3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I want Pizza Cutters (tall skinny tires)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rednax
MICHELIN (LTX series) or BRIDGESTONE (Duravis series) ought to be where you start & end, IMO.
Not saying that those arent good tires. But what about when you need something a little more aggressive.

Havent had many issues with Toyo MT's. Buddy of mine got 50k out of his. Not bad for a mud tire.

I put 20k on my set on my mega before lil bro got em. Hes put around 20k on them since then and they are still wearing well.

Next weekend Im putting a set of 35x12.50 Interco M16's on my truck. Buddy of mine has them on his 07 and hes selling it. Tires have about 18k on them and well over half tread. Giving them to me with the dually spacers for a grand. Bit bigger than I wanted, but cant pass on the deal.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I miss my Toyo AT's and will be getting ATII's when my Toyo MT's wear out. It's going to be awhile as they're wearing great.
I lost 1.5-2 mpg easily with the aggressive tread.

Really wish somebody made a 275-80-17 in a e-rating. I doubt fuel will be heading south,so less rolling resistance would be a plus.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rednax
Changing tire height ain't so hot for handling, braking and component life. Going skinnier than OEM definitely isn't good for braking, steering response either. Fuel mileage isn't helped either.

If there are those of us who regularly get above 100k on a set of OEM spec tires then it's really hard to beat the appropriate size.

MICHELIN (LTX series) or BRIDGESTONE (Duravis series) ought to be where you start & end, IMO.

Stock spec and pressures reflecting loads on premium tires = no headaches and lowest cost per mile.

The numbers in my sig are no accident. The right brand and size is central to a low cpm of ownership & operating costs where performance is always at least as good as stock.

I dont know how much that matters as far as width. My dually comes with 235's and the singles come with 265's. Same truck as far as the front end goes. They also are pretty much the same height. You just need to ensure your tire is rated for the load.

Just me thinking, but i would guess two tires same height, the skinnier tire would get better mileage.

I also wish they made a 235/90/17 tire or a 255/90/17. The manual tranny guys with duallys would buy them up.

In the snow, nothing beats a narrower tire.