3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I need help picking exhaust!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help picking exhaust!!!!!!

I am needing some new exhaust soon, and I dont know which one I will be the most happy with. Here are my choices in order:

1. Bully dog 5" with muffler

2. Aero Turbine

3. MRP

4. Magna or Dynaflow (not sure the correct name)

Now, I havent heard anything about the Bully dog exhaust, but I can get them at cost, are they any good?

I currently have my stock exhaust with the muffler taken off. I like how it sounds, even though its a bit raspy. I am wanting to quiten it down some, but I still want it sounding tough and mean. Ive heard that the Aero Turbine is good, but some have posted that it is close to as loud as the straight pipes. The MRP, I have read posts claiming that it sounds like a fart can. The Manga-flow or whatever seems to be just ok. I for some reason want the 5" exhaust, but dont want a bunch of droning with a muffler on. I think the 5" would give it some good rumble and with a muffler it would quiten it down a bit right?? I was told by a tech that the 5" is too much and I should be good with 4", but his thinking might not be where mines at. I dont know which, but I need some help guys!!!!!!!! Tell me what I need that is tough and mean, but wont **** off the neighbors!!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Banned

MBRP is the one. The 304 stainless systems come with a life time warranty, and every system is easy to install. You can get Aluminized, 409 Stainless or 304 Stainless. They have welded hangers, as opposed to clamp on hangers that some systems come with. It will have everything to install the system the right way, the first time you try.

And No they do not sound like a fart can.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:06 PM

Ditto on the MBRP not sounding like a fart can . I just put one on after Christmas and love it. It's a little louder than stock and has a nice deep tone to it. Sounds healthy to me. Then again, my truck has a cat and I'm not sure how much that changes things.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:14 PM

Love my MBRP. Sounds great outside and good inside. Sounds a lot different inside than out. Sounds odd inside but have somebody drive by, and it sounds sweet. Very deep. I have the cat on too, so it's a bit quiet, but still plenty loud for me. Cat came off once and then went back on, it was loud, and if you try towing, or have a wife (or kids) it will be too loud. Only one thing worse than a loud exhuast and that's kids crying and the wife yelling at you for it = )
Old 02-07-2006, 01:49 PM

Location: Eagle, Idaho. Please set your watch back 20 years when entering.
If your pipes are OK you might just consider a muffler and save some cash. I'm very happy with the muffler in my signature. About $80 from the local Cummins dealer.

100 Proof
Old 02-07-2006, 02:05 PM

So the MBRP is the one? Do you guys think it will be loud enough? Remember, I am coming off of some straight pipes and I believe my 04 305/555 doesnt have a cat anyway. So do you guy's think it will sound good without a cat? How does it compare to the Aeroturbine?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Banned

Well my opinion,
Straight pipes sound ok until you get on the throttle. The MBRP systems sound good ALL the time. A good deep diesel tone, no loud deafening racket.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:28 PM

So I called MBRP's place, and they sound like a pretty solid system. Just dont know why they have 3 different kinds. Sounds like the 409 is the way Im gonna go, but just dont understand why they make an aluminum one. I hope you guy's are right, cause Im trusting you and going with it!!
Old 02-07-2006, 02:38 PM

Boss,
I run the MBRP muffler with the stock exhaust system since it's 4" and doesn't need replacement. Love the sound and noticed a crisper throttle response immediately. It's good!

Call Mark at DPP, or shoot him a PM, and he'll get right back with you. He's one of the vendor/advertisers here on DTR. He'll hook you up with the MBRP muffler.
Terry
Old 02-07-2006, 04:16 PM

Unfortunately, the 03-04's have a weird 3 1/2 " off the turbo that tappers into a 4" is what Ive been told. So its not a true 4" like the 05's and therefore I will need the whole system, right? I have the 04, and was told by my local muffler shop that it was a 4", and the guys at banks said I had the 3 1/2' tappered into a 4". Is this right? They were saying that the section off of the turbo is the culprit!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by BossHogg
Unfortunately, the 03-04's have a weird 3 1/2 " off the turbo that tappers into a 4" is what Ive been told. So its not a true 4" like the 05's and therefore I will need the whole system, right? I have the 04, and was told by my local muffler shop that it was a 4", and the guys at banks said I had the 3 1/2' tappered into a 4". Is this right? They were saying that the section off of the turbo is the culprit!
If you have the 305/555 That's right.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:03 PM

What's under the '03 SO?
Old 02-07-2006, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by DirtEater
Boss,
I run the MBRP muffler with the stock exhaust system since it's 4" and doesn't need replacement. Love the sound and noticed a crisper throttle response immediately. It's good!

Call Mark at DPP, or shoot him a PM, and he'll get right back with you. He's one of the vendor/advertisers here on DTR. He'll hook you up with the MBRP muffler.
Terry
Terry do you recall the part number for the muffler you ordered and do you know if it works on the 06?? Thanks Rob
Old 02-07-2006, 11:43 PM

03/04 was 3.5" from turbo to muffler and 4" muffler to tailpipe. I'd suggest calling DPP and talk to them about the best way to do it. They probably have a kit/some sort of adapter pipe for this application.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:03 AM

I've had the MBRP on m y truck for almost three years, so I'll give you the torture test. the tail pipe hanger cracked off the tail pipe, and tore the pipe. stainless pipes. welded it back on. that happened a year ago. I tow a 5'ver. other than that, I'm happy with the sound. Never heard of it being called a fart can, but I guess you could call it that from INSIDE the cab, but not outside!

Quick Reply: I need help picking exhaust!!!!!!