3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I need more power and help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need more power and help!!

I have an 04 Dodge 2500 4x4 short bed, and have already installed the six gun with speed loader, quadzilla monster air intake, one of those turbo elbow adaptors (does something with the wastegate), and got my muffler cut off and had a straight 4'in pipe installed in place of my muffler.

--Ive been told that this exhaust isnt too power friendly and gets my exhaust temp higher, so Im thinking of a 4' exhaust system with mufflers dumped. dont know how it will sound but I would like to know what is the best sounding system with a muffler. Everyone thinks my truck is too loud, but I love it.

--Ive also been told that I can install high performance injectors, but they quoted me $1000 for 100hp. I dont know a thing about injectors or much about diesels for that matter. I have hear of people installing marine injectors, and doing stuff with the fuel mixture theirselves. What should I do about getting injectors. I know I will need to start running gages, but I want to make this thing a little faster. It is an auto with 4:10 gears though, so Im not sure what all you guys suggest doing to make this thing rip! I dont haul anything but a camper and a '16ft trailer, and thats not too often.

--Also when I bought the banks 6 gun, they said you cant stack it, can you? Is this a good power module, cause it was $800! Just wondering

Sorry for the long post, I just need a lot of help!!
Thanks!
Old 08-24-2005, 03:52 PM

I guess I forgot to mention that I have the 04, not 04.5 with the 600. I think its a 305 or something, but its the 04 5.9l high output!
Old 08-24-2005, 04:12 PM

If you want to go fast then you will need to rework the tranny. I don't think the banks system is the best bang for the buck when it comes to HP numbers. If you are looking for raw HP/ TQ then you would be better off with a TST powermax, but it will toast your turbo and stock tranny in short time if you run it on higher settings.

Jumping in with both feet and throwing parts on your truck will usually wind up getting you in trouble in no time at all... you have to mod wisely

SO....

Stop spending money and sit back and read these boards of a couple of weeks and you will get some better ideas on how to spend wisely (instead of from advertisements in the magazines)....
Old 08-24-2005, 04:59 PM

dang,
I know Im new, but I havent done anything to hurt my truck yet I think. Anyway, Im just wanting to know what some of my next steps are, as far as making better and faster. Im not finding what I want as far as personal answers, that need to be answered, so I figured I post some of my own. Some of you guy's are more technical than me, and thats ok, but there is only one way for me to learn and thats ask ???"S!

--So with that said, what about mod's? Do I need to do some tranny work before I go any deeper, or can I get a lil extra juice outa something easy!

Im not looking for a mad hp tranny ripping machine, just a lil more than I got now! Im already thinking fo the MPR or whatever 4" exhaust, but what else comes to mind with some of you prodad's?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:00 PM

oh and what about injectors???
Old 08-24-2005, 05:10 PM

I have a friend that runs stock injectors that are polished in his Gen2 Cummins. He also runs twin turbos and a well built tranny. He runs 11's in the 1/4 mile. I haven't heard what to do for Gen3 Cummins so I am waiting and reading just like you.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:10 PM

GET GAUGES! you are pushing EGT's way too high! the injectors are not complete replacements in most cases, they are just replacement nozzles to install in the stock injectors. there are not injectors from another application that will work in our engines yet so you have to get ones from a performance supplier. the six gun is not the best bang for the buck but it IS enough to kill your tranny(that is why it has trans slip detection and backdown). your tranny is already on the edge of reliability, anything else will kill it.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:16 PM

why because I have an auto? The six gun seemed to be the best bang for my buck, because it has those safty features, I still think if your buying that expensive of a truck, you might as well monitor or protect the truck the best you can. The six gun seemed to be the safest, while offering a pretty big hp gain.

--Anyone else?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:15 PM

The 4" exhaust with Aeroturbine mounted as far forward as you can get it works well to keep EGTs down and should sound pretty good as well.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:30 PM

GAUGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:03 PM

BANKS IS NEVER THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK...Anyone's buck for that matter, You could of gotten the Edge Juice Attitude (Hot version) for what you got that banks kit for...and the juice even has gauges built in it!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:20 PM

But does the Juice w/ attitude provide as much performance as the banks? Banks is claiming 126hp, while the attitude is claiming 100hp? So which is better? I wanted the most power, and besides the Attitude wasnt available a yr. ago when I got my 6 gun. Is there any digital unit that I can buy besides the Attitude that will give me all those readouts? Or do you guy's even think its worth switching chips?
Old 08-25-2005, 09:53 AM

We have the Banks Six-Gun on the 04 in our shop and it runs just fine and since you already have it, you might as well keep it. If you don't have gauges, you should really add those before doing anything else.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:05 PM

Don't worry about injectors yours will support more than enough, if you get a good timing/druation box... Some guys are having no problem getting 500+ HP out of the stock injectors with the correct set up.... Save money on the injectors and put it towards the tranny upgrades (you would be suprised of how much HP you are loosing through the stock auto tranny)...

You really need a turbo, and tranny work if you want more power than you already have... Oh yes and AT LEAST A EGT GAUGE!!!!!!!!