3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I will never buy a chip, well almost never.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will never buy a chip, well almost never.

I said I would never buy a chip because my truck has lots of power and I don't want to take a chance on warranty problems. Well then I have been reading you guys for over a year and guess what? Yep I could use a little extra HP for towing!

Bought a barely used XZT from nelrod, and ordered a Commander and pillar mount from Lary here on DTR.

I have to say ditto on the good customer service with Lary and Quad, I have been bugging the heck out of them with questions and they always answer and right away so thanks guys! And thanks to nelrod for his help!

One more question, if I get the XZT first and install it, how do I then install the Commander since it looks like they both have the same wires that connect to the same places?

Now the wait, like a kid waiting for Christmas!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just be sure the ZXT is correct for your year of truck, there are programing differences for various years. If bought for wrong year it should be able to be re-Programed for your truck and if correct go for it as is. Think, if it isn't already set up correctly, that for the Commander to control the ZXT box it required being sent back to Quad for a different connector to be added to it and after that the Commander will allow various settings on the ZXT. Think something like, off, 30hp and 65hp but not sure exactly. Make the call to quad to be sure. Oh, think Quad quoted about $35 to make the mods to the box for the Commander hookup.

Good luck & Enjoy.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:34 PM

It is an easy install. I did it the other way, bought the commander first and added the chip later. you will love it!!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:35 PM

nelrod had it connected to a Commander in his 06 and Quad thinks it will work on my 05, if not he will reflash it.

Now I have to decide if I want to drill my manifold or find someone to do it. I have to think a shop would not be as careful as me about shavings??? But they should know what they are doing????
Old 06-09-2007, 11:08 PM

I was VERY nervous about drilling into the manifold too. Did a lot of reading and what I did was drill almost all the way through. Then I started the truck, put some grease on the drill bit and finished the hole. The grease caught the remaining shavings and the running engine created enough pressure so no loose ones went in.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:44 PM

The instructions that come with xzt explain how to install with or without commander plenty good. But you may want to refer to this forum and others for DIY technical writeups on drilling for pyro. I'm putting mine on in a couple of weeks as soon as I get my gauge pod. Would not ever trust anyone to drill and tap!! pre-turbo on my truck.

Make sure you tap correctly it's very easy to break off a tap. You don't just go twisting them in there, you have to take your time for every 1/4 turn cutting threads you MUST back the tap out a 1/2 or even a full turn to break off the chips forming in there otherwise things will get in a bind and that tap WILL break. No biggie just take your time and everything will be ok..
Old 06-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Banned

If you need help Pm me I'll walk you through it.. It's cake..

SHane
Old 06-10-2007, 10:48 AM

PM to Luvnacumns and if I buy a plug so I can drill the hole before the Commander gets here what size and thread type?

DiEseLjunKy, thanks for the heads up, I didn't know that, I would have ran the sucker deep in one whack! In fact how deep do I go with the tap, the install says not to go clear into the manifold.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You wont have any trouble its not near as scary as it sounds. If you need help and cant get ahold of Shane, Pm me and I'll do what I can to help you.

As far as how deep to tap have the pyro fitting there tap as deep as you think you need to be then screw the fitting in and see if its deep enough and so on.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:19 AM

Is it hard drilling like steel?

Anyone know what size plug?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Not hard to drill at all it go's through very easly. As for as plug I did 1/8 npt,1/8 is probley what it's already set for. 1/4 is a little to big. The tap will say on it what size bit to use don't go bigger. You can also pilot hole first this makes it better and easer when you get to larger bit no woundering. Use a heavy grease when drilling and tapping and you'll be fine. If any shaving were to get in the exhaust they are supper small and will blow right through with out harm.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:16 PM

1/8" NPT threads is the size can't remember the correct size hole you drill. Cast iron is easy to drill the chips just turn into a powder. Come to think of it I've never tapped any cast so I don't really know how the chips will form in it but better safe than sorry I'd still back the tap out for every 1/4 turn in.. And if you're not using grease to catch chips and using the vacuum method instead be sure to still use some kind of cutting oil to make nice clean threads.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by iweb
I said I would never buy a chip because my truck has lots of power and I don't want to take a chance on warranty problems. Well then I have been reading you guys for over a year and guess what? Yep I could use a little extra HP for towing!

Bought a barely used XZT from nelrod, and ordered a Commander and pillar mount from Lary here on DTR.

I have to say ditto on the good customer service with Lary and Quad, I have been bugging the heck out of them with questions and they always answer and right away so thanks guys! And thanks to nelrod for his help!

One more question, if I get the XZT first and install it, how do I then install the Commander since it looks like they both have the same wires that connect to the same places?

Now the wait, like a kid waiting for Christmas!

Go to Quadzillas site and look up the components, there will be install directions and it should tell you in there.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by iweb
Is it hard drilling like steel?

Anyone know what size plug?
It's cast iron, drills much easier than mild steel, and the manifold is pretty thick. I'd guestimate it's 1/4" thick.

1/8" NPT(national pipe thread) tap and plug. IMO, I would worry at all about breaking off a decent size tap like this in soft cast iron..

I just tapped till the plug can hand thread in about 3 threads, and then tighten down... Just don't go too deep with the tap or you'll open the hole too much being that the tap in tapered..
Old 06-10-2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by DiEseLjunKy
1/4" NPT threads is the size........

Noooooooo it is not......

1/8"npt is the size..

Quick Reply: I will never buy a chip, well almost never.