3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I put on my 22.5's!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I put on my 22.5's!!!!

WOW!!! I finally put on my 22.5 rims and tires from American Force Wheels. I decided to go with the standard Alcoa polished aluminum rim and the Sumitomo 255/70/22.5 on/off road tires. My back is just about done from having put these things on!! The adapters alone have to run 30 lbs. a piece!! It is some serious hardware. I would guess that the wheels and tires combine weigh in around 125lbs. each. The only bad thing was that I did not realize that the hubcap assembly on the rears is a two piece assembly requiring the first piece to be put on BEFORE the outer rear wheel is put on. After I torqued everything down, I realized this and just did not have it in me to take them off. I will have the dealer do it next week when my performance stuff is put on. I still have to take the truck to have the wheels balance because they must be balanced ON the truck, not separately. I only had to trim a little piece of plastic (about 3" by 10") on the front part of the rear inner fenderwell to avoid rubbing (my truck is completely stock height...well, was until these bad boys!). I finished the long test drive process after the sun went down so I do not have pictures yet but I will take them tomorrow and post them as soon as they get "approved".

What I can tell you is that the highway mileage increase is HUGE. I used the overhead console to compare since hand calculating was not an option at the time. I drove 68 miles on the stock wheels and tire with the cruise control set at 73 and got 13.4MPG. After the install, I drove the same 68 miles with the cruise set at 75 (after correction) and got 16.8. My engine is brand new (only 580 miles on it) so the mileage will only improve especially after all of my upgrades!

The driveability change is huge as well. I was cruising at 75 mph at just UNDER 1900 RPM. It was fantastic. The truck handles better and the ride is the same quality. I enjoy braking with the new wheels because the brakes aren't so "touchy". There is a little more give to the pedal initially (given the heavier rotational mass) but the truck still brakes phenominally. What really is great is that 3rd and 4th gear actually get you somewhere! You get about 8 mph. more per gear than before so you are not constantly shifting around town. I could not be happier with the result, both performance wise as well as functionally. I cannot recommend them highly enough!
Old 05-24-2006, 10:40 PM

why dont you just host them and upload them to a http://tinypic.com/ and then copy the URL and paste
Old 05-24-2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
why dont you just host them and upload them to a http://tinypic.com/ and then copy the URL and paste
Not a bad idea, but as of right now, I do not have any pics to share!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
Not a bad idea, but as of right now, I do not have any pics to share!
Yeah, I was going to say that picture in your album looks photoshopped.

Let's see some real pics! I'd love to have one of those trucks (auto, of course) with the wheels machined down to 20" with some low-pro toyos.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:59 AM

we need pics!
Old 05-25-2006, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to disappoint you again, but your overhead is reading the WRONG MPG. Wait until you hand calculate it. You said it yourself, those wheels and tires AND adpaters add ALOT of weight, that alone is going to offset any MPG gain you would have seen with a taller tire, see my/your other thread on this. Also, a 68 mile trip would hardly be considered averaging fuel economy. A tank of fuel, maybe. You really need a few tanks to average fuel economy, as there are alot of variables.....hills up and down, speeed, stop and go, WHERE you bought your fuel, temp outside, etc.....Sorry to rain on your parade again...
Old 05-25-2006, 10:09 AM

Looks good. Awaiting more pics.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:59 AM

i tell you what, i cant wait to see the real pics. this has to be one of the best looking trucks i've seen in a while!
Old 05-25-2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SSminnow
Sorry to disappoint you again, but your overhead is reading the WRONG MPG. Wait until you hand calculate it. You said it yourself, those wheels and tires AND adpaters add ALOT of weight, that alone is going to offset any MPG gain you would have seen with a taller tire, see my/your other thread on this. Also, a 68 mile trip would hardly be considered averaging fuel economy. A tank of fuel, maybe. You really need a few tanks to average fuel economy, as there are alot of variables.....hills up and down, speeed, stop and go, WHERE you bought your fuel, temp outside, etc.....Sorry to rain on your parade again...
The overhead is not reading the ACTUAL MPG since it is known for being inaccurate; however, I can compare the proportional gain from one reading to another. I still got a 25.3% gain in fuel economy no matter how inaccurate the overhead is as compared to actual MPG for the overhead, whilst inaccurate, is consistent. 68 miles, for each test, making 136 miles in all is more than enough to get an accurate reading in fuel economy, especially when the route taken is identical with both trips. I will obviously see a decrease in improvement (most likely) the more city driving I do, and will have more accurate results as the the ACTUAL MPG I am getting once I do several tanks of hand calculating, but the bottom line remains the same. The wheels gave me a 25% increase in fuel economy on the highway, just as I and many others had predicted.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
The overhead is not reading the ACTUAL MPG since it is known for being inaccurate; however, I can compare the proportional gain from one reading to another. I still got a 25.3% gain in fuel economy no matter how inaccurate the overhead is as compared to actual MPG for the overhead, whilst inaccurate, is consistent. 68 miles, for each test, making 136 miles in all is more than enough to get an accurate reading in fuel economy, especially when the route taken is identical with both trips. I will obviously see a decrease in improvement (most likely) the more city driving I do, and will have more accurate results as the the ACTUAL MPG I am getting once I do several tanks of hand calculating, but the bottom line remains the same. The wheels gave me a 25% increase in fuel economy on the highway, just as I and many others had predicted.
did u do a reflash to compensate for the bigger tires? if not this will throw off your hand-calculated mpg.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SSminnow
Oh, and I think your forgot to mention barometric pressure, humidity, fuel level in the truck, whether the truck was washed or not - waxed?, the coef of friction of that wax, were your wipers on or off?, level of the windshield washer resevior, tire pressure, temp of the road, and how many bugs did you hit? all numbers #'s to 4 digits!!!

haha, Cant wait to see the pics!
Old 05-25-2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2-Stroke
Oh, and I think your forgot to mention barometric pressure, humidity, fuel level in the truck, whether the truck was washed or not - waxed?, the coef of friction of that wax, were your wipers on or off?, level of the windshield washer resevior, tire pressure, temp of the road, and how many bugs did you hit? all numbers #'s to 4 digits!!!

actually all those do affect fuel mileage, just some more than others
Old 05-25-2006, 03:43 PM

Highway mileage will not be affected by rotational mass...only city. His biggest gains were from the reduced engine speed. He mentioned that his speedo is recalabrated....so comparing before to after overhead should give an idea. Just get a hand calc one of these days. Your in town stop and go driving mileage will suffer.

My truck stock got 14-15 all the time...did not matter what I was doing. I now get more on the highway and less in town. So if you at least a 50/50 driver....it is a wash. My truck sees 3 or 4-1 highway to city miles.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2-Stroke

I only figured them to 3
Old 05-25-2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Highway mileage will not be affected by rotational mass...only city. His biggest gains were from the reduced engine speed. He mentioned that his speedo is recalabrated....so comparing before to after overhead should give an idea. Just get a hand calc one of these days. Your in town stop and go driving mileage will suffer.

My truck stock got 14-15 all the time...did not matter what I was doing. I now get more on the highway and less in town. So if you at least a 50/50 driver....it is a wash. My truck sees 3 or 4-1 highway to city miles.
I am the same way. Much more highway than city-probably 30 or 40 to 1 highway to city so for me the benefit will be big.

Quick Reply: I put on my 22.5's!!!!