3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I Want louder exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Want louder exhaust sound

I was wanting to hear from you guys who are straight piped, pros or cons, idle sound, driving sound and of course WOT. I am currentley running no cat with BD muffler (quiet to me) and want the Bad edit truck sound

Please do not use symbols in place of curse words...

Thanks-
madhat

Forum Rules
You agree, through your use of the DieselTruckResource.Com forum, that you will not post any material which is...vulgar, profane... In addition, for the use of this forum, profane posts should be considered those completely spelled words, or partially spelled words with use of keyboard symbols that suggest a profane meaning. We repeat, profane posts will absolutely not be tolerated on this website and its forums.

Last edited by madhat; 04-13-2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: language
Old 04-13-2008, 06:15 PM

I have a '07 megacab 5.9 and installed a set of grand rock 6 inch bullhauler stacks a few weeks ago. No muffler. Nice and loud like a diesel should be. People really hear you coming. As for cab noise, I drive on the interstate with all windows down including the rear sliding window and the noise was loud but not unbarable. Not bad at all with rear sliding window closed. The idle sound is awesome and with the setup you have the black smoke would definitely roll. I have a buddy with an '03 that just ran a 5 inch dual setup with no cat or mufflers and my stacks sound 10 times better and louder. Besides you get so much more attention with stacks.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:36 PM

i have a five inch exhaust with a straight through muffler and have tried it straight piped. the idle noise with the striaght is a little annoing for me so i think im gonna put my muffler back on
Old 04-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Maybe it's the aeroturbine, but I removed the cat and it's got an offbeat sound to it. Not a drone or like it's straight piped. Kind a hard to describe.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have the exhaust listed in my sig. Loud. Muffler delete pipe... it's screamin...
Old 04-13-2008, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got to hear a couple of trucks with twins this weekend and the noise level was drastically lower than mine.Being your running twins already I'd say go strait pipe.One guy had an 8" single stack with a real small muffler(not sure which brand)and twins and it sounded awesome.Loud enough to get your attention but not so loud to **** the neighbors off!I've been trying to shut mine up for months now.Guess a $3500 muffler(twins) is what I'll be going with!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by homewrecker
I got to hear a couple of trucks with twins this weekend and the noise level was drastically lower than mine.Being your running twins already I'd say go strait pipe.One guy had an 8" single stack with a real small muffler(not sure which brand)and twins and it sounded awesome.Loud enough to get your attention but not so loud to **** the neighbors off!I've been trying to shut mine up for months now.Guess a $3500 muffler(twins) is what I'll be going with!

The 8" stack is my truck I had the stack in it with the single turbo and it would rattle the back glass and make my ears ring if I drove it for more than 30 min on the interstate. Now with the twins it is quiter than it was with the pipe coming out behind the tires. I am running a silverline muffler but it really does not make a difference it just worked out better when i was hooking up the stack.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:19 PM

I bought a 5" magnaflow turbo back and love it, a friend of mine kept nagging me to stright pipe it, so i did and i started the truck up and i was like to heck with that, i put the muffler back on..

I do way to much driving for that..

I think my friends bullydog kit it freaking loud..
Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM

Hey great, thanks to all who have posted thier comments. Seems to me that with twins I can get away with straight piping my rig, thats what everybody on multiple forums have said. I had a large single with my current set up and wow it was loud when at WOT but with the new twins its like stock but slightly more tone. So looks like the twins are acting as a muffler, so I will go straight piped but save my muffler because you never know.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:09 PM

ive got a 7"bull hauler stack turned down under my bed you wanna talk about loud, it echos off of the bed the rear duals, everything its loud and hella loud when your loaded down w/ a trailer

Last edited by mtl0727; 04-14-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: cant spell worth a darn
Old 04-14-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jepling
The 8" stack is my truck I had the stack in it with the single turbo and it would rattle the back glass and make my ears ring if I drove it for more than 30 min on the interstate. Now with the twins it is quiter than it was with the pipe coming out behind the tires. I am running a silverline muffler but it really does not make a difference it just worked out better when i was hooking up the stack.
That is one sharp truck! Good to meet you guys this past weekend.How did the photo shoot go?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by homewrecker
That is one sharp truck! Good to meet you guys this past weekend.How did the photo shoot go?
He took alot of pics and said he would try to get it in the same mag as the smokin event. If I knew that there was going to be a mag. there I would have cleaned my truck before i came.