3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

II SPS 62 vs. HTB2

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
II SPS 62 vs. HTB2

It's time to upgrade the turbo on my 03. I was looking for a drop-in replacement that would work with my turbo-mount Jake Brake, and deliver the best economy with about 75 hp worth of extra fueling and still be able to hold together and keep things cooled off with the Hot Juice turned all the way up (150 hp). Industrial Injection recommended their Super Phat Shaft 62 while High Tech Turbo says their HTB2 with the 12cm housing and the 62mm compressor housing is the way to go.

The truck is my daily driver and sees semi-regular towing duties with trailers ranging from 2,000 lbs to 12,000lbs.

What do you all think??? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:59 PM

I don't have first hand experience (havent gotten a turbo yet), but from what i've seen on here for the past year or two, you cant go wrong with either one of the turbo's you mentioned for towing....as i dont tow often, i'm looking at the HTT 62/71/13 turbo...or either of the ones you mentioned....
Old 01-13-2008, 03:56 PM

II makes great turbos but HTT also makes great turbos neither is a bad choice

IMO 03 6spd everyday driver fair amount of towing & moderate power

HTT HTB2 62/65/14 I had this turbo and towed a 12000 lb ww toy hauler also drove everyday , my truck was an auto spool was only slightly slower then stock off idle but anything over 10lbs boost much faster spool then stock charger.

the thing that impressed me was the reliability and performance was just fantastic !

I like the 65 wheel for towing and everyday better spool & drive pressure with moderate power no issues

I like the larger exhaust housing 14cm vs 12 allows a bit more top end and helps to keep things a bit cooler as well.

IMO go with 62 , smaller wheel 65 bigger exhaust housing 14cm
best overall performance for exactly what you plan on doing .

down the road if you ever decide to pop for a set of twins your almost 1/2 way there as the 62 will work great for a top charger in a twin set.

FYI I am partial to HTT they have demonstrated customer service second to none , they replaced a 1 year old charger that was on my truck for a different charger over 1 year after purchase , with no questions asked and the best part I got the pick of the litter any charger I wanted !

try that on for service ! I am very impressed with HTT

I have not dealt with II but as good as HTT has been to me and as great as the performance has turned out on each of the 2 chargers I have used in the past I would not consider doing business with any other turbo mfg
HTT has won me as a customer for life unless they sold out and some other company drove the business into the ground!

sorry for the long winded post but I hope this helps & good luck !
Old 01-13-2008, 11:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just put on an HTT 62/71/13ss Friday. It is a little laggy with the 71 turbine but it does a great job of keeping the EGT's under control. EGT's will creap up starting out but when the turbo lights they stay under control. 65 turbine is probably better. If you already have a tight TC then definetly get the 65 turbine. I am building my auto shortly so I will just have my TC built a little loose to add in spoolup starting off. Right now my tranny hates me....LOL
Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 AM

So does that mean that a II silver 62/74/14 would be even more laggy then HTT 62/71/13 for towing?
Old 01-14-2008, 12:50 AM

yes it does mean that !

bigger wheel 74 slower initial spooling vs 71 for HTT

the 65 wheel is better for towing IMO

on a single 62/65/13 or 14

if I was to buy a industrial injection turbo for your truck for the towing
the phat shaft 62 with a 65 wheel would be the one !
industrial injection only carry cast housings.

HTT version is the HTB2 62 with 65 wheel exhaust housing come in 12, 14 cast housing or stainless 13 take your choice

can you say twins ?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Banned

I thought the bigger exhaust wheels helped reduce surging while towing?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:47 AM

I agree with desertchecker...

I have a 525 hp 04.5 with a 62/14/65 that is a killer truck.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:00 PM

You will forgive me, but I really don't know what the turbo size numbers represent. I figure the larger the numbers, the more power the turbo will support but the laggier the truck will be without the necessary fueling. Please educate me.

HTT seems pretty confident their 62/65/12 is the turbo to beat for my application. They report guys with the Edge Juice on level 3 (60hp for the "normal" Juice, approx 75hp for the 03-04.5 "hot" version) are reporting a 1-2 mpg increase in fuel mileage. At $3.50+ a gallon, thats a good thing. They also claim it will support up to 550hp, which is the top rated limit for my clutch.

The SPS62 has a 71mm exducer wheel, but I have no idea what the "last" number is or what it even represents. They also say this is the turbo of choice for my truck (imagine that) , that I would be happier with the EGT control than I would be with the HHT, should also see an increase in MPG's while cruising on level 3 and it will support up to 600hp, but I'm worried about how laggy it would be.

Probably my biggest reason for doing a turbo upgrade is the stocker is just not very happy with the extra fueling. Unloaded and on level 3, boost will top out at 36 pounds, right where I have the waste gate set. On level 5 however, boost will spike right past the gate up to 44-45 lbs. Poor little feller must be spinning 140,000 rpm's to get boost that high. I have no idea how high the EGT's get on level 5 as the Juice has already de-fueled due to the high boost by the time the exhaust has gotten to 1300*.

Basically, I'm looking for the little more oomph I would expect from a turbo upgrade without negatively effecting driveability or fuel economy while hopefully avoiding sending little pieces of white-hot turbo bits into the intercooler. Am I expecting too much?

Also, I've had people on other forums state that I could get away with a 66mm turbo due to the fact I've got a manual transmission vs. an automatic, with which the truck would struggle. Why is this??
Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dude
You will forgive me, but I really don't know what the turbo size numbers represent. I figure the larger the numbers, the more power the turbo will support but the laggier the truck will be without the necessary fueling. Please educate me.

HTT seems pretty confident their 62/65/12 is the turbo to beat for my application. They report guys with the Edge Juice on level 3 (60hp for the "normal" Juice, approx 75hp for the 03-04.5 "hot" version) are reporting a 1-2 mpg increase in fuel mileage. At $3.50+ a gallon, thats a good thing. They also claim it will support up to 550hp, which is the top rated limit for my clutch.

The SPS62 has a 71mm exducer wheel, but I have no idea what the "last" number is or what it even represents. They also say this is the turbo of choice for my truck (imagine that) , that I would be happier with the EGT control than I would be with the HHT, should also see an increase in MPG's while cruising on level 3 and it will support up to 600hp, but I'm worried about how laggy it would be.

Probably my biggest reason for doing a turbo upgrade is the stocker is just not very happy with the extra fueling. Unloaded and on level 3, boost will top out at 36 pounds, right where I have the waste gate set. On level 5 however, boost will spike right past the gate up to 44-45 lbs. Poor little feller must be spinning 140,000 rpm's to get boost that high. I have no idea how high the EGT's get on level 5 as the Juice has already de-fueled due to the high boost by the time the exhaust has gotten to 1300*.

Basically, I'm looking for the little more oomph I would expect from a turbo upgrade without negatively effecting driveability or fuel economy while hopefully avoiding sending little pieces of white-hot turbo bits into the intercooler. Am I expecting too much?

Also, I've had people on other forums state that I could get away with a 66mm turbo due to the fact I've got a manual transmission vs. an automatic, with which the truck would struggle. Why is this??
I had both the SPS66 and SPS62 on my '03...

The 66 is a lag monster. Dyno queen. Sucks for daily driving unless you really like lag and fogging everyone on the road trying to get it spooled. While it can be fun at times and it has a big hit (it flat RIPS from 12psi to 60psi) it's no fun when you loose boost and have to build it again when you shift. It's better to shift and keep your foot in it, but that's a bit abusive IMO. The surging with 10k behind the truck sucked, too. I even had surge with two dirt bikes in the back at 4000+ft driving up to the Sierras.

The 62 lit at maybe 7lbs of boost and topped out at 52psi. It actually kept EGT's cooler since the boost could get "ahead" of the EGT's. Much more fun to drive, less smoke (but you can still lug it and smoke out whomever) and recovers from shifts much quicker. I never noticed any surging, either.

Go smaller, you can always upgrade if it's not enough. It's better than spending $2k only to find out you hate it. Ask me why I know...
Old 01-14-2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
I thought the bigger exhaust wheels helped reduce surging while towing?
This is true especially on the bigger turbos.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tuf-4x4
So does that mean that a II silver 62/74/14 would be even more laggy then HTT 62/71/13 for towing?
Not necessarily. It depends on your set up. I know of a truck that spools a Silver 62 faster than a stock turbo.

It really comes down to how your truck is set up. If your performance mods are chosen based on what turbo you have you will never have a problem.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:03 PM

Don't buy into the wheel size so much...you don't have to have a 71 wheel!

If you are going to stop at 500 hp and change...stick with a 65! Spools quicker...tows better...drives better.

And...cause of this 71/74 wheel fad...is WAYYYYYY CHEAPER!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:05 PM

Yea. I couldn't help notice the difference in price between the 65's and the 71-72's out there!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 PM

All you need is some small Flux Injectors...say Flux 1's or 1.5's with your Hot Juice and a HTB2 with a 65 wheel for you to have a 500 hp all day any day drivable truck.

Quick Reply: II SPS 62 vs. HTB2