3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

If you wanted STACKS, but not the bed space loss...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you wanted STACKS, but not the bed space loss...

I wanted to put stacks on my truck, but I did NOT want to lose the 8foot length of the bed. I figured out how to do it. I don't have any pics right now cause I was too busy workin on it, then it got dark.
I started by building a metal box 4" tall, 6" wide, and 67" long This will be the crossover box that will basically sit on the frame under the bed I then cut in two 5" stubs on 45 degree angles coming off the top and partial side of the box (since a 5" pipe cut at a 45 degree angle is about 7") I left the stubs about 16" long. Then on the bottom of the box I put a 6" stub of 4" pipe just off center to the pass side. Here is the fun part. You need to cut holes in the bed where the pipes will come up through. Then you will have to unbolt the bed by removing the 8 bolts (18mm) and you'll have to pull the 3 star bolts out of the fuel filler neck inside the fuel door. Now you will need to lift the bed about 10" so you can set the ctrossover box on the frame. Now lower the bed. The box will have to be held up a bit to make clearance for the fuel tank.(right now I have a wood 4x4 under each side) after the box is shimmed up and where it needs to be, bolt the bed down. The fit is tight and the box is now pinched in place. Up in the bed you will have the pipes coming up on a 45 degree angle towards the bulkhead. From there you will use a 45 degree elbow and then the stack will sit on that.
I will post measurements the measurements that I used for my project tomorrow as a starting point for anybody who wants to do their own.

The only thing I would do different would be to either make the box 3.5" tall instead of 4" or bend the box in where it passes over the fuel tank. I have almost an inch of space between the two, but more may be better. I will keep an eye on it and see how it does. If I have to i'll shim the bed up .50" and get the extra clearance.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:39 PM

thats to much work for me
Old 12-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Chapter President

Shewwww.......

Man.....That does sound like a whole lot of work
Old 12-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I was thinking about running stacks from under the bed to the outside of the truck. Too many issues with it being too close to people getting into the back doors, and the fuel door is in the way on the drivers side. Still chewing on that one, though. Not in the trash yet.

Looks like a project. Can't wait to see the pics!!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:28 PM

Shim the bed up .5"? How will you body lines work out after that?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:21 PM

Hey man I thought about doin the same thing, but didn't know what it would look like. I use my truck to farm so I have a 100 gal. fuel tank, tool boxs, and other junk in the bed and no room for stacks, but I would love to have them, so if you can post some pics because I may do the same set up on my truck. Thanks
Old 12-24-2006, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by triplenickel
Shim the bed up .5"? How will you body lines work out after that?
Doubt I will have to go that route. I was actually gonna throw a body lift on the truck, but now I think i'll stay stock height for now.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by jc-diesel
Hey man I thought about doin the same thing, but didn't know what it would look like. I use my truck to farm so I have a 100 gal. fuel tank, tool boxs, and other junk in the bed and no room for stacks, but I would love to have them, so if you can post some pics because I may do the same set up on my truck. Thanks
I'll get some pics up later today. I will be keeping an eye on the stacks to see how hot they will get so I will know how far to keep things away from them in the bed.