3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Ignorant Bombing

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I get to hang out at one of the best shops and I get to see everything and learn alot.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
Well I get to hang out at one of the best shops and I get to see everything and learn alot.
What shop is that?
Old 10-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Luken;1188128]What shop is that?[/QUOT

WOP here in
Old 10-30-2006, 04:00 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have gotten a lot of help from members here and Ramwheelsby4 is one of em. I dont know if there is a completely safe way to get 500+ hp out of a 5.9L motor but I am gonna and I will do it in a somewhat safe manner, but I am sure thing will break a long the way.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:08 PM

I did about 6 months of research before I bought my truck and the about 1 month on here talking with all of you guys to help me sort through all of the hype and BS and then started on my journey. As the 4 month process was underway, I continued to research, check, and tweak my project. I am still tweaking and learning everyday. I would say my truck is 60% complete and when (and if) I get it in magazines, I will definitely have a big sign, sticker, or quote or something thanking all of the wondeful DTR guys!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:48 PM

I was never asking for only smoke! Just some black stuff to accompany all the Show & Go & Noise . I think Im trading up to the Bullydog Though. All the adds for bullydog show you have to purchase the outlook also, is that true.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i READ alot before i did anything, and then did one thing at a time.

i never expected my 04 to lose a lift pump and a few injectors on PERF mode.
but something went bad wrong real quick.

but, that thing would run.

my 06 is pretty fast with just the crank sensor, and I won't play with it and void the warranty again - wife pretty upset about that.

so which would you get just for gauges, the EDGE or the Outlook?

buddy26 - you can run the BDDLPP without the Outlook , you just won't get all the cool functionality - and even then, you need a Triple Dog - so really, you need the ~$600 combo to do it right
Old 10-30-2006, 10:47 PM

Since this is my 7th CTD, i guess my knowledge comes from experience. I used to own a hotshot co. and in the 'old days' we would pull 36' long 7000lb and then load 24-26000lb on top, get on the hiway and try for the speed limit. The only mods back then were exhaust brakes, and cat deletes. These trucks would pull all day long 16-20 hrs without complaint, and we didnt need gauges, never had heard of EGT or boost, and all was fine. As the industry changed and guys started 'hot rodding' the CTD's all the new parts and gadgets came out which required gauges and monitoring so that you dont blow them up. So while I love the new days, and all of the toys, i try to stick to my roots and BOMB responsibly in order to preserve my truck which I make my living in. And while many of the BOMBING crowd is trying to produce smoke, the rest of us are trying to fix it if its smokin. A true diesel mechanic will agree that smoke=broke in most cases. And before you bash me, yes I understand that most only smoke during take-off, but if its smoking, its overfueling, and for most of us this has no benefit. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
I would say my truck is 60% complete and when (and if) I get it in magazines, I will definitely have a big sign, sticker, or quote or something thanking all of the wondeful DTR guys!
I hope you start taking it on the Hot Rod Power Tour.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
my 06 is pretty fast with just the crank sensor, and I won't play with it and void the warranty again - wife pretty upset about that.
They just can't seem to understand us...
Old 10-30-2006, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Longhorn06
And while many of the BOMBING crowd is trying to produce smoke, the rest of us are trying to fix it if its smokin. A true diesel mechanic will agree that smoke=broke in most cases. And before you bash me, yes I understand that most only smoke during take-off, but if its smoking, its overfueling, and for most of us this has no benefit. Just my 2 cents.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Longhorn06
And while many of the BOMBING crowd is trying to produce smoke, the rest of us are trying to fix it if its smokin. A true diesel mechanic will agree that smoke=broke in most cases. And before you bash me, yes I understand that most only smoke during take-off, but if its smoking, its overfueling, and for most of us this has no benefit. Just my 2 cents.
Im not a true diesel mechanic but I do know that if you have a big laggy single turbo you are going to have smoke. You have to overfuel it to get it spinning. After it's lit you don't have to worry about smoke. The only way around the smoke for guys like myself is to inject....

Smoke doesn't equal broke in most cases....
Old 10-31-2006, 11:13 AM

I learned from drag racing that xy&z doesn't always work together.
Before I bought anything, I did a lot of reading. On the DTR page, performance pages, mfg pages and any other sources I could find.

I always start w/ the garbage in/out principle. So I did the air in and exhaust first, then looked at fueling, then computer/fuel supply. I have clutch issues, but that's because I didn't do my homework and let someone else (shop) do the thinking for me..... I have been on a dyno and been rated at about 400hp & 900 ft-lbs to the ground. I haven't spent an arm and let doing it either. The real test is that I can pull my 5th wheel faster than what is feasible (if I wanted to) in the mountains here in CO and have much better fuel mileage than before.

Now, that said. I never got into the making smoke thing. I could never figure out the allure. Mine has never been a smoke monster. I get a little taking off hard if I have been idling at a traffic light or getting on it after cruising 80mph down the hwy for 5 hrs.

G
Old 10-31-2006, 11:39 AM

Question build ups

Hi guys. I am new here, and just bought a 06 2500 long bed Qcab, Diesel. So far I am pretty happy with it, although it only has 500 miles on it.
I am going to use it to haul our 30 foot travel trailer, and am concerned with some of the entries in other places in this forum, regarding exhast temperatures, and guaging, and other engine issues, as well as suspension issues like Sway and overloads. I haven't even put steps on yet and am already worried that I am underpowered, etc.
I want to take a methodical approach as described above, but live in a rural community where the resources are strictly limited.
I have already noticed that the truck sloshes all over the place when crossing a curb or coming out of our driveway onto the highway. Our Ford was a lot stiffer. I haven't pulled yet, so I am concerned about this.
Sold as a "Tow Package" I shouldn't really have to do so much after market stuff just to make it suitable.
So, that being said, what basic mods, that are sensible, and not just hot-rodding, could I start with to improve pulling power, and safety.
I think I have the suspension figured out, and will add some passive (not air adjustable) overloads, and an antisway bar.
So, what engine mods?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Luken
Im not a true diesel mechanic but I do know that if you have a big laggy single turbo you are going to have smoke. You have to overfuel it to get it spinning. After it's lit you don't have to worry about smoke. The only way around the smoke for guys like myself is to inject....

Smoke doesn't equal broke in most cases....
Luken,
I agree, and that is exactly what I was saying....the engine is overfueling prior to the laggy turbo catching up....however, as a truck used as a pulling unit built for longevity, this will eventually take years off of the engines life. You have to keep in mind that what I use a truck for and what you use it for are two very different things. Put mine on the track beside yours and you would think that I brought a SMART car. You have built for HP, and massive torque and pull huge numbers, which is great if thats what you want. Due to the configuration of your setup-you produce smoke. Now hook your truck up to a 36' flatbed loaded with pipe and run beside me for the next 12hrs straight under load! See my point...different setups for different uses, and in my original post I referred to what these trucks are 'intended' for. They are intended for 'work'. The SRT-10 is intended for racing and playing, but you guys have managed to turn a work truck into a Viper killer with amazing success. Its all good, and my only point is that once you 'over-bomb' you can still daily drive it, but you will no longer have a viable work unit. Lastly, if deisel mechanics thought smoke was OK then every hiway tractor in the country would be pouring it out down the interstate!! Generally as a rule, it there is excessive smoke, there is a problem, this is a key indicator...always has been, always will be (at least in my opinion). I would love to make the power and torque numbers that you do, but it just isnt feasible for my needs, heck I'd like to even go for a ride just to see what it feels like!!!

Quick Reply: Ignorant Bombing