3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Ignorant Bombing

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ignorant Bombing

I've noticed how common it is for guys to increase their HP & torque without understanding (or caring) how product XYZ does what to their rig... and then be upset with Dodge, vendor XYZ or both over the results/carnage.

There's no black magic involved - just advanced applications of combustion engineering.

Be honest guys: do you bomb on hype, empirical results, or an understanding of how the engine's operation is modified?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a HYPE kind of guy myself.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:44 PM

I like HYPE and homemade Water Methanol Kits.....
Old 10-29-2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
I like HYPE and homemade Water Methanol Kits.....
lol,, I try not to be too much hype myself,, thats why I spend so much time on here, so I can learn what everything does

Kevin
Old 10-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Banned

I'm a hype but I know what each thing does to my truck long before I buy it. How do you think I made my tranny last this long?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all I care about is black smoke. black smoke=COOL
what ever chip will give me the most blackness is what I want

Old 10-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Muted User

Black smoke is good. My truck is hardly modified other than the fully cranked smoke screw that has earned the rig the nickname "gross polluter" amongst friends. It also earned me a letter from the Southern California Air Quality Management District.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:01 AM

I spent six months reading, talking to local diesel performance gurus, some very good nationally known ones at that. Ran just gauges for 3 months to get a feel for how the truck reacted to conditions in stock form. Then went through the normal air intake and exhaust mods. Then moderate performance boxes to see how they worked and effected the truck. When I decided to go to the next level I went to Michael at HotRodDiesels.com and discussed all of the options, sequence of installs and what I could afford. I did a complete TC/Trans Billet build. Then ran with HOT Juice/Attitude and EZ to see what that was like. Found I needed more mods to support that level. Did Suncoast Flexplate, FASS, II SPS66, BD BOV and finally studs. Truck has 45,000 miles on it since I started bombing. The last 25,000 miles have been over 500+rwhp and many hard runs down the track. It certainly helps to have knowledgeable diesel people to assist in bombing.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:06 AM

John - you're the poster boy for how to bomb a 3rd gen the right way...

hope y'all paid attention to how he went about it!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:14 AM

I guess Im an ignorant bomber... I just used 2 chips, a turbo, fuel system, and a built tranny and made 650+ hp.

I'm all hype too! I just need a bottle of nitrous and some water meth and I'll be good to go
Old 10-30-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
I spent six months reading, talking to local diesel performance gurus, some very good nationally known ones at that. Ran just gauges for 3 months to get a feel for how the truck reacted to conditions in stock form. Then went through the normal air intake and exhaust mods. Then moderate performance boxes to see how they worked and effected the truck. When I decided to go to the next level I went to Michael at HotRodDiesels.com and discussed all of the options, sequence of installs and what I could afford. I did a complete TC/Trans Billet build. Then ran with HOT Juice/Attitude and EZ to see what that was like. Found I needed more mods to support that level. Did Suncoast Flexplate, FASS, II SPS66, BD BOV and finally studs. Truck has 45,000 miles on it since I started bombing. The last 25,000 miles have been over 500+rwhp and many hard runs down the track. It certainly helps to have knowledgeable diesel people to assist in bombing.
RAM, You have gone way beyond what I intend to do with my truck, but I certainly respect your approach (and Patience!). I wonder how many of us wish we had gone the same route. When I see that guys are doing serious bombing without even adding gauges, I just scratch my head.
When I was building performance street engines, I used to tell the customer that the simple basic formula that they needed to adhere to was that for every $ they spent on performance, they needed to invest an equal amount for reliability.
Plugging in something like a Crazy Larry without even adding gauges hardly fits into that formula!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:31 AM

I know alot of guys who plug in a Crazy Larry.... Most of them have the outlook tho...
Old 10-30-2006, 08:56 AM

I would like to learn about how to add power to my truck in a smart way. The only way I know to get info is buy reading these forums. The problem is how to sort through it? I cant really seem to get a handle on what does what and how. Any advice? Any link to really informative threads or other articles? I have a truck and the money, but still in the dark
Old 10-30-2006, 09:05 AM

What is your truck?

If it's a 3rd gen, you'd do well to follow the lead of the guys on this thread who've proven that their combos work on the track - whether you're draggin' or pullin' - there's something for everyone here!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:25 AM

53 Willeys and all the other 06 owners, which programmer or chip is making the most smoke.(my quad is not)

Quick Reply: Ignorant Bombing