3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I really could use some HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, check the intercooler for oil (take it out). If the shaft seal let go in front also, it could have partially filled the intercooler. If it grabs that oil when trying to run..... you better be running.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:56 PM

Thats what im saying........ Twins, banks, tranny, just take the darn thing to someone that can fix it, chances are you didnt do much, but if you want to start it again and risk more problems thin go ahead. You asked the question an these guys are telling you.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:50 AM

There arent any reliable mechanics that can work on this truck.I am sure I can find people who say they know what they are doing because "I work on semi's, its the same thing attitude". There is the dealership..There is the actual cummins facility which would be the closest solution, but there goes the money I had to buy the parts because cummins chargers 105.00 per hour. I dont know how hard it is to pull the head. Once I pull it, what do I do to clean everything out? Use a rag? What about moving the piston up and down to check for peices of metal?
Old 11-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Bud where the heck are you located????? Im sure if you let us know you will find that there are guys closer than you realize that will come give you a hand or point you to someone that can help. You would be suprised what a few beers and a good shade tree mechanic can get you...
Old 11-23-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you not listening to these guys? You have no real experience or knowledge of Diesel engines or any real experience with engines, as you have already stated; yet you keep insisting you want to do it yourself! If you think these guys are going to tell you what you want to hear, you are wrong. You just sucked a turbo thru you engine, more than likely you have possibly ruined your head and possibly the block, depending on how bad the cylinder scoring is, and if the cylinders can possibly be bored. You are not going to get away cheap on this one, except that fact! Go to the next step, find a good diesel mechanic. You should be asking if anyone knows a good mechanic on this thread, not what 12-steps you need to take to put a bandade on the engine!
You asked opinions, you wanted someone to say what you wanted to hear, instead; you got honest, experienced and knowledgeable nuggets of wisdom! Don't be a fool, learn to listen and heed good advice!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:42 AM

Invest in a $20 electronic copy of the Cummins repair manual and read up. Its not that hard to do what you need to accomplish. You can rent just about every tool needed for the job if you don't have them as well.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:00 AM

Thumbs up

you dont think that in the past when I had to replace my injectors I was doing threads looking for someone that knows what they are doing?? I have been looking for someone that actually knows what they are doing for a long time. I am in El Paso Texas. Yes I found the cummins dealership, they said from time to time they get the smaller trucks in for service, but they didnt seem very thrilled about the idea. If I knew of someone that actually knew what they were doing I would let them. But finding a honest mechanic is far and few between. Espically when you are in the cummins dealership and those guys are just standing around on the clock, talking, joking, They wanted 300.00 just to plug in a star scan and check for the bad injector. I said no thanks, and I replaced them myself and it was really easy. I went to the dealership and they didnt want to touch my truck because I have a Quad commander, and a Airdog. You guys sit there and criticize me because I am trying to figure out the best way to get out of this situation. I dont live in an area where diesel trucks are popular. Heck there was a guy on this forum last week that was trying to start a club chapter in my city and I was the only guy that was actually here. Everyone else was at least 100 miles away. If you read the post I am looking for a way to diagnose the damage.. You guys sit here and patronize me because I dont know what Exacly I sould do, but I dont have experts in my area like most people in the East and west coasts. If you told someone in El Paso about sled pulliong they would think you were palying santa clause in the snow.

I really appreciate the people who kept their sarcasm to themselves and actually were optimistic about my mechanical abilites and situation.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:11 AM

Well goodluck to ya, i hope everything isnt as bad as it seems, i think you missed the point of a few guys trying to help it just seems your being thick headed.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by rogers259
LMAO!!!! The reason you have a miss at idle is because you just put "1000000 peiceses" of your turbo through your engine! Sorry to laugh but like Larry said DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE!!! You have done major damage and if you don't think you have the experience or the tools to properly diagnosys and fix please TOW it to a good diesel mechanic. Either way I think you've got a big bill awaiting you. Good luck
yea, that was called for. I didnt say I was going to run out and start the truck..I said I was thinking about doing this..
Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 AM

Looks like you might end up doing what I did at least relentless diesel is only 800 miles from you. I pulled my truck from Wyoming to California to get my truck to a reliable builder. Richard Brown did an amazing job of rebuilding my melted engine. You probably never should have been running TNT on a stock truck anyways man, I have a pretty modified engine and I still only stick to the revo software...
Old 11-23-2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by osiris
Looks like you might end up doing what I did at least relentless diesel is only 800 miles from you. I pulled my truck from Wyoming to California to get my truck to a reliable builder. Richard Brown did an amazing job of rebuilding my melted engine. You probably never should have been running TNT on a stock truck anyways man, I have a pretty modified engine and I still only stick to the revo software...
I downloaded revo, and it was horroble on my 2003. It was poping like crazy, so before going back to the beta software alot of guys were downloading the revoTnT tune, running it on low, and it cured the poping problem. I was about to order a twin turbo kit, that used a 400 on the bottom, and the stocker on top. Now I guess Ill have to find a stock replacement, a new intercooler and a good mechanic.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:48 AM

I pulled the intercooler, and it sounds like kitty litter. so thats definetly garbage. I pulled the intake horn, and inbetween the boots, and piping there are small fragments of metal. So the head has to come off.

Lets talk worse can scenario. Melted engine...Bad Head...Scorched cylender walls...Whats it going to cost...How much are better pistons? If its comming out of my pocket, what performance parts should I be looking at?
Old 11-23-2008, 01:26 PM

Your tune was popping cuz you didnt have enough fuel to feed the injectors you ran the rail dry, those tunes are hard on basic stock trucks. Did you have any gauges, piro, boost? if so what where they doing at the time of holly Edit?
Its going to cost some jack.... I say the engine is ok, but the head is prob going to nees some work, may have dropped a few valves. Id say mostly aluminum went threw there cuz its soft. Look and see what parts are some what left from the charger.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:44 PM

If you dont mind towing it someplace I would suggest contacting either relentless diesel or Browns diesel. I have had excellent experience with Browns Diesel If I ever need or want anything else done I will not hesitate to take it back to him for more work. Also keep the saying you get what you pay for in mind. If you have someone do the work for a lot cheaper than a reputable company chances are you are going to pay double once their "fixes" fail.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:56 PM

I just towed it to some guy. he says he can "figure" it out. I said I wanted the head studs drilled out, and replaced with the 14mm studs if the bill isnt too crazy, he said its easy to do that. WHat about the firering? can a regular machine shop with diesel expierence do this? I am not certain what it intails..What does the headgasket cost for the firering?

Is the banks intercooler the best way to go? its on sale, and it has the high ram, and new rubber boots...How much are 14mm studs?

Quick Reply: I really could use some HELP!!!