky as me) Lloyd said you could throw that rail pressure sensor in place of the rail pressure relief valve on the rail. Keep in mind now you will be running without a relief valve.

To do this, you would simply put the stock plug back into the top cp3 with the spring and check ball then remove the rail pressure relief valve and put the rail pressure sensor in its place. I stuck the finger of a leather glove over the relief valve and zip tied the finger on to keep it free of debris. Keep in mind that both cp3s still need to have a return line running to the tank (some people put the return from the top cp3 into the top of the relief valve with the stock banjo). The way mine is setup, I teed my top cp3 return line into the bottom cp3 metal return line then it goes into my fuel filter delete which tees up to the relief valve as well as back to the tank.

Jared
Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 AM

I'll pass this info along. Thanks!!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:49 AM

yeh Daniel, I just got your voicemail right after lunch. There is a possibility that it may have been a bad fitting, but like Jared mentioned above, if it was test run with even a small leak, it will etch the sealing surface and thread area resulting in an unfixable leak. If you switch the sensor back into the rail like Jared also mentioned, it will get you back on the road till I can get you a fitting out.

Lloyd
Old 08-05-2008, 03:09 PM

Thanks. Hopefully I can get this truck wrapped up and on the road for real... stay tuned
Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 AM

How soon before you think you can get the fitting out?